Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Will the stock market crash? There is a possibility if the "orange clown" in the White House continues on his downward spiral and the Republicans continue to stand idly by.

It appears to be in slow free fall. 2000 points on the DOW just in the past 5 days. And it is considered a leading indicator for six months out.

What is worse a one day crash or being down hundreds of points almost every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 04:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It appears to be in slow free fall. 2000 points on the DOW just in the past 5 days. And it is considered a leading indicator for six months out.

What is worse a one day crash or being down hundreds of points almost every day?
This one is worse in a sense because it is likely AFTER heading down like this it will then crash. That's the way the Great Depression happened.

All the more worse since it is 100% created from thin air - starting with the tax cut, extending into the tariffs and chaos and now the full monty.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
TDS on full display. Snowflake meltdown phase in effect. You may proceed to clench fist and shake it towards the sky until your tizzy fit is complete. Don't expect normal Americans to join you, but we will hold off on passing judgement. We know the powerful media brainwashing spell you folks are under, and it ain't right what they are doing to your defenseless brains.
Well, Trumps disapproval is headed up quickly and almost 25% MORE "normal" Americans disapprove of him than the normal ones you reference. I'd bet this is a lagging indicators also...that is, those numbers will get worse.

That 1% move (and polling hasn't caught up yet - nearly!) represents 2 million Americans peeling off in a couple days.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This one is worse in a sense because it is likely AFTER heading down like this it will then crash. That's the way the Great Depression happened.

All the more worse since it is 100% created from thin air - starting with the tax cut, extending into the tariffs and chaos and now the full monty.
I agree we could see a one day crash like we have never seen before.

It is curious how the trumpers here were talking up the stock market nonstop but now its not important. It's fake news. We are now theoretically just a few days from it being lower than when trump took office. We are only 2000 points away.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I
It is curious how the trumpers here were talking up the stock market nonstop but now its not important. It's fake news. We are now theoretically just a few days from it being lower than when trump took office. We are only 2000 points away.
There is nothing Trump has touched in his life that didn't fall apart. Why should this be any different? He can't shut his trap and let adults handle it....which would be very simple.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:44 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There is nothing Trump has touched in his life that didn't fall apart. Why should this be any different? He can't shut his trap and let adults handle it....which would be very simple.
I wish I could "make things fall apart" like he can. Billionaire with stunning and smart wife, great kids, leader of the free World, 2 conservative Supreme Court Justices, RINO's leaving DC in droves, Thousands of adoring supporters at each rally...where do I sign up?

Old 12-24-2018, 05:46 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Crooked billionaire with very limited intelligence other than how to scam the gullible, who has stolen from all and sundry, wife with a questionable past, fairly dumb kids, the worst president this country has ever seen - destroying all alliances and cozying up to dictators, ruining the economy every where one turns with tariffs and deficits, alienating true patriotic Republicans who understand the Constitution, separation of powers, and the purpose of our laws with nonstop adolescent bullying and name-calling, leaving our country to be governed by toadying suckups.

I call all of that a HUGE FAIL - and if this is your value system that you pass on to your kids, you're raising amoral crooks - which is what Trump has done.

Lie, cheat steal - it's the family motto.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
I agree we could see a one day crash like we have never seen before.

I think a single day drop of 3000-5000 points within the next few months isn’t out of the realm of possibilities. I wonder if that will be enough to finally wake people up to what is happening in this country.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:25 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
For the past 2-3 years up until recently, there wasn't very much news or uncertainty that could shake these markets. they were up, up and away. The FED starts fiddling with rates looking to cap inflation that doesn't exist and the markets start to fall apart. Now every little thing is causing huge daily plunges. It's not rational. There is a lot of fear-mongering on both sides, but more from the FED and Powell who insists on fixing something that wasn't broken. Powell will now have to leave rates the same for the foreseeable future or cut them to fix a crisis that he solely created. I also find the FEDs tone-deafness to the world around them and Powell to be amazingly dense. You have an unorthodox POTUS going after China trying to re-write trade deals in the world to get us on a more level playing field and Powell decided to throw a bomb into the middle of these negotiations. Our markets enduring strength has been one of our big chips to use against China and the world. People are now fleeing to China's stock market for safety from ours when China's market looked like it was on its way down. Powell has almost single handily torn that apart. It's almost like this was done on purpose by Powell and the FED to make POTUS look bad and pad the pockets of individuals who win no matter what the markets do.

I have always felt the FED had it's placed among us and have resisted end the FED talks. However, after seeing the mess they bear a huge responsibility for causing it gives me second thoughts.

As far as Munchkin calling the 6 too big to fail banks if he had not done it and we wound up in a crisis again people would be screaming that they ran wild with no oversite and why didn't anyone pick up the phone. I specifically remember MSM talking heads asking that same question. Elected officials asked the same thing too. The reaction by the MSM and investors has been totally irrational. Making a phone call was the right thing to do and Munchkin should take it a step further and order a stress test for all of the too big to fail banks on January 2nd, 2019.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
For the past 2-3 years up until recently, there wasn't very much news or uncertainty that could shake these markets. they were up, up and away. The FED starts fiddling with rates looking to cap inflation that doesn't exist and the markets start to fall apart. Now every little thing is causing huge daily plunges. It's not rational.

Back in September 2016 Trump complained about rates being held artificially low because of pressure from Obama. He wanted rates to go up back then.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN11I19H

I am not a big fan of the federal reserve but since they exist and kept rates too low for too long they needed to go up. The ability to lower rates in the future is important to stimulate the economy. It is not as simple as raising rates to limit inflation.

Regarding the markets reacting to this. Bull markets shrug off bad news, bear markets shrug off good news. We are in a bear market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies