Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:29 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Do you have a fence around your yard?
Nope.

Quote:
Are you against those too?
Nope.

But if you don't know the difference between a fenced-in yard and a border wall, there can be nothing further to discuss.

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-20-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
You have a fly in your house that is bugging you. You get a shotgun to kill it. While trying you blow big holes in your walls.

Your wife comes home and has a fit. You ask her "would it be ok to use the shot gun if I hadn't put such big holes in our walls"?

Enact mandatory e-verify and prosecute anyone caught not using it. I have NO desire to listen to anything else until we do that.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
In addition to reasonable immigration reform, build away.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Quote:
Do you have a fence around your yard? Are you against those too?
Honestly, you are better off asking the Mongols, does having a wall deter you from invading China?

I am fine with having a wall as long as the following holds true:

- my hard-earned money isn't used to build it
- our military isn't forced to build it
- we can successfully get the land needed w/o incurring ridiculous amount in legal costs
- nobody dies or suffers from the wall being built (eg. those who must give up their land/property near the wall are compensated fairly)

Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
I’ve seen a lot of excuses for not wanting the wall is the price tag. They say it’s a waste of tax payer money. Fair enough. But what if money or your taxes weren’t an issue and it was paid for by somebody else? Would you support it? Or would you still be against it because the more illegals, the better?
You mean like, if we already had a wall, totally paid for, would you want to tear it down?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
I still wouldn't support it either for many reasons already discussed.
  • You can cut through reinforced concrete using a simple benzene torch and a battery powered saw with a diamond tipped blade. Bolt cutters will cut through rebar.
  • You can climb over it using ropes and anchors.
  • You can tunnel under it.
  • Most illegals come here through ports of entries and overstay their visas anyway.
  • It won't do anything to stop asylum seekers.
  • And possibly most importantly, it will infringe on many people and organization's private property rights through the use of emanate domain.

I feel like the wall was always more of a symbol than any practical means of stopping illegal immigration.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I would still be against it because it's ugly and unnecessary. All the other more effective remedies are still available and will work better anyway. Remedies that don't include building walls between ourselves and our neighbors.
That's what those against the Israeli border wall said, too. But, thankfully, Israeli politicians went ahead and built that country's wall. The country is much, much better off and safer for the wall.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Here's a simple reason we shouldn't have a wall: walls don't work. They fail far more often than they succeed. Remember the Great Wall of China and the Berlin Wall? The point is, we are remembering them instead of seeing them now, because they failed, as did many other walls in the past. Diplomacy is a more successful strategy than division, especially division via physical structures.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 PM

532 posts, read 446,436 times
Quote:
I’ve seen a lot of excuses for not wanting the wall is the price tag. They say it’s a waste of tax payer money. Fair enough. But what if money or your taxes weren’t an issue and it was paid for by somebody else? Would you support it? In areas where a strong barrier is logistically feasible and helpful -- YES even better if it were part of a comprehensive immigration policy

Or would you still be against it because the more illegals, the better?
If we expelled all violent criminals and granted legal status to all hard working migrants would we need a wall?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:52 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
I’ve seen a lot of excuses for not wanting the wall is the price tag. They say it’s a waste of tax payer money. Fair enough. But what if money or your taxes weren’t an issue and it was paid for by somebody else? Would you support it? Or would you still be against it because the more illegals, the better?
If money is not an issue then I do not care.
A waste of someone else's money.
We need to enforce the laws on the books against those that hire illegals if we want to be serious about putting a stop to illegals coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies