Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...224-story.html

Employer indicated they will simply cut hour to offset it. I know of many throughout NYC doing the same.

The positioning at the end of the article indicates the newspaper does not want anyone paying attention to that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:36 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
"I got mad because I got yelled at."
Welcome to the work world, lady.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
So how can it suddenly take fewer man hours to do the same work? It can’t so either quality or service drops or usually both. Then people go elsewhere and the business closes so that’s where that little snit gets the owner.
Then the workers just go pick up another job at a better run business.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
If I have my 40 hours and my $15, I could save money to buy a house or a car — and money to send my daughter to college," she said
This is NYC, right?

Now, look. I've long argued that the working poor were being taken advantage of by big business. That, despite record profits and increased productivity, workers were still getting screwed over. Thus, I generally support minimum wage increases. And actual results (not economic impact studies) have generally shown positive implications when the minimum wage has been raised.

The problem has been that the old minimum wages have not been true market wages...but workers were on an uneven playing field and really didn't have the power to fight without risking economic ruin.

For those who claim that the minimum wage hike hurts mom and pop stores, most of these stores already pay above the minimum wage...the real culprits were your McDonalds and Walmart. With all of that said, even I think $15 an hour for a fast food worker is ridiculous in this day and age. And itss not sustainable.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So how can it suddenly take fewer man hours to do the same work? It can’t so either quality or service drops or usually both. Then people go elsewhere and the business closes so that’s where that little snit gets the owner.
They'll increase automation or just cut back on hrs that the business is open if it makes financial sense. That or, as you wrote, quality and/or service will drop.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
In general, one can decrease man hours in a service business, and people end up doing more work each.

I used to manage in a Tn manufacturing plant where we took 2 manhours a day away from a 6 person crew per week, until a month later, 5 were producing what 6 had. We would shift worker 6 to shipping 2 hours/day week 1, 4 hours/day week 2, 6 hours/day week 3, and in week 4, worker 6 was working in shipping full time.

This avoided us backfilling an open shipping spot.

Same principle a friend applied btw managing in fast food. He redirected employees away from a crew, to facilitate getting rest of crew to work faster.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:55 PM

The Bronx Target btw runs about 10-12 self checkouts every day with 2 staff, but only 1-2 manned registers at the same time.

They managed around the Fight for 15 beautifully.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:02 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Quote:
Rivera, an illiterate grandmother of six
Part of the problem right here, I'm thinking.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Part of the problem right here, I'm thinking.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
No matter who's panties are getting in a wad, if the math doesn't work, the business fails. Businesses are not social programs, they are profitable for the owners/investors or they go under. Money out cannot exceed money in. Employee wages cannot exceed the value that employee brings to the business. The employees rent, food, grandchildren, etc. are not concerns of the business unless and until the business has funds available which may, at management discretion, be diverted to such causes. And tossing pickles at McDonald's is not meant to support a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
With all of that said, even I think $15 an hour for a fast food worker is ridiculous in this day and age. And itss not sustainable.
So if you bring less than minimal skills to the table should you expect more than minimal pay? Every time I was dissatisfied with my wages, I found ways to make myself more valuable and only then sought higher pay.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies