Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wrong, agencies can "NIPER" (not sure if that is the correct spelling) between agencies, they do it all the time...
Not without congressional approval

Quote:
OTHER WAYS TO FUND THE WALL: At the White House, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump is now looking for other funds to pay for his pet project. “We are looking at existing funding through other agencies right now that we can draw on to do that immediately.” The problem is Congress would have to approve any money that “reprogrammed” from its original appropriated purpose.

Sanders also made the curious argument that funds from other agencies are somehow not taxpayers’ money. “We're not asking American taxpayers for that,” she said, repeating the president’s proposition that somehow the revamped U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal would result in a positive cash flow that would in effect pay for the wall. “He's saying that the revenue provided, and the money that would be saved through the USMCA deal, we can pay for the wall four times over,” Sanders said. “And by doing that new trade deal we have the opportunity to pay for the wall.”

Pressed on how the deal would bring new money into the Treasury, Sanders said simply, “There have been a number of things that we've looked at, in which we know we'll have additional revenue that comes in through the USMCA.”

It was an argument Trump made in his Oval Office meeting last week with Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Pelosi, the likely next House speaker, mocked afterward, “What money? What money? What money?” Pelosi said. “The money that businesses make? What money is he talking about that's going to go pay for the wall? It just doesn't measure up.” https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...encies-budgets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 01:29 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Again, tell that to Israel.
I guess those missile attacks do not come over their walls.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:31 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Border wall GoFundMe is nearly $13 million. How many miles would that buy? It would be a good idea for the page to indicate that with every million added.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What if people who think like I do that if Law enforcement can read a license plate from a satellite, they also have tools to spot illegals crossing the border?

The problem is the BP cannot get to them. The border patrol is 2000 employees short now.

That's precisely why we need the wall - to give BP agents time to get to them.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:36 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
What if it doesn't? The druggies even tunneled under that wall in San Diego. Someone soon will jump in to inform me of tunnel sensors. But they only sense car fumes, not digging the tunnel.

Did not make it: "On September 19, Mexico State Police, Policia Estatal Preventiva (PEP), and Mexican military forces found the tunnel opening approximately 221 feet south of the border."

Quote:
What if people who think like I do that if Law enforcement can read a license plate from a satellite, they also have tools to spot illegals crossing the border?.

Because there maybe no BP around.

Quote:
The problem is the BP cannot get to them. The border patrol is 2000 employees short now. .

See, you answered your own question.

Quote:
What if it passes today, when will the lawsuits be settled? We are still months, maybe years away from the wall..

What law suits?

Here is what is in progress:

Quote:
El Centro Project (2.25 miles): Completed.
El Paso Project (20 miles): Completed
San Diego Primary Project (14 miles): Completion anticipated in May 2019.
El Paso Project (4 miles): Construction started in September.

Quote:
In FY18, Congress provided $1.375B for border wall construction which equates to approximately 84 miles of border wall in multiple locations across the Southwest border, including:
  • $251M for a secondary border wall in the San Diego Sector
  • $445M to construct a new levee wall system in the Rio Grande Valley Sector
  • $196M to construct a new steel bollard wall system in Rio Grande Valley Sector
  • $445M for a primary pedestrian wall in San Diego, El Centro, Yuma and Tucson Sectors

^^^Paid for, awaiting start date.

Quote:
DHS is positioned to construct 215 miles of Border Patrol’s highest priority border wall miles including:
  • ~5 miles in San Diego Sector in California
  • ~14 miles in El Centro Sector in California
  • ~27 miles in Yuma Sector in Arizona
  • ~9 miles in El Paso Sector in New Mexico
  • ~55 miles in Laredo Sector in Texas
  • ~104 miles in Rio Grande Valley Sector in Texas

Quote:
I understand that POC posters are rarely wrong, but, what if?

Nope, been wrong many times and have apologized for it...

We can what if the heck out of anything, and then you have actual data coming form the BP which is where I got the info from.

Here is another nice little tidbit:

'
Quote:
For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent.

Don't believe me, here is the link: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Here is another link that you wont here about: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

17 criminal aliens are caught at the border every single day....

Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Congressman Tim Ryan sums it up perfectly in this short video:

https://twitter.com/rob_bennett/stat...76638142259200

Tim Ryan for president!

Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Who cares?

Since day one, Trump supporters never took him literally that Mexico would pay for the wall....at least not directly.

At worst, Trump make a campaign promise that he couldn't keep....

As if he's the only politician to ever do so .... lol..

But Democrats would be against it even if Mexico was paying for it. So what the point in harping on it?

It's a non issue and nothing but a distraction from the reason that you're against it.
Nope. I think democrats would be delighted to have the "deal-maker" get Mexico to pay for his wall!

Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why has he lost his mind? Because he is going for the wall which he RAN ON?
Trump did not run on "building a wall", he ran on "building a wall that Mexico would pay for", period.

Not a single dollar for the wall is supposed to come from American taxpayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Border wall GoFundMe is nearly $13 million. How many miles would that buy? It would be a good idea for the page to indicate that with every million added.
At most about one-half mile.

Trump's border wall -- how much it will actually cost according to a statistician

23,985 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Did not make it: "On September 19, Mexico State Police, Policia Estatal Preventiva (PEP), and Mexican military forces found the tunnel opening approximately 221 feet south of the border."

Because there maybe no BP around.

See, you answered your own question.

What law suits?

Here is what is in progress:

^^^Paid for, awaiting start date.

Nope, been wrong many times and have apologized for it...

We can what if the heck out of anything, and then you have actual data coming form the BP which is where I got the info from.

Here is another nice little tidbit:

'

Don't believe me, here is the link: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Here is another link that you wont here about: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

17 criminal aliens are caught at the border every single day....
I have no doubt people cross and some are apprehended daily. Drunk drivers who are illegal have wrecks daily in Houston. I know of people who were deported and came back in.

The lawsuit were filed in the Rio Grand Valley, Brownsville area, when W was POTUS. They are still pending.

I just don't think the politicians are serious about illegals. While Texas AG, a current senator ruled the Mexican IDs could be used for legal ID in Texas. That meant illegals could open bank accounts, finance cars and houses, etc. Nobody cared about illegals 15 years ago. As long as they were Mexican.

Even with senior tax exemption I pay several hundred a year to the Harris county hospital district. That's for treating indigents, most of whom are illegals. They even get dialysis. I won't even calculate how much of my several thousand in school taxes pay for ESL. Blood pressure is already too high.

I'd like all illegals stopped and the ones here sent home. But that would take years and billions, too. And, it's not a priority. Especially when the National Chamber of Commerce and others lobby strongly for illegal labor.

The wall will just stop some. Clever ones will still get around and over and go where there is no wall. It will just be a little harder.

I just think there are better and cheaper ways to do it. Especially since reading what the wall maintenance will cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies