Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:00 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I'm no Trump fan, but these people should not be let in.

What makes people think they can just cross into the US any time they feel like it?
Especially when we have a president who is extremely hostile to their presence?

That seems crazy to me. They couldn't have picked a worse time to come here.

These people should seek asylum with their Latin neighbors. Why don't their Spanish-speaking
neighbors help them out? Why is it our responsibility? We have way too many illegals here as it is.

I live near the Mexican border and chat often with Mexican Nationals who come up here on a regular basis. They want these people to go home. As it stands now Mexico is unable or unwilling to help its own citizens properly so adding more people to the doles is simply not acceptable to Mexicans. Even before this caravan there are thousands of people, from Southern Mexico and Central America stuck in border towns with little ability to take care of themselves begging on the streets and sucking up what little social services exist in those areas. Many came up expected to easily cross into America only to find out its not that easy anymore. Yes they can cross in the open desert with "Coyotes" but it takes money to do that.

Until people of Central America wake up and force change in their countries this whole thing will keep going. Look at Belize and Costa Rica. They have stable governments and a decent standard of living. It can be done. But as long as people tolerate corruption at the top which simply steals everything for themselves and traps these people in poverty the caravans will keep coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But not the trash Americans leave behind?

it sickens me to see how Americans treat this country

So it's ok for the caravaners to trash America just because too many Americans litter?
I'm racist if BOTH outrage me??
I get it, I'm sorry. I'm supposed to ONLY be mad at American litter, but excuse caravan litter, because Americans do it.
So are you ok with the caravan crowd to murder as many American citizens as possible, because Americans also murder each other??
I'm a lifelong liberal, but I can't find a way to be ok with that.
Must be the new breed of liberal who thinks non whites are incapable of doing wrong in any way, and any acts that do harm are ONLY because whites caused them to do it.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The latest from the caravan chronicles...

Migrant caravans stall on border with no leaders and little hope

The migrant caravans are stuck.

Thousands of Central Americans who traveled north to the U.S. border in the fall, drawing dire warnings from President Trump, have settled into an uneasy existence in Tijuana, facing a backlash on both sides of the border.

Coordinators who helped direct the migrants through Mexico with bullhorns and advice have largely vanished and many of the migrants are frustrated, unsure what to do next.

It’s a sign of how little the groups understood the harsh political realities of immigration that they approached the border in November just as Americans were embroiled in a bitter midterm election campaign in which Trump falsely warned of a looming “invasion” of criminals and terrorists.

“They told us it would be beautiful,” he said. “Now that we are here, it is very different. They lied to us about everything.”

Sounds like they are figuring out that they were simply used as political pawns.

They are used by the people they pay to help them cross the border. Coyotes. THAT's who tells them how wonderful it would be to come to the USA.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:48 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Well, let's hope it doesn't generate terrorism like the region between Jordan and Israel in decades past.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:55 AM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, we cannot deport American citizens, something that you well know. But, trust me, if we could, I could think of more than a few to get the boot. Let's not accept what we don't have to accept, though, as the law says they shouldn't be here to begin with.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And what exactly stopped the caravan rushing the border? Was it drones, cameras, cell phones? What physically prevented them from landing on this side of the border?
Good question.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:22 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
The striving and ambition that is central to the human condition and the driving force behind all human progress...…

Betrayed by politics, and especially, the politics of envy and short-sight.

I'll leave it to the membership to sort the rest out.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
Quote:

This is the lamest whataboutism I have heard in 2018, and there is one more week to go.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:59 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They are used by the people they pay to help them cross the border. Coyotes. THAT's who tells them how wonderful it would be to come to the USA.

No.

By the time they are close to the US border where the coyotes are they have already made the decision to come to America. Stories are passed along in their home countries as to how rich America is and how easy life will be once they get there. The coyotes are the final leg. They just want money they don't need to talk them into anything.

Sometimes the coyotes leave them in the desert to fend for themselves. But they are hiring a criminal to help them break the law so what would one expect.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:51 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:

My cousin (he is American) and I were on a road trip (via a car) to Canada this past summer. Once we arrived to US/Canada border, the Canadian customs denied my cousin from entering Canada because of a 2017 DUI arrest in California.

I guess my cousin should have used your lame whataboutism “but but Canadians committed DUI too”

Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies