Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They wont have to do a 'mass confiscation' of guns, the way things are going, people will eventually hand them over willingly!

Isnt it kind of strange and suspicious that after EVERY single mass shooting, there is a 'gun buy back or turn in' event, with long lines of people waiting to hand over their guns...to law enforcement no doubt!? LOL The fact that 'law enforcement' are the ones collecting/ accepting, them is very suspicious in itself!!
Yeah and some progressives who wants gun control complains about police brutality as once mentionned in some memes.
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1343...control-debate
https://imgflip.com/i/257ors

Meanwhile in Brazil, President Bolsonaro will sign a decree allowing Brazilians citizens gun rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq61sdu7d7w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 04:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What more do you want the background check to look for? It already looks for a violent history, mental issues and drug use. Do you want it to check to see which political party I am registered with?

Waiting period? My only wait is if there is a line at the gun counter. I can fill out a 4473 in less than 5 minutes, show my CCW license, pay and I'm out the door. Since I know you are referring to the "cooling off" days some places make you wait, what purchases should take even longer?

What else since you said "etc"? Your other items are still vague, feel good band-aids for symptoms. Does your "etc" get to the root of the problem? There is a certain segment of the population that does not care about the life of another and will kill you for looking at them wrong.
In New York State some politicians are proposing that an individuals social media accounts be examined before they are allowed to purchase a gun. Then it will be left up to some bureaucrat to decide whether you can exercise a constitutional right based on you political opinions. At the very least a good way to deprive individuals of their 1st Amendment rights.

As witnessed by the Kavanaugh hearings Democrats too are all for abolishing your due process rights and the concept of innocent until proven guilty as well. It's hard to believe how so many support that party and are so easily willing to vote their civil liberties away to politicians and government bureaucrats all in the name of what they perceive to be for the greater good?

Old 01-03-2019, 04:06 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
FREE SPEECH is being killed by the Democrats, and their media, social media, Tech criminal accomplices.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
In New York State some politicians are proposing that an individuals social media accounts be examined before they are allowed to purchase a gun. Then it will be left up to some bureaucrat to decide whether you can exercise a constitutional right based on you political opinions. At the very least a good way to deprive individuals of their 1st Amendment rights.
What if I'm not on any social media? Does this forum count? Any punishment for lying because I can disappear on Facebook to everyone except my friends?

Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That is until they have a majority anyway. Yes I know not all Democrats even liberal ones support gun control but....

California Democrats with their super majority are going all out on new laws and restrictions including a excise tax on handguns and semi auto rifles with proceeds going to gun control groups.

That is akin to if Republicans taxed abortion to give proceeds to anti abortion groups.

Also quote: beginning in 2019, state ammunition dealers will be required to maintain logs of all sales – including those of bullets

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...-supermajority
I'm from the gubment and I'm here to help you.... My A$$

Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are certainly plenty of irresponsible gun owners, we see the news results just about every day. Maybe no one you know but there are those who treat them like a toy.
"There are certainly plenty of irresponsible gun owners, we see the news results just about every day."

I challenge your "every day" claim.

Even IF true with the number of people owning guns in the tens of millions it would NOT be unusual.

What is the percentage of these types of incidents compared to the total number of gun owners?"

"but there are those who treat them like a toy."

First, SOME was NOT the claim, so stop trying to "move the goalposts".

Second, again Even IF true with the number of people owning guns in the tens of millions it would NOT be unusual.

It looks to me you want to cast a negative perception on the tens of millions of RESPONSIBLE gun owners for a very small amount of owners.

This always come down to, do you care about the loss of life in America or from ALL sources or just guns considering the VAST amount causes of deaths in America are NOT from guns.

Why aren't you out championing a cause for swimming pools, cars, blunt instrument like baseball bats, etc.?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Your question made me look it up !

https://qz.com/1095899/gun-ownership...-three-charts/

P.S. Note the final comment!
I've never head of Quartz so there is that.

I have a had time believing all the claims they made.

"In relative terms, the US has the highest number of guns per capita."

Have you ever been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yeman or other mid -Eastern countries with large populations of Islamic terrorists?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
I'm all for extensive background checks, longer wait periods for certain types of purchases, etc. That said, taxes and giving the money to gun groups who support further legislation is wrong.
" longer wait periods"

1. woman have been KILLED during the "waiting period" by their estranged husbands/boy friends,etc. who were seeking to by a gun for protection against them, even AFTER Restraining Orders were issued and IGNORED.

2. With today's technology, an INSTANT check can be made of persons criminal history and mental records.

The police do it ALL the time when making even the most minor traffic stop.

It is my HOPE that with a more Constitutional Supreme court MOST of the state gun law will be challenged and ruled UN Constitutional under the 2nd Amendment," The RIGHT of the PEOPLE to KEEP and BEAR arms shall NOT be INFRINGED".

Every one of those laws do in FACT INFRINGE on that right "to keep and bear arms".

Every store that takes credit cards knows INSTANTLY if your credit is good or not.

NO waiting period is needed in today's world.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-04-2019 at 05:51 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I've never head of Quartz so there is that.

I have a had time believing all the claims they made.

"In relative terms, the US has the highest number of guns per capita."

Have you ever been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yeman or other mid -Eastern countries with large populations of Islamic terrorists?
ummm yea......ok, it's just one sight with some stats....I was just trying to see some data on how many people had guns. The caveat was at the bottom of the article "There's no sure way of telling"....

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
What if I'm not on any social media? Does this forum count? Any punishment for lying because I can disappear on Facebook to everyone except my friends?
I would think so, as any forum is social media. Apparently the State of New York wants to know your opinions before you're allowed to own a handgun. Could letters to the editor of a newspaper or publication be next?

Quote:
N.Y. Lawmaker: Want a Gun? Give Us Your Social Media Accounts ...
reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/ny-lawmaker-want-a-gun-give-us-your-soci
Dec 4, 2018 ... (Side question: How did someone not start a social media platform ... At the state level, New York already has very restrictive gun laws, with all ...

Gun Control: New York Wants to Make You Submit Social Media ...
http://www.newsweek.com/gun-control-...hasing-1228579
Nov 23, 2018 ... State senator has drafted a new bill that could mean that anyone who ... Gun Control: New York Wants to Make You Submit Social Media History ... of such license to consent to having his or her social media accounts and ...

Gun permit seekers would see social media searched under New ...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...rk/2114720002/
Nov 26, 2018 ... Gun permit seekers would see social media searched under New York bill ... required to turn over the passwords to their major social-media accounts for a ... " Although New York State has some of the strictest gun laws in the ...

Require social media checks to get gun licenses, New York ...
Require social media checks to get gun licenses, New York lawmaker urges
Dec 4, 2018 ... Require social media checks to get gun licenses, New York lawmaker urges ... Parker wants to require police to scrutinize social media activity and online ... " And the state police have enough to worry about besides checking ...

Gun purchasers may need to submit social media history under ...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-purcha...rk-legislation
Nov 22, 2018 ... Those looking to buy a gun may need to submit their social media profiles and search history prior to purchase if new firearm legislation in New York becomes law. ... by Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and State Senator Kevin ... of such license to consent to having his or her social media accounts ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies