Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I trend neutral on the topic and frankly don’t understand why people use alcohol and/ or recreational drugs to alter their state. Obviously, I am in the minority.
That's a "whole 'nother" question. The cynic in me says it stems from weakness, and not wanting to deal with reality. The non hard *ss in me says some people just use it to enhance their fun, and recreation. Maybe the answer is both, or somewhere in the middle. I don't think we should be punishing people that just "alter their state" unless they also commit another crime to either finance their habit, or when they are intoxicated, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Removing the doors from bathroom stalls is dehumanizing. It shames and embarrasses those who are using the bathrooms for their intended purposes. And it avoids the real problem, which is that there are some people who are so in thrall to their drug addiction that they will shoot up in a public place.

The problem being pointed out here isn't so much that there are drug addicts (which can be found in both liberal and conservative jurisdictions, unfortunately) but that the powers-that-be, rather than tackle the improper and illegal usage of the bathroom stalls by the addicts, have chosen to instead humiliate honest people by denying them privacy while they do their business. THAT is the ugly fruit that is borne of liberalism's tendency to coddle those who do wrong and punish those who do right.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
It seems they will install doors but haven't yet.

I see that their project planning is very poor. It would have been better to have the new doors ready when the old doors came off.

Wonder who made that mistake and who they voted for.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Works for me. Let them shoot up behind a dumpster in some alley. When I want to use the bathroom I don't wantbto have to deal with some dead junkie being in the way.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
oh hang on -- in the search for facts look what I found

A security guard tells Denver7 the doors at Civic Center Station were removed three weeks ago and then recently replaced with half doors.

Stall doors removed at bus station over drug abuse - Erie News Now | WICU and WSEE in Erie, PA

So it seems there are doors again. I'm sure the OP is feeling better about Denver now.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's a "whole 'nother" question. The cynic in me says it stems from weakness, and not wanting to deal with reality. The non hard *ss in me says some people just use it to enhance their fun, and recreation. Maybe the answer is both, or somewhere in the middle. I don't think we should be punishing people that just "alter their state" unless they also commit another crime to either finance their habit, or when they are intoxicated, etc.
A heck of a lot more misery has occurred due to alcoholism, throughout history.

I tend to believe there is a genetic predisposition to alcoholism based on twins seapared at birth stats. Some studies suggest that the longer a culture has been exposed to alcohol, a tolerance and sort of Immunity to alcoholism increases. Who knows?

Conversely, anyone can become addicted to opiates/ opioids. The heroin product today is not your grandpa’s drug. Heroin has been historically cut with benign products to stretch the product and increase profits. Heroin is increasingly being cut with far more powerful opioids, Fentanyl and Carfentanol. The cuts are being made at all level of the supply chain, from the source to local distribution networks, often without knowledge of what came before.

There are strips available to test a supply. Some needle exchange sites make strips available to users. Some do not. Not all addicts will waste the time or dope to test.

Fentanyl and Carfentanyl is being cut into the Cocaine supply as well as counterfeit pills sold on the street.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Removing the doors from bathroom stalls is dehumanizing. It shames and embarrasses those who are using the bathrooms for their intended purposes. And it avoids the real problem, which is that there are some people who are so in thrall to their drug addiction that they will shoot up in a public place.

The problem being pointed out here isn't so much that there are drug addicts (which can be found in both liberal and conservative jurisdictions, unfortunately) but that the powers-that-be, rather than tackle the improper and illegal usage of the bathroom stalls by the addicts, have chosen to instead humiliate honest people by denying them privacy while they do their business. THAT is the ugly fruit that is borne of liberalism's tendency to coddle those who do wrong and punish those who do right.
How would the “ powers that be” reasonably tackle the improper and illegal use of public toilets?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A heck of a lot more misery has occurred due to alcoholism, throughout history.

I tend to believe there is a genetic predisposition to alcoholism based on twins seapared at birth stats. Some studies suggest that the longer a culture has been exposed to alcohol, a tolerance and sort of Immunity to alcoholism increases. Who knows?

Conversely, anyone can become addicted to opiates/ opioids. The heroin product today is not your grandpa’s drug. Heroin has been historically cut with benign products to stretch the product and increase profits. Heroin is increasingly being cut with far more powerful opioids, Fentanyl and Carfentanol. The cuts are being made at all level of the supply chain, from the source to local distribution networks, often without knowledge of what came before.

There are strips available to test a supply. Some needle exchange sites make strips available to users. Some do not. Not all addicts will waste the time or dope to test.

Fentanyl and Carfentanyl is being cut into the Cocaine supply as well as counterfeit pills sold on the street.
I include alcohol as a dangerous drug, yet it is legal. I agree that it has caused a lot of problems, maybe even more than what people consider "hard drugs". If alcohol is legal, I don't understand why other drugs aren't legal.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
A quick google search brought up a report from 6 months ago that says Colorado has the 5th healthiest economy in the United States.

Link: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...onomies/21697/

Why do far-right conservatives on this site hate Colorado so much??

Old 12-19-2018, 11:05 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Heroin use is way up under Trump, nationwide. Deal with it.
Then maybe the TDS inflicted should seek therapy, not drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies