Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:53 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I like some of Will Hurd's ideas on the matter. The title of his opinion piece sums it up: "We need a smart border wall, not a 3rd century solution"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/539618001/
It is very presumptuous to assume that any idea from the past is a bad idea. Many of the better ideas of today are still based on ideas that go back centuries. A border wall or having a portion of the border walled, directs illegal crossers to areas that are easier for other methods to detect or stop them. This is what is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 09:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one is saying that the wall is the only solution but it certainly should be a part of the solution. Have you read the numerous links I have provided denoting how the good walls do work? Even the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have stated that the good walls are needed. This is the U.S. we don't keep our own citizens in nor would we ever do that. We aren't East Berlin.

The incentives do need to be removed for illegals to come here such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids but criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for any of the above, thus the wall. We need a total solution/package to put a large dent in illegal entry. We would also need to figure out how to stop the employers from paying them cash to work. That's why it's important to try and deter them from getting in here in the first place with a wall. Once they get in here they are hard to weed out and more expensive to do so. The link below is a real eye opener. Look at the flimsy wire that these illegals (so-called asylum seekers) were able to climb over as they were brought here by the coyotes.

Hundreds of migrant families arrive at remote border crossings, overwhelming U.S. agents
And neither did I.

I explained with reasoning, why my view has changed.
Eliminate Birthright, by forcing it to the Supreme Court, once Amy Barr replaces Auntie Ruth.
Then seize all the personal and business assets of those employing and exploiting the tourist, to undercut Americans trying to get their piece of the pie.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Law enforcement is generally opposed to the wall as well, this would be devastating for federal, state and local LE.

Take away drug crime, drug related crime, illegal immigration related crime....what is LE left to deal with on a daily basis?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just double the cost for ALL visas and decrease the amount of time for which they are good. Use the money to build the wall. If employers (like tech companies) want the employees, the employers will pay for the visas and the wall.
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_129796
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken"

And that's just for starts. I've got news for you, it's not tech employees coming in from Central/South America. It's agricultural workers. That's probably why Ken Buck voted against it; his district has a lot of farm country.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Is the left really already rewriting history? Schumer didn't offer Trump $20B in exchange for the dreamers, TRUMP asked for $25B and offered the dreamers. Unbelievable that you would try to flip that around.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FD2UU

The DEMS rejected it because Schumer couldn't get his way:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...respond-470687

That's what Schumer "offered". He tried to slip in one of his own little projects into the funding bill - which is BS. He's not the "good guy" here.
Trump wanted $25 billion and was willing to kick the DACA can to the Fall, 2020. He wanted the $ and leverage.

There was a Bipartisan Bill giving Trump the $ in exchange for a pathway for DACA. It failed 54-45 in the Senate.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/na...l/67-519361171

Old 12-24-2018, 04:39 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who is 'we'? The majority of Americans want a path to citizenship for Dreamers. In addition, it is the smartest and most cost effective decision.

Why would they want to cut their own throats? Isn't it bad enough that their parents took their jobs from them so why would Americans want 1.8 million Dreamers to also compete for jobs and resources against our American youth? There is nothing smart or cost effective about it.

Bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics don't think with their brains though they just deal in emotion. Have these foolish Americans given any thought about what to do with their law breaking parents? Do I smell a massive amnesty because of the weeping and crying about separated families if their parents are deported as they should be? Yeah, real smart....NOT!

I'm still waiting for you to answer my question about the parent's of the Dreamers. Crickets......

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-24-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Law enforcement is generally opposed to the wall as well, this would be devastating for federal, state and local LE.

Take away drug crime, drug related crime, illegal immigration related crime....what is LE left to deal with on a daily basis?

How lame, keep foreign law breakers in our country so some Americans can keep their jobs? Funny, they all had jobs before the illegal invasion. There are plenty of other crimes committed by Americans that LE have to deal with and always have.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The US citizens who I know who have lost jobs have mostly lost them to jobs going offshore. Since you are so concerned about these people I can only assume that you are vehemently opposed to corporations being allowed to write off offshoring jobs on their taxes. That's wonderful. Don't forget to write your representatives and tell them no tax cuts or tax write offs for those companies.

Really? Our construction jobs and commercial landscaping jobs were outsourced? Those are two of the largest industries that illegals have flooded. Both illegal immigration and outsourcing needs to end to protect the American worker.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:24 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump wanted $25 billion and was willing to kick the DACA can to the Fall, 2020. He wanted the $ and leverage.

There was a Bipartisan Bill giving Trump the $ in exchange for a pathway for DACA. It failed 54-45 in the Senate.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/na...l/67-519361171

From your own article "But while it would provide the $25 billion Trump wants for his wall, it would dole it out over 10 years and lacks most of the limits Trump is seeking on legal immigration."

And it was essentially a total amnesty as it would have codified restrictions on ICE, stricter than even Obama's, that would have blocked deporting illegals not convicted of serious crime.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
And neither did I.

I explained with reasoning, why my view has changed.
Eliminate Birthright, by forcing it to the Supreme Court, once Amy Barr replaces Auntie Ruth.
Then seize all the personal and business assets of those employing and exploiting the tourist, to undercut Americans trying to get their piece of the pie.
You should take up punishment of employers with your own state of Texas and tell them to stop wasting time on sanctuary city nonsense and put some enforcement into E-verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies