Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,408,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Personally I don't know how anyone could remain Catholic after all of these problems.
I'm Protestant by the way-- we don't have these issues.
Just calling it like I see it.
Protestants don't have these issues? Are you really that deeply in denial?

Protestants have these issues just as much as Catholics do, that is for sure. People who molest children seek out positions of power. That includes clergy of all denominations.

No excuses for the Catholic church whatsoever. I hope this newer, more liberal pope takes better action than his conservative predecessors ever did. Sexual abusers should be punished, as well as those who protected them.

But to say that Protestants don't have these issues is the absolute height of denial. My good friend's son just went through this, in their protestant church. It was awful, is awful. And it happens more than you clearly want to admit. Far more than you want to admit.

Do a little research. Every religious organization needs to DO MORE. Protect the children. There are failures everywhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.941d2b50aa59

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2018/se...its-own-demons

https://www.christianheadlines.com/c...lic-thing.html

https://erlc.com/resource-library/ar...or-protestants

And keep searching. What is likely is that the problem in protestant churches is as bad or worse. Don't bury your head in the sand if you really care about the victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 06:32 PM

34,162 posts, read 17,249,840 times
What I would favor is remove their Tax Exempt Status unless they fund a fully paid Detective in each church or other religious institution who reports directly to a District Attorney, with all interactions between anyone under 18 and any religious institution employee having to be cleared through the LEO first. That LEO should have the ability to demand to be in attendance, at all times, such interactions.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Protestants don't have these issues? Are you really that deeply in denial?

Protestants have these issues just as much as Catholics do, that is for sure. People who molest children seek out positions of power. That includes clergy of all denominations.

No excuses for the Catholic church whatsoever. I hope this newer, more liberal pope takes better action than his conservative predecessors ever did. Sexual abusers should be punished, as well as those who protected them.

But to say that Protestants don't have these issues is the absolute height of denial. My good friend's son just went through this, in their protestant church. It was awful, is awful. And it happens more than you clearly want to admit. Far more than you want to admit.

Do a little research. Every religious organization needs to DO MORE. Protect the children. There are failures everywhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.941d2b50aa59

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2018/se...its-own-demons

https://www.christianheadlines.com/c...lic-thing.html

https://erlc.com/resource-library/ar...or-protestants

And keep searching. What is likely is that the problem in protestant churches is as bad or worse. Don't bury your head in the sand if you really care about the victims.
The first article is an attempt to demonize "evangelicals". A group the Washington Post see as guilty for Trump.

The second is a "what if". Conjecture.

The third is about adults.

I quit reading the fourth when it first started with this.

The most recent major manifestation of the widespread Catholic sex abuse scandal occurred in the diocese of Pennsylvania. Investigators discovered that, over decades, numerous priests abused especially young men

No, this is not about young men. It's about young boys.

There are abuses in every walk of life unfortunately. Religion, teaching, law enforcement, etc. The Catholic Church has been caught over and over and over trying to cover up their abuse.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What I would favor is remove their Tax Exempt Status unless they fund a fully paid Detective in each church or other religious institution who reports directly to a District Attorney, with all interactions between anyone under 18 and any religious institution employee having to be cleared through the LEO first. That LEO should have the ability to demand to be in attendance, at all times, such interactions.
You would tie a tax status to doing what is right? You would allow them to continue to abuse if they gave up their status?

Old 12-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You would tie a tax status to doing what is right? You would allow them to continue to abuse if they gave up their status?
No, I would tie a tax status to insuring they agree to a government, LEO internal monitor.

If they failed to do so, I'd still prosecute pervs and protectors to the max, but on top of that, strip them of any tax breaks they have gotten used to.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
No, I would tie a tax status to insuring they agree to a government, LEO internal monitor.

If they failed to do so, I'd still prosecute pervs and protectors to the max, but on top of that, strip them of any tax breaks they have gotten used to.
I'm in no mood to explain how taxes here work again.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm in no mood to explain how taxes here work again.
$$$$ are all the RCC cares about. That is why I would favor using $$$$ as a weapon against their massive indifference to their pedophilia problem.

Not to give them more $$$$, but to leave them less $$$$ as an incentive to change their ways.

Until they do, I'd live to see the few attempts to try Bishops under RICO utilized more often. RICO scares any business to death. Its a very powerful tool for any prosecutor with the fortitude to utilize it.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
$$$$ are all the RCC cares about. That is why I would favor using $$$$ as a weapon against their massive indifference to their pedophilia problem.

Not to give them more $$$$, but to leave them less $$$$ as an incentive to change their ways.

Until they do, I'd live to see the few attempts to try Bishops under RICO utilized more often. RICO scares any business to death. Its a very powerful tool for any prosecutor with the fortitude to utilize it.
I could go for that. The simple fact is law enforcement could put a bunch of these guys in prison under regular laws but for some reason simply refuse to.

We arrest people everyday for smoking up a little but let these guys continue their crimes for years. It's another thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,117,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
We are, no more money to the bishops until this mess is cleared up. Only money to run the parish but that is all. Many large groups have already stopped their yearly donations.
How do you know your parish doesn't now, or hasn't in the past, harbored a molester? And a portion of the collection always goes to the larger organization. So don't kid yourself, you are supporting the church at large in their child molestation and cover up with every dollar you drop in that collection plate.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,694,388 times
Quote:
Separation of church and state wouldnt allow that.

They could fund a private detective that reports to the bishop or even the pope though, that may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies