Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
he said his biometrics never collected by CBP or US Consulate.

Yes, his biometrics never collected by CBP or US Consulate because CBP already have direct access to Canadian's criminal database and CBSA.
Correct, just like the RCMP has access to most (not all States) USA vehicle registrations as well as NCIC information and vice versa. However, you should be well aware that biometrics identify the individual, and has no relevance as to any record that individual may have.

The USA and Canada have an agreement known as the North American Security Perimeter which allows for much of this interchange. There is some discussion of allowing "hot pursuit" by law enforcement into the other country, however, that has hit some roadblocks, mostly around liability issues. It would be useful if the USA pursued a similar agreement with Mexico. Right now the CBP has agents in major airports in Canada that allows for pre-clearance into the USA. That system would work in Mexico also.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Nope, no fence, although there are some short hedges. Nope, don't lock my doors, never have in 67 years, except when I leave for an extended period of time. What I have worth stealing (mostly electronics) cost less than the deductible. I don't care if someone takes my 32" TV. Good luck finding my laptop I do care about. I would rather a burglar didn't damage my doors/windows but just came in... again, cheaper.

Guess so far I'm lucky... never had my house compromised, although certainly my business I had that was locked, alarmed and camera protected has had numerous intrusions. Only reason I had those was I could not get liability insurance without them.

So, to get back on topic, a "wall" will only keep out the honest. Which is the vast majority of those who are fleeing violence and fear. My mother was a refugee after WW2, I remember her telling her stories.

You live in Canada and do the whole snowbird thing. So, when you're wintering here, do you lock up your house in Canada? Or do you leave your doors and windows wide open?

"A wall will only keep out the honest"? Talk about a delusional statement. You're another one who thinks that those sneaking across the border are all sweet, innocent people who only want to work.

"Honest" people who want to come here would do so in accordance with our immigration laws. You know darn well that the vast majority of the caravan members don't qualify for asylum.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This again? Polly wanna cracker?" Squawk, squawk. All of your remarks and lames excuses have been addressed and debunked over and over again in here.

Did you demand that Mexico pay for the wall back in 2006 when congress passed the wall bill? It was the taxpayer that was going to have to soley fund it.

One guy made a very clear promise. He said it dozens of times, not just once. There is no debunking. He said it. With $$$$, a wall can be built, that's reality.

I personally don't have an opinion of wall=good or wall=bad. I'm looking at the issue fiscally and what was promised by the current prez. I don't care about 2006. I'm living in the now, as is everyone else. Further, I don't have lame excuses; I promised nothing. I'm a U.S. citizen just like others. It takes $$$$ to build a wall. When Mexico pays for the wall, a big beautiful wall will be built.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
No the majority of illegals didn't come by planes.
Yes they do your wall is just a simplistic solution that will do nothing. You also realize they can sneak in by boat.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...and-use-2017-9

Here's an interesting article about the land seizures and cost to build just a small section of wall in Texas. To be effective the wall would have to encompass the entire border, and that is financially impossible. The great wall of China was a built in a time without technology and without sophisticated modes of transportation and tunneling equipment. To compare the Great Wall of China with the border wall is not a well thought out argument.

Seizing land from American's for ten cents on the dollar to fulfill a campaign promise to an ever shrinking base is just plain wrong. You don't harm farmers and other land owners because you're desperate to keep a few precious votes and can't expand your base.

The money should be spent by fixing the problem from within. No supply, no demand for illegal workers. People will not leave their country and families unless there's a financial incentive to do so. Why hasn't that problem been addressed or fixed? It's simple, because we need the workers. So lets regulate the workers better.

I think the money to protect our border could be better spent on technology, boots at the border, and better screening at entry points to stop the thousands brought in by semi's every year that go UN-screened. Bring in some boots and dogs and x-ray equipment. Spend billions putting some young people to work. That will come back into the economy in the way of them spending their paychecks. Regulate working visa's for migrant workers and a percentage of that money will help pay for the boots at the border.

Spending billions on a wall that has an end will do what? Stop a handful of those walking poor to die trying to cross. Deal with the big business of transporting illegals across the border and stop that inflow. Those couple hundred that cross illegally on foot every day are a drop in the bucket compared to what comes in illegally through over stayed visa's or smuggled in by semi.

The wall is a waste of money. It harms American's through unwanted land seizures, and is but a bandaid on a bigger problem.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
What a crock of lies that conservatives and Trump are only focused on a wall! We also want e-verify and have stated as such over and over again in here! Trump has e-verify in is 2019 budget.

All we are saying is that neither e-verify nor the wall by themselves is the total solution. We need a total package to deter illegal entry including denying their kids our birthright citizenship and benefits also. Not all illegals are coming here for work so how does e-verify discourage that? There are also many employers who pay them cash to work.

I wish when these lefty liberals make statements in here that they didn't feel the need to twist the truth!
Oldglory---Have you noticed that when libs are asked why democrats fight against E-verify, all you get from them is crickets chirping? They claim they want E-verify but yet vote for people who fight tooth and nail to keep it from happening.

And, yes libs---we know that there are some RINOs who fight against it, too.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yep! Those are two reasons liberals believe the wall is stupid! Liberals believe each other, even when their beliefs are nonsensical. If liberal A says it will cost trillions, than all other liberals believe it and spread the word.
Those liberals are a bright group, I'm telling you.

BTW: I'm sure liberals don't "think the wall is stupid"; after all, it will be made of steel, and how smart is steel? Liberals believe building the wall is stupid. which is a little different than believing the wall itself is stupid. Or smart, either.
17 million collected, so far.
It’s a stupid idea.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:33 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oldglory---Have you noticed that when libs are asked why democrats fight against E-verify, all you get from them is crickets chirping? They claim they want E-verify but yet vote for people who fight tooth and nail to keep it from happening.

And, yes libs---we know that there are some RINOs who fight against it, too.
News Flash! GOP has the majority and the GOP leaders voted against everify and in favor of the dreamers' act.

Quote:
An effort to mandate that every employer use a system to check that their employees are working in the country legally was rejected by House leaders Tuesday — a strong signal that those pushing immigration reform do not believe it has enough support to be passed as part of a comprehensive immigration bill.

The failure of the e-verify plan — which was eagerly sought by conservatives wary of the bill — means the House will instead vote on a plan that still includes a path to citizenship for 1.8 million Dreamers, people brought to the country illegally as children.
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...213791734.html

No crickets about this except from right-wing posters.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Because they lie when they say they are for e-verify. The left wants the votes and the business owners on the right want cheap labor.
Great post but one correction --- There are plenty of those on the left who are business owners and also want cheap labor. Many on the left also want cheap gardeners, nannies and maids and thus, turn a blind eye to the fact that they are hiring illegals. Either that or they know they are hiring illegals and pat themselves on the back and crow about how they are helping the downtrodden.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Great post but one correction --- There are plenty of those on the left who are business owners and also want cheap labor. Many on the left also want cheap gardeners, nannies and maids and thus, turn a blind eye to the fact that they are hiring illegals. Either that or they know they are hiring illegals and pat themselves on the back and crow about how they are helping the downtrodden.
Its generally the conservative republicans who own large corporate farms and ranches that want cheap labor. They talk a big game about illegals but the second any money is involved they fold on there stances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies