Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What about broadband, if your only provider is AT&T you are going to get it or do without, I can't believe that you would do without internet because OMG you are contributing to someone's pension, that's just silly.
Your only provider being AT&T was the result of the following...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeldwfOwuL8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:03 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is nothing to get over. Government pensions aren’t big on my “problem” list. But if you look at the post, I was responding to a poster who is comparing private sector management to public sector management. You can’t make that comparison. I choose to use AT&T. If I don’t like their CEOs salary or pension, I can switch to Verizon. I can’t do that with the public sector. It’s a monopoly.

And to the poster who brought up bailouts? I’m against them too.
You have way MORE power in the public sector. You vote for them. You have no say over whether O'reilly works for FOX, you have a say in who represents you.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:09 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Then move. Retirees typically move away from areas with a high cost of living.
Are you telling me to Move?
I was asking a question as to who these retirees were, Fed or State. And, I was saying that a retirement in that range of 100000 isnt all that much in some parts of Cali.
I am a retiree, and a former resident of Cali, Or, VA, Ny, Hawaii..

Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
A far better question is why don't private sector jobs offer pensions anymore?
Because money was poorly invested by their companies and its not a good investment anymore.
Some companies, like Publix, pay low but offer stock. Incentive to work harder.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You have way MORE power in the public sector. You vote for them. You have no say over whether O'reilly works for FOX, you have a say in who represents you.
On a local level, sure. But not on the federal level.

The viewership for all 3 big cable prime time news is around 6 million.

In contrast, 126 million people voted in the last presidential election.

My vote goes a lot farther when divided into 6 million than it does 126 million.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I worked for 30 years with the Federal Government. I made, at the end, as a Senor Attorney, $115,000.00 per year.

My pension is $2,2100 per month.

Let me know your thoughts. Am I evil?

No.Certainly not evil. Just as a comparison my brother in law worked and retired from a major telecommunications company in LA. He was an installer which meant for the most of his time he ran cable from point a to point b. Union job with overtime. Retirement year annual income 125,000. Retirement income 62,000.00.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Are you telling me to Move?
I was asking a question as to who these retirees were, Fed or State. And, I was saying that a retirement in that range of 100000 isnt all that much in some parts of Cali.
I am a retiree, and a former resident of Cali, Or, VA, Ny, Hawaii..
I wasn’t directing it to you specifically. If youv’e got the money, live wherever you want. I was saying if a retiree is getting 100,000 a year, and he cant afford to live in parts of California, then they should move. Plenty of retirees from the NYC area move when they retire. A retiree is not held down by a job and in most cases, their children are gown up, so they move to Florida or Arizona or wherever the cost of living is not that high.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:26 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
On a local level, sure. But not on the federal level.

The viewership for all 3 big cable prime time news is around 6 million.

In contrast, 126 million people voted in the last presidential election.

My vote goes a lot farther when divided into 6 million than it does 126 million.
Your vote amounts to nothing with the 6 million because you don't have one. They didn't fire O'rielly because he lost viewers. He didn't. I actually liked and enjoyed watching the guy. He was among the more politically moderate when it comes to comes Fox.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
No.Certainly not evil. Just as a comparison my brother in law worked and retired from a major telecommunications company in LA. He was an installer which meant for the most of his time he ran cable from point a to point b. Union job with overtime. Retirement year annual income 125,000. Retirement income 62,000.00.
So, he gets 50% of his salary, and how long did he work - 30 years? I don't see a problem with that but I grew up in the 50's and 60's when far more people got pensions and unions were far more common. At that time neither were viewed as being bad. 401Ks were a wall street invention designed to make money for fund managers whether the market went up or down. After they were incorporated into the tax code defined benefit pensions only covered 18% of the population as opposed to 35% before they were created.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Your vote amounts to nothing with the 6 million because you don't have one. They didn't fire O'rielly because he lost viewers. He didn't. I actually liked and enjoyed watching the guy. He was among the more politically moderate when it comes to comes Fox.
My point is escaping you. If people dont watch O’Reilly, his show gets cancelled. If I am one of those potential 6 million viewers and I watch someone else, then I am contributing to his demise. My vote is more powerful in this setting than it is in a presidential election where the pool of potential “votes” is 20X larger. In the end, he was done in because of other issues, but that is not relevant to this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies