Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
.. over and over again ' the same bigoted and biased types seek out means to promote inhumanity.... what the heck!!! I certainly hope you some of these biased and bigoted types do not have access to any young people... the young people don't need their minds damaged with the stuff biased and bigoted and self gluttons spew....

America will continue to be America...
America never has been and never will be a Marxist society. Period. Learn to live in the reality of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 07:15 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
America never has been and never will be a Marxist society. Period. Learn to live in the reality of that.
Yet the Media, Entertainment, Education, Tech Companies, Social Media and the Democrats are pushing us that way. It is tough to resist for many people as after a while you believe what you keep hearing, even though they are lies.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We live in a world of limited resources, in which nations and individuals must make decisions regarding allocation of resources. The US is a wealthy nation, but does not have the resources to support every poor individual in the world. The US-Mexican border is an avenue for the flow of illegal immigrants not only from Mexico, but the rest of the world. To open up the US borders, or limit efforts to maintain our sovereignty, would result in a massive influx of people seeking generous US government benefits intended for its citizens.

So................ to pay for the current tab of $100 billion per year for illegals and the future tab of many more, what specific government benefits would YOU PERSONALLY be willing to give up to pay for the support of the illegals?

Please do not engage in deflection (I agree, like you, that we spend too much on the military). Cuts to US citizens are currently made and will continue to increase to support illegals. Which ones do you no longer desire?

Medicare?

Social Security?

Roads?

Education?

Dams/levees/bridges?

Federal law enforcement?

Food stamps?
This is a strawman argument, because illegals are already leaving in greater numbers than they're entering. You assume a position as fact ("open borders") that isn't true. We simply don't want to waste money on a wall that will have minimal to no effect, when the status quo is working. Those billions could be put to greater societal good than on the Wall.

However, I thought I read somewhere that Trump was reducing his demand to less than $2 billion. Considering that's such a drop in the bucket for our overall budget, I'm not sure it's worth it to have a Mexican standoff (no pun intended) over this issue and keep our government unfunded. If the demand is 1.3 or 1.6 billion, the Dems should just give it to Trump, regardless of the stupidity and wastefulness of this endeavor.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet the Media, Entertainment, Education, Tech Companies, Social Media and the Democrats are pushing us that way. It is tough to resist for many people as after a while you believe what you keep hearing, even though they are lies.
Marxism, you all keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Marxism, you all keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it means.
It means one cannot benefit from one's own initiative and labor. It means part of what one earns is confiscated from one by threat of imprisonment and given to another who hasn't earned it. In other words, forced slavery.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:38 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
This is a strawman argument, because illegals are already leaving in greater numbers than they're entering. You assume a position as fact ("open borders") that isn't true. We simply don't want to waste money on a wall that will have minimal to no effect, when the status quo is working. Those billions could be put to greater societal good than on the Wall.

However, I thought I read somewhere that Trump was reducing his demand to less than $2 billion. Considering that's such a drop in the bucket for our overall budget, I'm not sure it's worth it to have a Mexican standoff (no pun intended) over this issue and keep our government unfunded. If the demand is 1.3 or 1.6 billion, the Dems should just give it to Trump, regardless of the stupidity and wastefulness of this endeavor.

I went to Eastern Europe about a month after German reunification. I’ve seen the effects of Marxism. I am very familiar with it and want none of that.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Corporate subsidies

Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
That stuff is pretty expensive. Their contributions to the government do not come close to covering it. The rest is stolen from actual Americans.
Cut that off and we can make it up in paying higher restaurant prices as well as for fresh fruit and vegetables. Just decide.

I saw a Trump supporting Alabama farmer giving his perspective on migrant farm workers and his sentiment was ~ "do you want to eat"?

Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I went to Eastern Europe about a month after German reunification. I’ve seen the effects of Marxism. I am very familiar with it and want none of that.
I was in East Berlin for several days about 40 years ago. Went through Checkpoint Charlie. Even though it was decades after World War II, the city was still in a state of massive disrepair, and poverty was rampant. Marxism simply does not work. It drags everyone and everything into poverty. I want no part of that, as well.

Incidentally, I accidentally brought DDR currency back into the West, even though foreigners removing DDR currency from the country was strictly verboten. I forgot it was in my pocket, and didn't declare it at the exit (from the DDR) post. Oops.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Corporate subsidies
You mean Federal Development Grants, like the ones Obama squandered on Solyndra. Other than that, the Fed Gov isn't in the habit of cutting checks payable to corporations, unless they've contracted to buy something from them.

Meanwhile, the Fed Gov loads takers EBT cards up with funds to spend every month while not requiring them to do anything productive at all.

A Los Angeles artist explains the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luo40WjBKWI

Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Sure. End the Farm Bill. Now. 80% of it goes to fund the Food Stamps program, and its even more than that when the Bill's funding of the free school meals programs is added.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...r-go-to-school

Eliminate ALL of the above. Fund those programs via voluntary donations.
How about we revoke the Trump tax bill give away to corporations and fund their tax breaks with voluntary donations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies