Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
They don't think it's stupid.

They are afraid the system will work so they lie to cover up their fears.
Yeah, that's it. LOL>

Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many times do I have to tell you and yours that the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of our border is all that's needed? The rest is impassible terrain so fewer will try those routes and fewer will succeed. The Border Patrol can focus their efforts in those areas. Trump stated as such tonight on TV. That 700 mile long wall was already approved by congress back in 2006.
Bush & Obama already built the wall approved in 2006, and obviously it did not work, or we would not be having this conversation today.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:12 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They...

- think calling a plan supported by conservatives stupid will make them look smart
It does make us look smart when the plan is stupid.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
An inanimate object cannot really be stupid. But people can. And plans can. And policies can.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
No reason given. Just attack the person. Why can't liberals argue points instead of attacking the character or intelligence of their opponent?
We have. You refuse to accept that our points are valid. Trump's stubborn childish insistence on a useless wall is putting our country at risk. Our government is in partial shutdown because he INSISTS on a dumb wall not even Republicans want. It has been proven throughout history walls don"t work. Diplomacy does. It's a lot cheaper too.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Why do liberals think the wall is stupid! Because liberals have more sense than to believe a man who has none!

Quote:
Clearly, Trump is promoting a concept, not an actual proposal. When you look closely at implementing his idea, difficult, if not impossible, problems abound. To build such a wall, the Mexico-U.S. Boundary Treaty would have to be renegotiated.

Even more difficult would be acquiring the necessary privately owned real estate (with widely unpopular eminent domain proceedings requiring years of litigation).
Quote:
When Trump discussed the cost of his wall on MSNBC, in early February 2016, he said we only need 1,000 miles because of natural barriers, and that would cost $8 billion.

He explained the wall would be made of precast cement, “probably 35 to 40 feet up in the air. That’s high; that’s a real wall. It will actually look good. It’ll look, you know, as good as a wall is going to look.”

A few weeks later, Trump upped the cost to $10 billion to $12 billion. But none of these cost numbers could be verified by a Washington Post fact checker. The Post estimated the cost would be more like $25 billion.
Building Trump’s wall would be an expensive folly.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-wall-...ossible-459802

Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know, I have some liberal members of my family that say our border is only a line in the sand and the stupid poem on the Statue of Liberty erected long ago trumps our modern day immigration laws. Come one, come all in unlimited numbers. I guess we're supposed to be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world in spite of limited resources and a population that has grown by the millions since then.

I use to think that the lefty liberals were just plain stupid but now I realize that they have an ulterior motive.
As do you and everyone else running around with their wig on fire about a stupid wall for the southern border while large swaths of the northern border go conveniently ignored. I wonder why that is?

Your flimsy retort will be that there aren’t anywhere near the same number of illegals crossing over from Canada, but how does one arrive at a quantitative conclusion when it’s wide open? You simply can’t.

The fact is undocumented illegals cross over from Canada too, and until I see a similar 911 state of emergency with regard to northern border jumpers (they probably cruise over on hoverboards since nobody’s looking anyway) then the southern border is of equally minimized concern to me.

What’s fine for the north is just as dandy for the south.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:06 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So does Universal Health Care. How many threads are you starting about that??
If we managed our borders like Israel does and we prevented a flood of illegal entries like Israel does we could afford things like universal healthcare.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:29 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that a go idea except there some stupid rule that the army cannot be used on united states boundary to defend itself, they can only fight overseas.
Would need an exception, maybe a 5 mile buffer zone along the borders of the country.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:57 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If we managed our borders like Israel does and we prevented a flood of illegal entries like Israel does we could afford things like universal healthcare.
Maybe, if universal health care was bundled with a wall, there would be more support for the wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies