Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yeah, just think of those billions of transactions every day that are ten times smaller on which we waste time and effort collecting sales tax. Maybe you should inform your state comptroller that is is not worth it to tax sales transactions under $200.
Well, they must know it because they don't do diddly enforcing the online sales tax.

Heck, they let vacation rentals go for decades before they enacted a way to collect, and THAT's some big money.

And it doesn't fall under our Comptroller's jurisdiction, but I get your point.

And for clarity, the majority of our state's remittances goes to the Philippines and other Asian countries.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Quote:
Yeah, just think of those billions of transactions every day that are ten times smaller on which we waste time and effort collecting sales tax. Maybe you should inform your state comptroller that is is not worth it to tax sales transactions under $200.
Logistically, states requiring that a retailer collect sales tax on every sale is materially different that asking financial institutions to investigate the identity and geographic location of every originator and ultimate recipient of every monetary transfer, no matter how large or small, and then use its discretion to determine whether tax should or should not be collected. That should be self-evident. This is particularly true since the parties will be employing intermediaries, third-parties, and whatever technology is readily available to them to avoid taxation.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
He doesn't care. The point is to punish the enemy (illegals), and that's all that matters. The real-world details aren't important. Even bringing them up makes you an "elite", and therefore one of them. He doesn't have time to sort out policy details or craft a coherent plan.

The point IS to punish illegals and make living here harder. Liberals like to run their mouth about not being for open borders and being for removing incentives for illegals to be here, but when it comes time to actually remove an incentive they scream and holler. I wonder how many of those hating this idea are sending remittances themselves?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Etsy? Business transaction. Not taxed.

Birthday money? Taxable. Doesn't matter if you're an illegal sending American money to your family in Mexico because it's their birthday, it's their anniversary, it's Cinco de Mayo, or just because they need grocery money.

Online sales tax? That is changing. It was always due. There's an example of historical weak enforcement.

You could set up a fake business on Etsy and other sites to avoid tax, that was my point.

They will enforce sales tax when it becomes enough money to make it worth the effort, and same with tax remittances.

I don't believe in laws that I know will not be enforced, OR transfers the enforcement to multiple private businesses.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Quote:
The point IS to punish illegals and make living here harder. Liberals like to run their mouth about not being for open borders and being for removing incentives for illegals to be here, but when it comes time to actually remove an incentive they scream and holler. I wonder how many of those hating this idea are sending remittances themselves?
I'm not a liberal and I'm not against reducing the number of illegal immigrants using intelligent, workable, market-based solutions. Taxing every transaction to Mexico does not fall within that rubric any more than the wall. Mandated e-verify would be a good start, as would an increase to immigration court funding to process cases faster. We can talk about other reasonable measures, if you like.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You could set up a fake business on Etsy and other sites to avoid tax, that was my point.

They will enforce sales tax when it becomes enough money to make it worth the effort, and same with tax remittances.

I don't believe in laws that I know will not be enforced.

Right, ten million illegals will set up fake businesses. There are workarounds to just about every law - a person could set up a fake non-profit and avoid sales tax - but you know that isn't going to happen. 9.99 million of the 10 million illegals will just resign themselves that their family back home will get $94 instead of $97 for every $100 they fork over to the Western Unions.

Not to mention, getting caught skirting the tax could be a felony that results in deportation and lifetime bar. They aren't going to risk it all to avoid a 2% or even 5% tax.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm not a liberal and I'm not against reducing the number of illegal immigrants using intelligent, workable, market-based solutions. Taxing every transaction to Mexico does not fall within that rubric any more than the wall. Mandated e-verify would be a good start, as would an increase to immigration court funding to process cases faster. We can talk about other reasonable measures, if you like.

Might as well, we're never going to agree on this one. So when is this new Democratic House going to introduce an e-Verify bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies