Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,715,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The guy let the situation escalate because he was profiled. Probably didn't want to tell the security guard what room he was staying at, so the guard call the cops. I understand why he would make a big deal about it, but had he been a mature person, he would have cooperated from the beginning and let them be racist without calling attention, he would not have been kicked out of the hotel. He got his minute of fame and proved that racism is alive and well.
He is likely an activist who intentionally provoked the situation. What we don’t know is what he was really doing before hand. Did he intentionally make himself look suspyin some way? If he did that would not be on his video. What happened is what he wanted to happen. He got his 15 seconds and proved to his far left base that all white people are racist. Tired of this liberal horsepucky.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,427,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
All I’m saying is if the same thing happens to a white guy you will never hear about it.
Exactly right. I have been 'challenged' many times in my life to show that I was a guest to be at the pool or in the business office or whatever.

Seems odd he was using the lobby phone and saving his phone to record an incident that he sort of provoked.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,642,573 times
I pointed out in a previous topic about a black man trying to cash a check, that in order to continue the perpetuation of the doctrine of black innate inferiority, society must first discredit external causes for black inequality of conditions and behaviors. Ergo, my parable about a guy walking through a swarm of gnats and acting seemingly "abnormal" only because people refuse to acknowledge the role of the gnats in his behavior, because the gnats are not visible from afar.

Without fail, when black people point to something external, a white person will chime in and say "that happened to us/me too". But of course, whites are able to handle the situation in a SUPERIOR fashion and rise above the circumstance. Blacks, seemingly, don't have what white people have that allows whites to experience what blacks experience, yet, come out much better than blacks, notwithstanding going through the same things as blacks. I mean, the argument, whether implicit or explicit, that others go through what blacks go through and come out SUPERIOR, is a racist argument. If we were "equal" and experienced the same impediments, we should come out equally. If one assumes that we are "equal" then the assumption would be that we did not have the same experiences, if we come out unequal.....right? The fact that people assume that they have experienced what blacks have, but came out superior to blacks, is implicitly inferring that you don't see blacks as inherently "equal" to begin with.

America does not want to link the black condition in America to the condition of racism, past or present. Yes, ALL actions produce reactions, but America is not to believe that blacks are impacted by the accrued impact of centuries of racism. Dismissing this racism only leaves the nature of blacks to explain relative dysfunction in the black collective community. We are "angry" without reason. It's just our "nature", not what we have been through, because, of course, whites have been through the same thing...but they just brush stuff off and remain respectful and kind....unlike blacks of course....who have this chip on their shoulder for no reason. Of course, whites could have the same chip.....but again, their superior nature prevents that.

Look at this video from the 20/20 social experiment. Again, racism today is hard to see because its hidden in a Trojan Horse of some rule or code violation, or politics. Once a racist has the cover of a black person violating some rule or code or suspicion, the racist has their cover to ACT against the black person. They convince themselves and others are fooled that the violation and not race, was the trigger. However, the racism is not gleaned from the violation, but the violation enforcement. The only way to know the desperate impact of that is to do a white and black test....like this one from 20/20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7i60GuNRg

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-30-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 11:23 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,427,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Professionalism matters... which is why they were fired.
Or they were fired to appease people. It doesn't mean they were found to have done anything wrong.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:33 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,289,862 times
Of course, racism exists. And of course, no one's value or even sociological place should ever be determined solely by the color of their skin. And if white people don't think that slavery and the oppression of minorities in this country isn't still being felt, then let's see how quickly they'd be willing to change places with someone of color. Not someone rich and famous - just some regular Joe Schmoe just like them (us). For that matter, let's see how many people are willing to change places with a member of any protected class. Anti discrimination laws are on our books for a reason - because discrimination based on skin color, race, gender, disability, age, etc. STILL EXISTS and would run rampant if we as a society allowed it. Human nature over the course of history proves this. And no skin tone or culture is immune to practicing, or being the victim of, prejudice.

I live in the real world, a realistic world. That's why I taught my four dark skinned children to behave, to carry themselves with tact and good manners, to be polite and cooperative with anyone in any position of authority as long as their requests were lawful, to be tolerant, to treat others as they want to be treated, to NOT make assumptions based on skin color, ethnicity, gender, etc.

Wait - I would have taught lighter skinned kids the same lessons. Because those are just good basics for interacting in our society in a peaceful, kind manner.

You know what happened to me one time, standing in line in a cafeteria of all places, with all four of my dark skinned progeny lined up behind me? Some older, white lady came up to me and said, "I just want to tell you how impressed I am that you adopted all those kids." She said this right in front of my kids. And get this - she was trying to be nice. She meant this as a compliment to me. Now I could have gotten mad. I could have gotten sarcastic. I could have gotten on my high horse. But what I said was this - I laughed and said, "Well, thank you, but these are my own kids." She STILL didn't get it - she said then, "Oh, I know you consider them to be yours since they're adopted but I just mean I think it's so great that you adopted the whole family." (My kids do all look like brothers and sisters.) Oh my gosh! Well, all my kids' eyes were on me, that's for sure. So I just smiled again and said, "Yes, I do consider them mine, because they ARE mine. They sprang from my loins."

Let her chew on that a bit! I don't know what happened with her because we just walked off, but I thought it was funny, and I thought it ended well. I stood my ground but I didn't let her racism, which she probably wasn't even really aware of it was so hard wired into her, get under my skin or ruin our lunch. My kids were all like "Hey, Mom, what does that mean - sprang from your loins? What does that mean, what does that mean?" Great lunch conversation there!

There are ways to handle discrimination and prejudice without screaming and yelling and upping the ante.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,471,158 times
Why would he have to show anyone his key? Hotel staff assumes if you're there you're either a guest or there to conduct business with, or visit, a guest.

IF he was speaking loudly and using profane language, and was asked to stop but didn't, that changes things - but so far this hasn't been stated by anyone - and the hotel would come off much better had that been the case.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM

827 posts, read 648,434 times
I would have to say Its up to the owners of the hotel who stays there not the government telling you what you can do and can't do with your property.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope. Don't put words in my mouth.
I didn't you did. What you were doing is the same thing. "He had pics of himself out drinking and having a good time hence........"

Quote:
That being said, lifestyle does tell us a bit about overall character.
So does what people post.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have mixed feelings about this story. I don't think Massey handled the situation the best after he was initially approached. It seems like pride took over and he was so angry about potentially being racially profiled that he didn't want to cooperate, which could have easily ended the misunderstanding. In many of these incidents with blacks, particularly police officers, pride from being potentially racially profiled takes over, and they refuse to give basic information like ID, address, room number (in this case), etc., and what could have been a minor inconvenience ends up being a huge situation (sometimes deadly when police are involved).
Nobody should co-operate with racial profiling.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Or they were fired to appease people. It doesn't mean they were found to have done anything wrong.
In which case they would file a lawsuit. They did wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies