Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 07:24 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Tell me, how would we pay for the Interstate Road system? Many would be willing to use it without paying for it if it's voluntary.

Please, explain it to me.
Way to avoid the rest of my post. You're also shifting the burden of proof.

How? At the most basic level, enough people pay for it by choice, or they don't. If they don't, they live with the inconveniences of not having it maintained. They can then decide to fund it again, or live without it.

That also creates an incentive to find alternatives and invent new modes of transportation where roads become obsolete. It may or may not happen, but the incentive is there, and "necessity is the mother of invention".

And going back to the #1 issue, you deciding it would be best to have the interstate road system does not grant you the right to overrule everyone else who disagrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
I'm not going to quote the entire post above but that is a better answer than stating some theory.
It would be a way to clarify 'what individual libertarians want' specifically.

Fr'instance:

“We demand the return of America's railroad system to private ownership. We call for the privatization of the public roads and national highway system.”

Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
But it isn't a direct tax on one's income. (labor tax)

The federal government can operate as it has proven to do so in that past, without. Why people can seem to get that idk. Income tax is not the same as excise tax.

Excise taxes are taxes paid when purchases are made on a specific good, such as gasoline.
Income tax is a collection of taxes on ones labor, before a person ever uses anything ... then taxed again when they buy goods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Where would property taxes land?

The land you live on should be yours regardless of what bank creditors or state officials claim (though the same laws apply on that land of course).
Water and electric bills are different, those make sense.
Yes, paying taxes on property is essentially saying the government owns all the land; a person is leasing it, never to out right own it. Paying the bank note off, it should be a done deal. But it isn't.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:34 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
I also have to point out that the heart of statism/collectivism is the idea that "My way must be forced on the population, or else things wouldn't work the way I want them to."

Every person, from the minarchist to the person who wants the state involved in everything, believes this. It's just a matter of how many of their ideas are so good they must be forced upon society.

It would be very easy for me to decide that I know what's best, and that I have the right to force it on you. I actually DO believe I know what's best for society on a general level, but libertarianism is why I use discussion and persuasion over force.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Technically property tax is a choice also. You don't have to own property.

I'm not arguing that a tax should be collected on this or on that. Doesn't matter to me. My argument is that a society will have a tax to pay for things society wants and society isn't going to go backwards.
Just as you mentioned sales tax is still a tax on labor, paying rent is still paying taxes on property, just not property you supposedly own.

A reduction in tax burdens isn't going backwards.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Way to avoid the rest of my post. You're also shifting the burden of proof.
It's been the argument for years.

Quote:
How? At the most basic level, enough people pay for it by choice, or they don't. If they don't, they live with the inconveniences of not having it maintained. They can then decide to fund it again, or live without it.
Not going to work. You can no longer get to work to make a living to even have a choice.

Quote:
That also creates an incentive to find alternatives and invent new modes of transportation where roads become obsolete. It may or may not happen, but the incentive is there, and "necessity is the mother of invention".
There were no roads when the car was invented. People will invent no matter what.

Quote:
And going back to the #1 issue, you deciding it would be best to have the interstate road system does not grant you the right to overrule everyone else who disagrees.
3 people disagree. Not a real argument.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I also have to point out that the heart of statism/collectivism is the idea that "My way must be forced on the population, or else things wouldn't work the way I want them to."

Every person, from the minarchist to the person who wants the state involved in everything, believes this. It's just a matter of how many of their ideas are so good they must be forced upon society.
Do you care to measure your own ideology against that of Mr. Koch's from his listed 'demands' from 1980?

Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It would be a way to clarify 'what individual libertarians want' specifically.

Fr'instance:

“We demand the return of America's railroad system to private ownership. We call for the privatization of the public roads and national highway system.”
Call for it but it really never was. The private system was dirt that was impassable when it rained and we are not going back to that. We are NOT going to be a 19th century society again.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Just as you mentioned sales tax is still a tax on labor, paying rent is still paying taxes on property, just not property you supposedly own.

A reduction in tax burdens isn't going backwards.
It isn't necessarily. I am NOT arguing that taxes are not wasted and that we couldnt do better.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Call for it but it really never was. The private system was dirt that was impassable when it rained and we are not going back to that. We are NOT going to be a 19th century society again.
Mr. Koch was calling for it & similar back then, folks are still calling for similar or same.

What's the difference between the 2? Is there a difference?

Let's face it, it's not going back to 'dirt', it's maintaining our already existing infrastructure, for example:

The most structurally deficient bridge in every US state

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...america-2017-5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies