Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
No, you don't get to rapidly turn the country upside down and then say the conservative thing is to tread lightly when trying to turn things right again. Allowing ideological rivals to tell you what your ideals force you to accept is always a losing proposition. Sometimes a bull in the china shop is exactly what is needed, and this is one of those times. My own beliefs and ideals are not restricted by twisted ironies found in rigid definitions of limiting labels, so go blow that smoke up someone else's leg.
You got what you wished for.

Only problem is that your boy Trump only knows how to destroy and dismantle, but not constructively build something. He's got no solutions in the wake of blowing stuff up.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Cuban is a successful businessman though, with a much cleaner background.

And he's registered as an Independent.
Thank you for correcting that poster

Old 12-19-2018, 11:15 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And that is also the way I see it. I suspect that both of those guys would have been chewed up by the media and the Hillary team once the commercials started up. They would have played nice (like Romney, like McCain), they would have fought the good fight, but in the end they would have gone down to defeat something like 50% to 47%, and Hillary would have had her glass ceiling shattered. One thing I knew about Trump from day one is that he would hit back as hard or harder, and he surely didn't disappoint with that.
The establishment GOP was willing to play nice and lose gracefully because at the end of the day they were not diametrically opposed to the direction the establishment democrats were looking to take our country in. Basically it was the same general direction they supported, with just a few cosmetic differences. Trump's victory was a result of the voters rejection of that establishment agenda, and that agenda is exactly what we will go back to if we throw the towel in on Trump without first offering up an alternative. It's not about Trump the person it's about what he and his supporters were standing up against. You don't just meekly sit back down when you hit a bit of turbulence.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump was the right guy at the right time. He was possibly the only R candidate in '16 that could have beaten Hillary, and he did just that. You can call it Russian collusion if you want, you can say it was an act of God, whatever makes you happy. As a guy who can't stand politicians and wanted to see a businessman running things since Perot back in 1992, I had no choice but to vote for him. And he's gotten some good things done despite relentless media attacks and the "RESIST" movement started the day after he was elected by the sore losers.

But he's done. Trump isn't going to be around in 2020 to run again. There are too many of his staff in trouble or in prison. Too many scandals, too much shady behavior. Trump's Foundation was just shut down for Pete's sake and you can't blame the media for that one. Chris Matthews predicted Trump will resign within a few weeks and that prediction might just happen.

I'm throwing in the towel. Give me Mark Cuban next time around, and I don't care which party he runs under. Only thing is, Cuban is too smart to give up the life he has to be president. So it will probably be back to the usual assortment of Crooked Clintons and Low Energy Jebs the next time around. This country deserves what it gets.
When Dems won the House my anxiety level went way down, I think it only looks like Trump did a good job for you. People believe him instead of the media. Both aren't reliable but at least the media hasn't caused mayhem outside of the USA. The media doesn't do any research either. The stock market is way down. China is arresting Canadians because the US wants Meng extradited and Canada arrests her at US request. China, N. Korea, and Russia are on heightened alert. Saudi Arabia is a friend. Now, after the new trade agreement (new NAFTA) illegal tariffs on Canadian goods are still in effect. (25% on steel, 25% on softwood lumber). The president is a pariah to trading partners. It's hard to like the Orange when he tells lies so much.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:27 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
No, you don't get to rapidly turn the country upside down and then say the conservative thing is to tread lightly when trying to turn things right again. ...
Quote:
The establishment GOP was willing to play nice and lose gracefully because at the end of the day they were not diametrically opposed to the direction the establishment democrats were looking to take our country in. Basically it was the same general direction they supported, with just a few cosmetic differences....
First you imply that Obama was a radical who sharply departed from precedent, so that an equally sharp reversal would be necessary. Now you say that Democrats and Republicans are sufficiently similar, and have both been inexorably leading the country astray, such that a radical departure is necessary from both. Which is it?

And exactly what, pray tell, is to grievously wrong with the trends over say the past 40 years, that so grievously require correction and radical revision?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Thank you for your honesty and level headed thread. I'm sorry I couldn't rep you again. I agree that it doesn't look good for Trump, but I'm waiting for all of the cards to be on the table before I would put that last nail in the coffin of Trump's presidency. We have had bad, corrupt president's before and we will have them again. We have to have faith in "We The People' because we have the ultimate power to change things.

If Trump is indeed a mob boss and running a criminal enterprise in the white house, then we all have to join hands and reverse that mistake. Kudos to you for looking at facts vs emotional rhetoric.

I'm hoping that the die hard Trump supporters come around and not follow a sinking ship if indeed that's the direction his presidency is heading. We must always put country ahead of one man. That should always be our common link as American's.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
None of what has happened with Trump and his skeevy associates has surprised me. He is a booby and isn't the fake nicey nice politician we are all used to seeing. He is not a conservative. However none of it has made me wish Hillary were president. I would rather see skeevy things in the open than all the corruption, and skeeviness, that is hidden by those that made a life of DC politics on the down low. If Trump goes down it will be of his own making.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:02 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
First you imply that Obama was a radical who sharply departed from precedent, so that an equally sharp reversal would be necessary. Now you say that Democrats and Republicans are sufficiently similar, and have both been inexorably leading the country astray, such that a radical departure is necessary from both. Which is it?

And exactly what, pray tell, is to grievously wrong with the trends over say the past 40 years, that so grievously require correction and radical revision?
You're putting words in my mouth then trying to twist them in to logic that forces me to ironically support what I do not support. It's not going to happen. I'm not constrained by your labels or your convoluted and limiting definitions of them. If you think you've found a clever path that leads me to a place I've no interest in going, I will be standing firmly outside that path.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
2015: Trump? he won't even win the nomination!

2016: Trump won't win the election!

2017: Russia interfered Trump will be impeached!

2018: Trump doesn't have much longer!

Man oh man, I love it! So fun to watch these lefties still whine and cry that their president was rejected along with their handout queen! #MAGA

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-19-2018, 12:15 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Ah, so yet another one time Trump devotee now admits they were wrong and falls back on the excuse that there was no other option...

truth is you guys had a dozen folk who were better than Trump but you guys loved, just loved the idea of "sticking it" to America....

Result?

You guys killed the only party and elevated the Democratic Party to new heights. Trump declared the midterms a vote on him, and then you lost 40 seats and that is despite the gerrymandering, voter suppression and two years of nonstop campaigning by Trump...

I was kind of with you until the "new heights" part.

LOL

Ay yi yi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies