Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 09:30 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

When someone says (in that context) "getting things done," they are advocating tyranny whilst trying to sweep that fact under the rug.

If you want something to "get done," roll up your sleeves and do it. Don't expect (or rather, insist) that others do it for you. What we need is a society that has decided they've had enough tyranny and simply raise their middle finger--refuse to comply and withdraw consent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
When someone says (in that context) "getting things done," they are advocating tyranny whilst trying to sweep that fact under the rug.

If you want something to "get done," roll up your sleeves and do it. Don't expect (or rather, insist) that others do it for you. What we need is a society that has decided they've had enough tyranny and simply raise their middle finger--refuse to comply and withdraw consent.
But...

"Social Contract"...!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:37 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I suppose then that you think your logic correct and that is your benchmark so anyone outside of that is using distorted logic.
You're using at least 1 of the 'Distorted Thinking Styles' here ^ & identified at the piece at the link.

How is it somehow 'wrong' to attempt to avoid cognitive distortions that may skew one's perceptions? After all, no one is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

That is the problem that most people have. They think they are right and everyone else is wrong who does not agree with them.
You're using at least another 1 here ^.

Edit to include: the underlying assumption in critical & creative thinking strategies is no one is perfect i.e. the idea is to self-correct if at all possible. It's helpful if one can identify one's own thinking distortions, & not just in other folks.

Quote:
• Identify the problems. — “What’s the real question we’re facing here?”
• Define the context. — “What are the facts & circumstances that frame this problem?”
• Enumerate choices. — “What are our most plausible three or four options?”
• Analyze options. — “What is our best course of action, all things considered?”
• List reasons explicitly. — “Let’s be clear: Why we are making this particular choice?”
Self-correct. — “Okay, let’s look at it again. What did we miss?”

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 12-27-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
But...

"Social Contract"...!
First thing this morning I had to sign an updated contract with a longtime client. Just a formality.

He's a bit loony as he enjoys human interaction () so we met for breakfast because well...the customer is always right...or something like that.

Anyway, while stuck in traffic (I'm in SoCal which means it took 50 minutes to go 5 feet) I said to myself: "I wish we could just "social contract" this thing so I could turn around and go home."

I'm now pro social contract (NOT!)

Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
When you hear that someone is a Libertarian, do you think anything particular about the person--and anything particularly good or bad? Or are there so few Libertarians out there that you think nothing of it?

For example, what if you child was dating someone and your child told you that the person is a Libertarian? Or you saw that a regular acquaintance who you don't know well has a Libertarian bumper sticker?

Thanks.
I won't lie. I think pie in the sky utopian froot loops.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I won't lie. I think pie in the sky utopian froot loops.
Our sky pie isn't taxed though.

At least give us credit for that.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Our sky pie isn't taxed though.

At least give us credit for that.

Ha! I like taxes. Economy of scale.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Ha! I like taxes. Economy of scale.
I was never a masochist so I can't relate.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was never a masochist so I can't relate.

I never felt pain or humiliation from taxes, so I guess I can't either.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Nothing can be certain in life except death and taxes.- BF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies