Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 04:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
We invaded Iraq 15 years ago, how long do we have to wait??
Until you're ready to initiate conflict with Iran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Are we in Syria to fight ISIS, or to topple Assad?
Topple Assad.

Assad escaped the Arab Spring bank-rolled by Bush and Obama.

By getting rid of Assad, your new puppet can terminate the agreement for the Russian air base and naval base, and that gives the US total unfettered control of the Mediterranean.

Also, with your new puppet, it is less likely Iran will be able to launch any attacks against Israel when you initiate conflict with Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:46 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think the US has ever had "Allies" except maybe the UK during WW2 (but that came with strings as well) Even Israel isn't an Allie... We use them as much as they use us.... No one country particularly America is friends for the sake of Humanity.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let's assume you are right, was it right that the Secretary of Defense would find out about a withdrawal in a tweet? That our allies would also get no heads up or those in charge of our troops would like wise hear about it in a tweet? Trump is too impulsive and that impulsiveness is darn right dangerous when you're never more than a few feet from the nuclear codes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Nixon was thought so unstable right before he abdicated that the Chief of Staff (then Haig) and the Defense Secretary (then Schlesinger) gave instructions that any attempt by Nixon to access the codes or to unilaterally order some sort of military response was to result in Haig and Schlesinger being immediately notified.

That sounds like a gentle coup of sorts and not constitutional in the least but that we are Americans does not mean that desperate times cannot arrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That makes zero sense.

Nixon was many things, but he was not a war-monger. ...
Here, I googled up a reference. I first read of it in a book about the period. My post mentioned Schlesinger and Haig where the below talks about Kissinger. It may well have been the Isaacson book on Kissinger where I saw it and so no doubt I've confused "Haig" and "Kissinger":

Quote:
Moreover, Defense Secretary James Schlesinger recalled years later that in the final days of the Nixon presidency he had issued an unprecedented set of orders: If the president gave any nuclear launch order, military commanders should check with either him or Secretary of State Henry Kissinger before executing them. Schlesinger feared that the president, who seemed depressed and was drinking heavily, might order Armageddon. Nixon himself had stoked official fears during a meeting with congressmen during which he reportedly said, “I can go in my office and pick up a telephone, and in 25 minutes, millions of people will be dead.” Senator Alan Cranston had phoned Schlesinger, warning about “the need for keeping a berserk president from plunging us into a holocaust.”
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...d-nixon-215478

Old 12-21-2018, 06:33 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Good news everybody! Prince MBS will be sending troops to help the Kurds when ours leave.
The Middle East Coalition will be working as it's supposed to.

I doubt censored opposition media will report the story.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...a/#more-158042

Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Terrorists did. Have you heard?
No idea what you are talking about. Should I google it?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Carl Rove was on Mornings with Maria this morning. I couldn’t disagree more with his foreign policy, he’s saying our allies in the Middle East are disappointed with this move. What allies exactly do we have in the Middle East besides Israel? He then said the US is sending a message to just wait out the US to take power. By this logic we will never leave. We invaded Iraq 15 years ago, how long do we have to wait?? That logic is insanity.

Everything we get involved in over there is a disaster, from Iraq to Syria to Libya to supporting the Muslim brotherhood in Egypt. Ours “experts†have been wrong about everything. We give billions a year in foreign aid to governments that hate us.

This.Isnt.Working
Carl isn't happy about his investment. Carl should also be on the list of those who deserve to rot in hell for what they have done.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
For all those concerned about US soldiers at risk in Syria, there have been a total of five killed since 2015.
Tens to hundreds of thousands of dead innocent people because of our actions. People are people are people. Nothing makes a US soldiers life worth more than a civilians anywhere. You are not special based upon nothing more than your place of birth.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So you are for an unnecessary War of Choice simply because you hate Trump.
And you cheered when Trump escalated our wars of choice.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
For all those concerned about US soldiers at risk in Syria, there have been a total of five killed since 2015. One in an airplane crash, the other four on the ground. Two of those died in vehicular rollovers, the other two from IEDs. Needless to say, their sacrifices are appreciated.

Civilian deaths? Over 220,000 dead since March 2011. Of those 198,000 died at the hands of Syrian governmental forces. Even ISIS only managed to kill a little less than 5,000.

Cry Me a River appears the appropriate response to concerns we are wronging Assad. The diplomats can sort that one out.

Our concern is ISIS. Now, Trump, says don't worry: "They are defeated." Our President says that those in the military who disagree are spreading "fake news."

And if Trump's analysis is wrong? Someone above said, we'll just send in American troops to take care of them.

There was concern early on that Trump might do that just. During the campaign, Trump said: "As president, I will call for an international conference focused on this goal. We will work side-by-side with our friends in the Middle East, including our greatest ally, Israel." And “We are going to convene my top generals and give them a simple instruction. They will have 30 days to submit to the Oval Office a plan for soundly and quickly defeating ISIS. We have no choice.”

Well, Trump's "top general" just said we had to finish the job. And the "friends in the Middle East" who did the fighting have just been shafted. With ISIS still THERE - many sitting around Kurdish prison camps. So what happens next? To the bad guys, the ones that Trump is so concerned will make it to the US that he plunged into a fight with the Courts over visas.
Well, since ISIS has only killed a little less than 5,000, there is no reason for the US to be there since the main reason is to defeat ISIS, right? Seems Assad has a handle on things just fine, and ISIS really is not a significant issue being how little impact they have.

By the way, those civilians are dead because the US, Saudi Arabia, and who knows else, supplied material support to anti-Assad forces. If that had not happened, the war would have been over years ago, those people would not have been killed. SO thank the US for interference in the internal affairs of another country (yet gets mad when another country, like Russia, interferes with ours via some tweets and Facebook postings).

Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bin Laden would alive if we had waited for invitations.
So, you are saying it is ok to enter a country without permission to execute/capture someone?

I am eagerly waiting for your answer on this, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies