Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The military is something the government is supposed to fund. Money for illegals is not.

WHERE does the Constitution say it's supposed to be funded for building/defending other nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Entire military? He said reduce from $700B to $600B. It seems we are pulling back from a number of overseas bases/operations, so that much savings is almost automatic. Even with half the military budget would buy us a military no one would be able to challenge.
True military "cost" - including Security State (which IS military) and interest on the military part of the debt - and vets and part of the Energy Dept (makes Nuclear Weapons) is WAY over a Trillion dollars.

600 Billion would be 1/2 price.....

Opps.... 1.5 Trillion!

https://www.warresisters.org/sites/d..._-_low_res.pdf

If you check out the figures involved, most of them are quite accurate. You could assign a little less to interest on the military spending...but considering the government gives tax cuts and then borrows for the Military, this isn't realistic.

ALL OF US consider the "cost of money" and property taxes and everything else in home, car or business ownership.

So think about that one. 1.5 TRILLION...or, put another way, most every cent in Fed. Income Tax collected from citizens.

"The federal government collected a record $1,683,537,000,000 in individual income taxes in fiscal 2018"

Old 12-26-2018, 02:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHERE does the Constitution say it's supposed to be funded for building/defending other nations?
Nowhere - and anyone familiar with history knows we had virtually no standing army at any time in the past.

This started big time with the Spanish-American war, but went into overdrive after WWII.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
i would give up military fiascos like troops to the border -- anyone know what that political drama cost? Also would give up sending troops anywhere. Would give up nuclear build-up.

We could drastically cut the military budget, period. Bye-by. Corporate welfare? I can do without it. Farm subsidies? I can do without it. Congressional pork for their own districts? I can do without it.

Also--think what we could save if we didn't have to pay for the 20 Trump family members to travel and jet-set all over the globe for luxury vacations and their own personal enrichment through their sometimes legal businesses. I could do without that for sure. I could give up paying for Javanka to attend all of Trump's global meetings. Why do we actually require their presence? You and I pay for this BS.

And I would not spend a dime on ancient technology like cement walls OR $12 billion to bribe farmers due to the president's idiotic tariffs.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:23 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Where are you getting your $100 billion number OP?

Before we start throwing numbers around, let's see how much illegals actually cost -- less any taxes they pay back for the income they make.

I've posted this link several times. How could you have possibly missed it? It includes the $19 billion that illegal contribute.

Illegal Immigration a $113 Billion a Year Drain on U.S. Taxpayers | Federation for American Immigration Reform

Old 12-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Your 100 billion number is likely way, way off. It doesn't even take into account the positive impact immigrants have on our economy. Why would anyone have to give up social security or medicare because of undocumented immigrants? Those programs are for citizens. If we give those up, it will because we do not have enough immigrants. We need more immigrants and while the immigrants themselves may cost us a little, their children tend to be very successful. Their children's taxes are badly needed her to keep these programs going. We need them.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...omy/691997002/

No, the $100 billion is not way off. They cite their sources. Why do you keep jumping from talking about illegal aliens and legal immigrants? Who said we don't need "legal" immigrants? Stop blurring those lines!!! We don't need illegal aliens for anything and there is no such thing as an undocumented.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I've posted this link several times. How could you have possibly missed it? It includes the $19 billion that illegal contribute.

Illegal Immigration a $113 Billion a Year Drain on U.S. Taxpayers | Federation for American Immigration Reform

Can you point out where/how it calculates the cost/gain of what businesses hiring illegals profit from their cheap labor?

Old 12-26-2018, 02:48 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A better question would be how much more are you willing to pay so that Americans will be attracted to these low income jobs rather than illegal immigrants.

How much more are you willing to pay for things like produce, home improvement, lawn care.
Since as recently as 20 - 30 years ago we already did so we need a combined effort of border security and penalties for employing them.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Many of the jobs that illegals have taken were never low paying jobs such as construction prior to them willing to work cheaper.

Lol, those who hire illegal aliens do not pass any savings on to the consumer. They merely pocket the profits for themselves. What they do pass on to the taxpayer are their enormous social costs.

Anyone who thinks that illegal aliens are a net benefit to our society are idiots.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:05 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Cut the military budget and corporate welfare and we could probably even afford single-payer healthcare.

And OP, I demand to know what you will give up to pay for the massive bailout Trump is giving the farmers to cover his blunder, using our money?

Please list what you will forfeit for that. We'll all wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies