Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Millenials
Yes, millennials are very intolerant of others 66 38.60%
No, millenials are just like every other generation 56 32.75%
Not sure/Maybe/Can't answer 3 1.75%
Some millenials are awful and others aren't 46 26.90%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:26 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Millenials seem to be pretty much clueless, unaware of whats going on around them and totally self absorbed. They worry about themselves and nobody else.
I don't see them joining hate groups or being activists unless there's a payoff for them personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
People always seem to forget that millennials are between the ages of 22 and 35 and have jobs. Just like any other generation, we have tolerant and intolerant people. We have some people who are losers and some who make $100K/yr or more.

My personal opinion: Millennials are more accepting of gays, minorities, mixed race relationships, and other religions compared to other age groups. However my age group does seems to have a problem with being accepting of people with differing political beliefs.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Millenials seem to be pretty much clueless, unaware of whats going on around them and totally self absorbed. They worry about themselves and nobody else.
I don't see them joining hate groups or being activists unless there's a payoff for them personally.
Poster unable to spell "Millennials" accuses others of being "clueless." The irony train has just pulled in to the station, should anyone else like to climb aboard.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Oh look, more hatred of the young.
millennial snowflakery at its finest. the least bit of criticism invariably triggers their mindlessly-shriek-'hatred!' button.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:52 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh look, EVERYTHING ALWAYS has to get back to African chiefs selling their own kind to the Portuguese.

No, Boomers did Not raise the Millenials. We raised the Gen-Xers that raised the little snowflakes.
The vast majority of Millennials (born 1981 to 1997) were born to Boomers.

I'm a mid-point Boomer. My oldest child just turned 40 (young X-genner) and my youngest just turned 30 (mid-point Millennial).

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. You'll find folks of all characteristics in any age group.
There is actually a distinct difference with regard to race and gender attitudes between Boomers and Millennials. That's because the legislation of the 60s very sharply differentiates US culture.

The late 60s through the mid 80s were the transition years. The United States prior to the 80s is practically a different planet from the US after the 80s.

However, I've come to realize over the last decade that even though we Boomers came of age during the transition years, we largely have not changed from the way we were raised on that "other planet" during the latter 40s through the mid 60s.

Boomers as a generation are actually very different from our Millennial children as a generation with regard to racial and gender attitudes.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Why is this thread even being considered?

Has anyone watched:
* Mad Men
* The Wire
* Hidden Figures (okay movie, good message)
* Forrest Gump
* American History X
* Stand And Deliver
* Boardwalk Empire
* The Sopranos
* The Deuce (Hey, HBO does a good period piece)

Or considered:
* Anything covering the Civil Rights Era
* Heard of ethnic minorities (or women for that manner) plight in the US before 1960

Or, you know, read any history or popular stories pre-1980?

So nah. The current generation is quite tolerant and policies popular among us reflect that.

Sure, there's still some sour grapes in the bunch but, overall, we're quite receptive to whatever someone is.

So... OP.... Wut?

Was High THAT uninformative when you went?
Ran track with Jesus maybe?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:46 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
I'm a millennial (late 80s model, pre-soypoisoning), I would say it's uncertain whether other millennials are more or less tolerant overall compared to anyone else, BUT most millennials are definitively tolerant about very different things than previous generations.

Millennials are tolerant towards different cultures and races, etc the "PC" culture is something the typical millennial is extremely in tune with.
However, when it comes to things like different opinions than their own on subjects like borders, migration, sexual deviants, climate etc there is absolutely no tolerance.

Edit;
I believe the term "tolerance" has changed meaning, from tolerating different things to a special brand or a group of things to specifically tolerate.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:48 PM

672 posts, read 256,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Poster unable to spell "Millennials" accuses others of being "clueless." The irony train has just pulled in to the station, should anyone else like to climb aboard.
LOL. Too true.

The concentration of dingbats on this site makes my head hurt.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
All younger generations are impatient and want the world to change overnight. Probably no generation more than the Boomers in their day. I think the current crop of young people are frustrated and have a bitter streak but don't seem to have any sort of commonality of purpose or enthusiasm for getting organized for change. I hear a lot of whimpering -- and God knows they have things to complain about and organize themselves to change -- but I don't see a great deal of action. Apathy is not tolerance. I see docile people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies