Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 08:02 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....to be clear.....this country does not respect the worth of black people in the way it respects the worth of white people. This is because America generally sees black people as inferior....IN GENERAL. I say "in general" because while they see blacks as inferior in things such as intelligence, work ethic, temperament, sexual control, etc, it sees blacks as SUPERIOR in things that involve running and jumping. That's Football and Basketball.

America has a "Slave Mentality" because the slave master never wants to be confronted with their moral injustice. Americans do not want to see prominent black people using their platform to speak out against injustice in America. The cries of the "slave" will be dismissed by the slave masters because the masters has no respect for the intellect and integrity of the slave. The slaves views, perspective, experiences, pain, are all dismissed by the slave master because the slave master feels those are not the REAL issues for the slave. They feel the slaves real issues are being lazy, being dumb, not being grateful, etc, while everything the slave says is just excuses. The slave master dismisses what the slave has to say. America dismisses what black people have to say and instead rely how the master sees the situation as being what is the TRUTH.
Once again, what does an athlete produce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I never watch football or basketball, so tell me what is a LeBron James?
You say this like it's a virtue. What's that neologism... virtue signaling? That's what this sounds like, to me.

LeBron is a major cultural figure in American society. Disagree if you will with his opinions (I think the comment that is the subject of this thread is total hyperbole), but you have to engage him politically in a constructive, bona fide manner.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, what does an athlete produce?
Lifeexplorer, how does your opinion that athletes shouldn't be paid millions because they don't produce anything of value mesh with previous statements you've made that wages should be set by the free market?

You've said in the past that forcing corporations to pay wages that are above market rate is immoral, unjust and unfair. Athletes are paid what the market bears. Wouldn't forcing corporations to pay wages that are below market rate be equally immoral, unjust and unfair?

How is this different than any other business?

Last edited by MPowering1; 12-23-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 11:43 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
I'm thinking of Paul Allen, who owned the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Traiblazers. I didn't know him personally, but he came across like a very humble guy, unlike Jerry Jones who comes across as a douche bag. Again I don't know Jerry Jones, but that's what I get listening to him.

Last edited by Willamette City; 12-23-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-23-2018, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ooooooh, a black man said slave. Where are my smelling salts?

I agree a comparison could be made between slave owners and team owners, but I think I could happily pick a lot of cotton for what LeBron gets paid, and he could easily opt out if he feels too “owned”.
Yep. Blacks aren’t allowed to make comparisons to slavery for some reason.

Which is why we should do it as often as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LaBron is a great BB player but not real smart.
He’s not smart, but you can’t even spell his name right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The simple fact is that the NBA top players have an inordinately greater impact on a team than even a QB does on a football team.

Players also get frequently hurt and have much shorter playing careers.

As such NFL players just have less leverage with owners.

What Lebron is missing, is that the NBA has skyrocketed in value. It's doing great, huge new TV contract....of course the owners are happy.

The NFL however has been struggling a bit and some of the controversies have hurt them.

I find it practically moronic of Lebron not to recognize that just 15 years or less ago the NBA was cracking down on "thuggishness", put into place a dress code, booted troublemakers from the league etc. etc. AND there was vocal protest from the players about "white owners" and them being treated like slaves.

This takes me full circle to the point Lebron is missing. He's blaming "white owners" of the NFL. I think more importantly that in business, any business, when you are making $$$ and things are going great the owner is happy and gives you leeway. The NBA had their crackdown when the league was struggling $$$, he's foolish to attribute business performance and owner reaction to race.

P.S. Unless you're an NBA fan 35+ you're unlikely to recall their image crackdown and the complaints.
The so called “crackdown” in the NBA was overblown. The NBA hasn’t had any real thuggery since the ‘70s and into the 80’s with the knuckleheads in the Eastern Conference. The whole crackdown that you’re talking about concerns mostly 3 guys...Iverson, Sprewell, and Artest.

Iverson wasn’t anywhere near being a thug. He wore street clothes, sported tats and cornrows, and had a devil may care attitude. The incident with his wife was highly exaggerated and he rarely if ever had any other off court issues. He clashed with Larry Brown, which rubbed white America the wrong way for all the same stupid reasons. Basically, he wasn’t staying in his place. That said, Iverson himself has admitted that listening to Brown would’ve done him much better.

Sprewell choked his coach in an altercation, but there isn’t a soul that hangs around the NBA that doesn’t think Carlesimo didn’t probably deserved it with his well known reputation as a first class a-hole. Outside of Spree’s complaint about his salary, he was mostly quiet and stayed out of trouble.

Artest is a whole different animal. Definitely not a troublemaker off court, but he’s a very strange guy to untangle as it is. We don’t have to get into what happened involving him, but I’ve seen the same in hockey and baseball. What’s the difference? Yeah, we both know the answer to that.

Lebron is absolutely correct on this issue, and it’s time for the NFL to poop or get off the pot.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm thinking of Paul Allen, who owned the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Traiblazers. I didn't know him personally, but he came across like a very humble guy, unlike Jerry Jones who comes across as a douche bag. Again I don't know Jerry Jones, but that's what I get listening to him.
Owners are allowed to be douchebags and tax collectors (for new stadium facilities) with little to no criticism. That’s their privilege.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:53 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
LeBron James is one of those wise fathers who has decreed that his sons are NOT to play football.
LeBron James says his kids aren't allowed to play football

He should be telling these NFL players to stop playing, too. I'd like to see a government program to ease all professional football players out of the sport, and get them a green job instead.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:58 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
I stopped watching the NFL and NBA a few years ago. Seems all their anti-White tripe is biting the hand that feeds them. Would love to see those leagues fold.

James is rich so whatever stupid things he says isn't go to change his life much. Would be nice if one of the old White racist owners had the balls to fire an outspoken racist like James.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
You never know about people like that unless you have personal contact with them. I had a friend of a friend who was a beautiful young runner girl/health nut, one of those young women who seemed to always be glowing.

She worked as a receptionist at a firm that was trying to land a contract with a sports owner who was known as humble, intelligent, generous etc. The sports owner demanded as a condition of awarding the contract that he get a date with 'runner girl.' Runner girl said no, and the company lost the contract.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
He seems to have forgotten who owns the teams and runs the league. If he wants to launch his own alternative, player run league, have at it.

It's important to understand he's not well educated, or particularly bright, and is simply parroting what his handlers/marketing team think will be good for his brand. If they told him to support the opposite tomorrow, he would do as told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies