Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we give alcohol prohibition another whirl in 2019?
Yes 3 12.00%
No, but run some pilot projects and studies to see how it goes, then maybe reinstate prohibition. 2 8.00%
No. 19 76.00%
Other (please explain below). 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 04:48 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,347,755 times

Advertisements

Reimposing prohibition is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard in a long time. It created a level of lawlessness in this country we still haven't been able to get away from. The war on drugs has done the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 04:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
It’s the truth, and if you can’t handle it, you can just as easily abstain from posting as well.

It’s obvious what the intentions of a thread are when they read like bullet-points from a writing guide (or did you just accidentally bold “progressives” and “scientifically/intellectually”?).
LOL. So you're saying that you can read my mind because of my use of 'bolding?' Can you do that with other posters too, or just me. You realize that if you can read minds, you could really monetize that instead of posting meaningless responses to my city data posts....

Old 12-22-2018, 04:50 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,318,938 times
Oh no. Not again.

Folks, this is the same guy who said he would have no problem prohibiting chocolate. Need I say more?

Old 12-22-2018, 04:50 PM

20,712 posts, read 9,306,205 times
This is actually an interesting topic.

A large part of the drinking problem back then had to do with the large # of immigrants from Ireland, Germany and other European countries where drinking is part of the national culture (and where large numbers were Catholic). In Chicago in 1855 German-Americans rioted when the city tried to close taverns on Sundays. I suspect the problem would not have been as bad if there weren't so many immigrants from those countries, and maybe, Prohibition would never have been enacted.

But undoubtedly, it was those same groups of immigrants which inevitably made the whole effort futile and led to its abandonment.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:51 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
LOL. So you're saying that you can read my mind because of my use of 'bolding?' Can you do that with other posters too, or just me. You realize that if you can read minds, you could really monetize that instead of posting meaningless responses to my city data posts....
When you cease to put meaningless postulates, we can have a conversation.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:51 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,086,624 times
Quote:
No, I’m saying your intentions are obvious, which is to say, obfuscation and division.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is actually an interesting topic.

A large part of the drinking problem back then had to do with the large # of immigrants from Ireland, Germany and other European countries where drinking is part of the national culture (and where large numbers were Catholic). In Chicago in 1855 German-Americans rioted when the city tried to close taverns on Sundays. I suspect the problem would not have been as bad if there weren't so many immigrants from those countries, and maybe, Prohibition would never have been enacted.

But undoubtedly, it was those same groups of immigrants which inevitably made the whole effort futile and led to its abandonment.
Yes this is very true and a good point. Prohibition was strongly opposed by Irish and German Catholics, along with Scandinavian Lutherans. It was supported by the more educated, well-to-do classes, which included many progressives.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,693,310 times
Quote:
It is a cliché to say that "prohibition didn't work." In many ways, it did!

It's often forgotten that prohibition was a progressive initiative. Yes, there was input from religious folk, but the real leaders and doers were progressives. Susan B. Anthony is mostly known for women's suffrage, but she also led on prohibition.

A housewife named Mary Hunt started a movement called "scientific temperance" that promoted academic analysis. The progressives of the 19th-early 20th century, just as today, were big on looking at issues scientifically/intellectually.

In 1830, per capita alcohol consumption was an alarming 7.1 gallons per year. The number could be doubled, since most women drank little or nothing. But it was women who bore the brunt of their husbands' drinking. It could be said that prohibition was the godmother of feminism.

By 1851, the 'Maine Law' was passed to ban the sale of alcohol. By 1855, 13 of 30 states had similar laws. The 18th Amendment in 1919 was just a culmination of a long process.

The biggest problem with prohibition was weak enforcement. By 1930 there were 700 'speakeasies' in DC alone. This could have been addressed, but instead we threw out the baby with the bathwater. Should it give it another whirl 100 years later?

I'll have to think this one over, while I have a cold beer.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM

18,494 posts, read 7,254,362 times
There are 50 states. "We" don't have to have prohibition or legal alcohol. Some of us can have one, and others the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies