Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:03 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times

Advertisements

We all see the posts "Keep Christ in Christmas" but that's hardly what most folks do when they're running to stores at 6 pm on Thanksgiving to get the latest deal. They leave their family and causes the workers at the store to leave their family in the name of the almighty dollar!

It's not Christmas anymore. It's Consumermas.

I think that's a truer War on Christmas than is wishing folks a good-natured Happy Holiday or Season's Greetings.

Please don't preach to me about Christ-mas when you practice Consumermas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:08 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,013,499 times
I agree. Christmas has become a secular holiday celebrating materialism. I stopped participating that part of it years ago.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 PM

21,018 posts, read 19,475,265 times
It’s what you make of it. I don’t buy presents and try to convince others not to buy me anything. Partial success. I don’t decorate and some other family members don’t either. Some with kids decorate a little. But we all go to church and spend a few days together eating, talking, playing games, etc.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,013,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It’s what you make of it. I don’t buy presents and try to convince others not to buy me anything. Partial success. I don’t decorate and some other family members don’t either. Some with kids decorate a little. But we all go to church and spend a few days together eating, talking, playing games, etc.
Yes, that's pretty much what my family Christmas is like, minus the church part. We don't do presents anymore, except for the kids. It makes the holidays so much less stressful and more enjoyable.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,289,778 times
I think there's a middle ground. For me, the Advent/Christmas seasons are much more about my faith than about consuming, but I still enjoy decorating a tree and gifting family and friends with small tokens of my love and affection at this time of year.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,649,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree. AND in general I stay out of stores as much as possible from about thanksgiving on.

I'm an atheist, and once I stopped participating in the nauseating consumerist orgy, I started to enjoy christmas. Love me some christmas music!

Old 12-24-2018, 08:44 AM

27,534 posts, read 15,983,383 times
You mad bro?

Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 AM

39,003 posts, read 50,981,006 times
Big deal. People enjoy it. If you don't then don't participate but don't lay your judgmental bs on everyone who does. Normal people are not one-dimensional. They can have fun shopping and exchanging gifts and also appreciate "Christmas".

Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,059,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We all see the posts "Keep Christ in Christmas" but that's hardly what most folks do when they're running to stores at 6 pm on Thanksgiving to get the latest deal. They leave their family and causes the workers at the store to leave their family in the name of the almighty dollar!

It's not Christmas anymore. It's Consumermas.

I think that's a truer War on Christmas than is wishing folks a good-natured Happy Holiday or Season's Greetings.

Please don't preach to me about Christ-mas when you practice Consumermas.
I celebrate Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,473,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Big deal. People enjoy it. If you don't then don't participate but don't lay your judgmental bs on everyone who does. Normal people are not one-dimensional. They can have fun shopping and exchanging gifts and also appreciate "Christmas".
What really disgusts me is how the big retail stores take advantage of this holiday. Reading thru friends FB posts, many people seem to cherish memories from childhood going to these big stores during christmas! LOL (think about that for a minute and how goofy that is).

The ONLY reason the retail stores get involved is because christmas involved gifting...if it didnt, I doubt they would even acknowledge it.

They seem to me, like the old money changers in the temple that Jesus was furious at, and he turned their tables over, and threw them out...Well, if Jesus was here today, I think he would do the same thing to these stores, basically they are taking advantage of a christian holiday in order to profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies