Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Harvard is more interested In filling the student body with rich and/or famous kids than kids with the most academic potential. Harvard has always been that way.
Not so. They need neither the fame nor the money as the oldest university in the nation and by far the best known.

They don't go on only SAT scores; there are hundreds of other colleges that do, but Harvard looks for the potential leaders of the future. Those leaders don't have to have rich parents, nor come from famous families.

Of course, Harvard never knows just who they admit will rise to prominence or not. Since they are all still kids, every admittance is a gamble on the future of sorts.

I have a friend I've known all my life who graduated from Harvard 2 years after GW Bush graduated. He was the second child of his family to graduate from the school. His older brother became a well-known and quite successful dentist, but my friend ended up taking over his father's sign business, and while he's well known locally, has never been exactly famous.

But he is still the smartest guy I know by a long shot. I once asked him why he didn't go into international affairs; he said that growing up alongside his Dad, working in his shop, was something he learned he loved more than anything his degree offered him.

He took care of his father for years after his mother died. The old man finally died peacefully at 90, after dementia robbed him of everything but the urge to draw. He happily spent his days at his shop drawing little doodles on paper scraps for years before he passed on. In the end, their roles reversed. He was the child and his son ran the shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
They don't go on only SAT scores; there are hundreds of other colleges that do, but Harvard looks for the potential leaders of the future.
God help us.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:43 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ingraham just signed off for the last time on her radio show Friday. Her 3-hour daily show is now history.

She's switching to podcasting.

Here is the press release indicating why she is doing this:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/laura...eb15917361.htm

You can choose to believe her....or not.

Even with her money, I don't think it would be easy to do 3 hours of radio, 1 hour of television, both at specific times, do the prep for both, and do a quality job of raising three kids as a single mom.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:04 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
David Hogg is a media creation. Without their pandering and fawning, he would be unheard of, making obnoxious scribblings on twatter.
Exactly. *He* is not doing anything except being obnoxious. He's promoted by the powerful to serve their purposes, just as Obama was.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Weighted 5.1? Is that even a thing? It doesn’t typically go past 5.0 weighted.

The 1270 is low for Harvard but that GPA is not bad at all for Harvard.

Anyway, this kid organized and led a national movement before he was 18. He’s good. This is not going to be an issue for him.

How old are you?
You aren’t correct. See above.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:27 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Good for him. Republican or Democrat, we need more young people paying attention to politics and calling us one people out on our crap.

Hogg must be doing something right politically, because he's just a 19 year old kid and millions of conservative adults literally HATE him.
Tomi Lahren and Charlie Kirk must be doing something right also, with the way millions of liberals attack them.

I love seeing younger people like Tomi, Charlie, Ben Shapiro, and Candace Owens.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:30 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.895c3e3f195f

It was so mean-spirited of her to go after a 17-year-old victim of a high school mass shooting. Good for him. He'll become much more admired and accomplished in his life than she ever will.
She gets paid a lot and is in one of the prime Fox News spots, get back to me when he even comes close to that level.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
See post #65.
No thanks. You're wrong way too much.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
She is picking on a kid 25 years (guessing) younger than her. That's not successful, that's desperate.
Desperate is a child, just off a tragedy, being trotted out to discuss gun control.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Why can't people be happy for other peoples success especially a kid? Bottom feeder Ingraham is a racist, homophobic clown like her other Fox News buddies Carlson and Hannity. They deserve no attention.
Neither does your post. I disagree with you so you are racist? Absolutely childish. Just like the little boy Hogg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies