Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 02:35 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times

Advertisements

I don't want to arm American school teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
No other developed country has to arm teachers...geez, I wonder what they do different.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
I know the gunner wet dream is the steely eyed good guy strides into the room and drops the killer with one shot between the eyes and kisses the girl. I this scenario no one worried about target designation or backgrounds, to target fixation or any real world tactics.
Teachers are teachers. Who killed the cop in the country bar a couple months ago? Other cops. Who killed the guy at home eating ice cream in his underwear? A cop.
Hell, who killed a bunch of Canadians by bombing themin Afghanistan? An American pilot.

These are all trained individuals who make the infliction of bodily harm their business.
I don’t trust a bunch of teachers with an annual certification to respond correctly in the fog of war generated by an active shooter.

And neither should you unless you’re just all dewy eyed over guns.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
No other developed country has to arm teachers...geez, I wonder what they do different.
You're right. They just have terrorist attacks.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Would you rather the teachers have no means of defense? The commision said that if they're going to go through with this, the teachers will be trained. If they're trained, then what's there to worry about?
I imagine cops are better trained than anyone yet cops shoot innocent people a lot...

Why do you want guns in school AT ALL
Put in metal detectors--put in guard that will act to protect students--unlike the cowardly sheriff's deputy that was ON DUTY with a GUN at Parkland when the shooting happened...
Ensure schools have security cameras in all public areas and someone to monitor them
Design schools that facilitate protection vs open access--
So many middle and high schools are designed to look like college campuses with open areas and walking between buildings
That is DANGEROUS IF YOU CANNOT CONTROL ACCESS TO EACH AREA...

Of course they were designed (many of them) decades ago--my own adult kids went to a high school 25 yrs ago that was designed that way...

Don't think a hammer is going to see a nail as anything but a challenge...

Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I know the gunner wet dream is the steely eyed good guy strides into the room and drops the killer with one shot between the eyes and kisses the girl. I this scenario no one worried about target designation or backgrounds, to target fixation or any real world tactics.
Teachers are teachers. Who killed the cop in the country bar a couple months ago? Other cops. Who killed the guy at home eating ice cream in his underwear? A cop.
Hell, who killed a bunch of Canadians by bombing themin Afghanistan? An American pilot.

These are all trained individuals who make the infliction of bodily harm their business.
I don’t trust a bunch of teachers with an annual certification to respond correctly in the fog of war generated by an active shooter.

And neither should you unless you’re just all dewy eyed over guns.
Police are usually annually qualified with their weapo s as well.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:55 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
As the title states, the Parkland Shooting commission, which is mostly made up of law enforcement, almost unanimously recommended training teachers who wants to be armed as a last means of defense. There was only one dissenter. This shoukd be nationwide. Hopefully the commission can convince Florida to pass a law allowing teachers to be armed.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...ailyNewsletter
If a teacher wants to be armed, and has gone through proper training, which most likely will include a Carry Conceal Permit, I am OK with this.

But if a teach does not want to be armed, I also think the schools should invest in a method of re-enforcing and locking the door to also protect our children.

This is not very expensive solution:

https://www.buyemp.com/product/barra...yABEgK0ovD_BwE

Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Utah has allowed teachers to C/C for many years. They don’t ask or impose any special requirements. Some teachers do and some don’t.

Think people might be surprised how many teachers discretely C/C throughout the US.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I don't want to arm American school teachers.
Would you want them to be able to opt to be trained and armed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies