Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nothing is stopping anyone from voluntarily giving. Make means-tested assistance programs funded by voluntary donations, only. Should be no problem. Just look at how many people voice support for them. They can put their own money where their mouths are. Problem solved.
That is exactly what I stated. Faith-based charities and nonprofits. People who do put their money where their mouths are. The rest is just partisan propaganda.

"...Around 2/3 of food stamp recipients are not expected to work because they are senior citizens on a reduced income, people with disabilities, or children....

http://www.justharvest.org/advocacy/...p-food-stamps/

Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Trump shut down the government and the democrats insist on keeping it closed.

Trump is in DC, Pelosi is in HI. You tell me who insists on keeping the government shut down.
We still need McConnell and Ryan at least until the 3rd of Jan. Where are they?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, you mentioned you posted links--but they did not support your assertion.
Yes, they did. Read the data. Democrats outnumber Republicans on Food Stamps and other means-tested public assistance programs by a ratio of more than 2 to 1. How are you missing that fact?
Quote:
Also please post the methodology for obtaining party affiliation, in order to make such general assumptions.
Both The Maxwell School (syracuse.edu) and Pew Research have links to their methodology. Do your homework.

Another study should be conducted as to why Democrats are overwhelmingly so much less able to support themselves and their families than are Republicans. That's a huge societal problem exhibited overwhelmingly by a single political demographic group.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That is exactly what I stated. Faith-based charities and nonprofits. People who do put their money where their mouths are. The rest is just partisan propaganda.

"...Around 2/3 of food stamp recipients are not expected to work because they are senior citizens on a reduced income, people with disabilities, or children....

The Truth About Food Stamps - Just Harvest
Food stamps enable people who can't afford to have children to keep pumping out babies.

IMO instead of the SNAP program, there should be soup kitchens making healthy meals all day long. And those who were eligible for food stamps can instead get three healthy meals a day there. No soda or junk food available.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:59 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Food stamps enable people who can't afford to have children to keep pumping out babies.

IMO instead of the SNAP program, there should be soup kitchens making healthy meals all day long. And those who were eligible for food stamps can instead get three healthy meals a day there. No soda or junk food available.
I agree, and soup kitchens should include guidance such as sermons being delivered all day long, on the things those eating need to do to stand on their own 2 feet like adults again.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
A lot of people do need help, but it shouldn't be a life long handout. And there are way to many families that are on the dole generation after generation !

Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

No one ever had a baby because of SNAP and you know it. And how are your "soup kitchens" going to help rural people, are you going to create a "soup kitchen" in every zip code in the US? Corporate lobbyists make sure that people can continue to buy soda and chips with SNAP benefits. If that bothers you then why don't you do something about the real issue we have in the US, the insane influence of lobbying?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 AM

15 posts, read 11,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
First of all, I live in a very Red state and the majority of food stamps recipients here are actually Democrats. The poorest areas of my state are consistently Democrat voting areas.

Also if we get rid of birthright citizenship we'll no longer have so many anchor babies and Dreamers qualifying for foodstamps.
I thought that poor people didn't vote. If they don't vote, how can they be Democrats?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Trump shut down the government and the democrats insist on keeping it closed.

Trump is in DC, Pelosi is in HI. You tell me who insists on keeping the government shut down.
Why is Trump in DC if no one from congress is there, I assume its just optics or he is negotiating a deal with himself. He is one crafty businessman, this is why people voted for him.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
A lot of people do need help, but it shouldn't be a life long handout. And there are way to many families that are on the dole generation after generation !
So...your answer is that we arbitrarily cut off SNAP benefits after a certain amount of time...interesting. Now give me your opinion as to how long each of the following people should be "allowed' to receive SNAP benefits. How about kids, 60 days? And the disabled and elderly what do you say, is 6 months long enough?

The reason I ask that is because I'm not sure you know who receives SNAP benefits:

68% of SNAP participants are in families with children
33% are in families with members who are elderly or have disabilities
44% are in working families

You can look up the data for your state here:
https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...sheets#Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies