Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not arguing that the US should stay. The middle east is already broken, it will stay broken for a good long time to come, and we've already done our share, and more, in helping to break it. I fear the consequences, but - stay or go, it's hard to see which is the better choice.

I just wonder why Trump listens to Putin, and not his own advisors.
You started off real good then crashed and burned. Trump isn't listening to Putin. He's doing what he feels is right and so do million upon million of Americans. Don't you know by now that the military advisors will ALWAYS opt to stay and play with their toys? EVERY SINGLE TIME they will. That's what they do, they live for that ****. Who cares if that country crashes and burns. The world won't even notice in the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
thank you President Trump for ending Obama's illegal war in Syria.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If that is true, then you knew Trump lied about it.
Oh, I have no doubt Trump lies, about everything. Not understanding your point.

I have zero care for his reasons, I care about the action, he can say he is withdrawing due to its raining outside for all I care.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You should be happy, it confirms that there are indeed many imperialistic war hawks in the R party which is what the Left likes to say on a consistent basis. Now THEY are the hawks. Interesting indeed.

Don’t be silly.

Hawk is bipartisan.

There are endless brands within each party.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
If you or a loved one suffer fromTDS, seek help.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Don’t be silly.

Hawk is bipartisan.

There are endless brands within each party.
Yes they are bipartisan, that I will agree on, but your everyday Left wing peace lover never has been and now we are seeing more and more of them opt for military intervention. It's baffling. Not saying that's you.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:25 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When you promise two oppoising things, you can always say you kept your promise.

1. Will fight terrorism
2. Will stop fighting terrorism

So, you can brag about keeping your word no matter what you do, and some people will actually think you were being honest.

You can even promise three things

1. I will raise taxes
2. I will cut taxes
3. I will keep taxes the same

No matter what you do, or don't do anything at all, you can always say you kept your promise.

The obvious problem is that when you keep one promise, you break the other.
People cried about unfair treatment when he banned people from terror involved countries to enter here, and beefed up our ports. That was done to fight terror.

Babysitting in the middle east only fuels terror, and our motives there are far from innocent. That excuse that we fight them there instead of here is ridiculous. If you buy that then there isn't much more I can say and I'm not a Republican Trump voter either, I'm just being honest.

There is a lot of useful information if you want to know why we go there, and what they think of us over there you should indulge. Americans are not seen as the saviors we imagine we are by a long shot. We kill a lot of people over there.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
If the troops are left in Syria the left whines and cries. If the troops are withdrawn the left whines and cries.

The common denominator is that the left whines and cries. A lot. About everything.
No diff than when many Republicans whined when the Obama Admin chose to honor the Bush Admin’s 2008 Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) to withdraw all troops from Iraq by 12/31/2011.

Once in, pulling out of anywhere, will never please all the people, all the time.

There is no question that if instead announcing a complete withdrawal, Trump said “our work is not done” , some of Trump’s base would support it. In other words, the core bases of any POTUS tend to nod in agreement , when their leader speaks.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You started off real good then crashed and burned. Trump isn't listening to Putin. He's doing what he feels is right and so do million upon million of Americans. Don't you know by now that the military advisors will ALWAYS opt to stay and play with their toys? EVERY SINGLE TIME they will. That's what they do, they live for that ****. Who cares if that country crashes and burns. The world won't even notice in the big picture.
How do you know? Seriously, how do you know that?

I agree with you about military advisors. But Trump's appointees are hard-line hawks like John Bolton, and not a single peacenik that I can see. I just find this situation - odd. It's not of a piece with his campaign rhetoric about national security, increasing our military, standing up to ISIS in particular or middle eastern terrorists in general, etc,

Although his caving in over Kashoggi is nauseating, at least it is consistent with his (and American foreign policy) past actions regarding Saudi Arabia. This sudden decision, out of the blue, to withdraw from Syria just sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

As I said, I don't have an opinion about the withdrawal one way or the other - it's ****ed, and will remain ****ed for a good long time to come. I think we have yet to suffer the real consequences of what we've already done, and I see no way to fend off those consequences.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-20-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
This just proves the meme- if Trump cured cancer, they’d complain that he put doctors outta work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies