Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 05:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The guest did not make a scene, he responded as most of you would. The security person and on duty manager made a huge mistake. How would you respond if you were required to vacate your room at midnight for no reason but to be talking to your mother in the lobby?

Their employer is at risk for a huge settlement.
Actually the police report states that he was very angry and very loud. He DID "make a scene." He wasn't asked to leave BEFORE he made a scene, he was asked to leave after he became loud and disruptive.

But yeah, you're right - he and his attorneys are probably going to get a lot of money from Doubletree.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:34 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The fact is that if I am am legitimate, I don't want to be hassled and treated like I am illegitimate. I don't think it's an ideal country where you are assumed guilty until you present proof of your innocence. That is essentially what is going on.....but the application is subjective. Not everyone has to present proof....some people and races, apparently, look more innocent than guilty of something.

Who knew? You are just like Brett Kavanaugh, with no presumption of innocence. That's KOOL!
Odd that you tend to bond with those who don't believe in the Presumption of Innocence. Odd World.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I wasn't even talking about myself specifically nor did I use any personal anecdotes, and yet I still am not speaking correctly enough for you. My goodness.

I am not assuming you're stupid by the way. But if someone shows me stupid, I'll reach an informed decision after some observation. Those are the sort of decisions I feel most comfortable with - informed ones. Keep talking - I'm understanding more and more about your mindset.

As for the injured leg, say someone had surgery on a torn Achilles tendon. It took months to heal - months. Not only that - some people's Achilles tendon injuries take a lot longer to heal, they get complications, their injuries are different, their treatments are different, they may or may not comply well with treatment plans, etc. There are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, an Achilles tendon injury is usually healed up in about 6 months to a year. By healed, I don't mean perfect. I don't mean it never hurts. I don't mean it ever looks the same, or operates exactly as it did before. I don't mean it doesn't need some extra attention from time to time months or even years later. But at some point, the vast majority of people with an AT injury are standing on two feet, walking on two feet without a limp, and no one would be able to tell just by casually watching them that they'd ever had an injury.

It's not wrong to expect the vast majority of African Americans to able and willing to perform well and be treated well in our society at this point. When this doesn't happen, let's get real with it and address those people who are not doing well or treating others well. But let's not pretend that the effort to heal that broken leg hasn't been made, and that the medical care hasn't been consistent for at least two generations now. It's time to walk together - you want that, right? You want all Americans to stand together, and hold each other up, right?

The expectation has be be based upon something, however. When you create unrealistic expectations, you can create an inferiority complex when the expectation is not realized. If you keep telling your kids that they should have achieved something that they have not, they may very well start feeling less about themselves and see themselves as failures. Managing expectations is a key aspect of a healthy mindset. There is no standard or baseline to suggest that blacks are under performing or out performing their recovery from centuries of racial oppression.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Wonder what the immediate cost and 1 year cost will be to the DoubleTree brand and to it's parent company, Hilton (HLT)?

Businessmen will want to stay there more now that they know Doubletree is serious about keeping out the riff-raff.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Something else happened then. Management generally isn't in the habit of tossing paying guests...doesn't go over well in the Yelp review.
We have no video of what happened - we only have a youtube video of one side.
We also have 2 employees fired, 2 lawsuits and a Lawyer on speed dial.

I say again - surveillance cameras are cheap, cheap, cheap ...... it's the only answer that makes sense.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Per advice given to me by people who have watched this same argument go on like this for years.

"You're absolutely right. White people are racists. Racists, racists, racists. Mea culpa for my sins and the sins of my ancestors. Can I get you a drink, a job, personal happiness? I mean, clearly you expect more of white people than whatever it is you're getting so to be clear, I am going to follow your advice and expect less personal responsibility and excuse more personal behavior because by golly, your people are justifiably angry and they get a pass. All of 'em. Because no one else can possibly understand the struggle of discriminated against, ever ever ever. Here, take my house, please. Take my car. Take the very joy from my bones, because these are the bones of a white person and they are inherently guilty."

OK that was a joke - sort of. But not really that funny a joke because it sort of hits a little too close to home.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Businessmen will want to stay there more now that they know Doubletree is serious about keeping out the riff-raff.
Yes, I’m sure they’re all sitting around in a circle talking about staying in some PDX Doubletree, riiiiiight.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Per advice given to me by people who have watched this same argument go on like this for years.

"You're absolutely right. White people are racists. Racists, racists, racists. Mea culpa for my sins and the sins of my ancestors. Can I get you a drink, a job, personal happiness? I mean, clearly you expect more of white people than whatever it is you're getting so to be clear, I am going to follow your advice and expect less personal responsibility and excuse more personal behavior because by golly, your people are justifiably angry and they get a pass. All of 'em. Because no one else can possibly understand the struggle of discriminated against, ever ever ever. Here, take my house, please. Take my car. Take the very joy from my bones, because these are the bones of a white person and they are inherently guilty."

OK that was a joke - sort of. But not really that funny a joke because it sort of hits a little too close to home.

Yep, the expectations of not being viewed as inferior is too much to ask of whites. Look, you already stated that you expect that blacks should be further recovered than they are. That is an expectation that has no baseline to base the expectations off of. Thus, it can only be based upon ones general views about the race. If one generally sees blacks as "inferior", their assumption will be that the black performance must be lagging, because such is the symptoms of an inferior people....ie...inferior outcomes and performances.

If there two people, both don't get something done that they supposed to have gotten done. One person is generally seen and viewed as being responsible, intelligent, hard working, dependable and one person is generally seen as being irresponsible, not intelligent, lazy and not dependable, what will be the assumed cause for them not getting their job done? The fact is, we don't know what the cause was for either, but our assumptions and opinions we be based upon nothing more than the reputation of each individual. Thus, the former will be given the benefit of the doubt that something out of their control must have happened or the task was simply unable to be completed.....likely by anyone. The latter will be accused of BEING AT FAULT, not the circumstance or job.

This is what people do not understand about racism. When you do not know something for sure, all you are doing is filling in the missing pieces with your views about the entity. Hence, to assume that black should be expected to be further recovered than they are, without any bases of truth that they SHOULD be, one is just exposing their belief that blacks are inferior. Why would a person choose to believe that the damage was greater than the effort to repair or that society is still inflicting damage.....as opposed to assuming that blacks are underachieving in their recovery? This is racism. Assuming, with no proof, under performance ONLY happens when you feel the entity is inferior and has a history of under performing in their nature.

No one is assuming whites do anything but stop treating people as if they are inferior and stop trying to prevent black unity and self affirmation.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:26 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Usually hotel lobbies are not only for paying guests anyway. People walk in and go to the gift shop, go to the coffee shop, stop at the bar, etc. Some people sit in hotel lobbies to met with their friends. My son travels very frequently for tournaments (like 15-20 times per year) and will often hang out in one hotel lobby with a smaller or larger group of his friends who are staying at nearby hotels. It could be three of them or a dozen of them. As long as they are quiet, nobody seems to care. And they have done this at nicer hotels like the Marriott or Doubletree as well as in lower-end hotels like Best Western or the Hampton Inn.
This is true. A lot of people meet and conduct business or discuss where to go next and aren’t even guests. Lobbys are generally nice and safe places to meet.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:

It is an endless argument frankly because black people as a group refuse to hold their own accountable. I am sure there is a group of black people who loathe it when other black people make their whole race look bad with ignorant and sometimes even violent behavior, but they clearly aren't a big enough group to cause any meaningful change in the black community. Instead you get race baiters like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and other apologists like Obama who coddle and placate the black community with soothing promises that white racism is the real problem in the black community. It's not, and it hasn't been for decades. White America is guilty however of also coddling and placating blacks. This guy at the hotel screams racism at the media and it works and he gets his money and he wins. Whether it was true or not is irrelevant. The point is he is a crybaby who thinks everybody's picking on him because he's black and everybody should tell this guy to grow up instead of demanding money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies