Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:57 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times

Advertisements

I know this has been covered extensively through the years and it’s being continuously used whenever the electoral college is in question. The Trump election won 2016 was rather odd, not his candidacy or his campaign, but his chances were slim to begin with. The results were extremely slim, and closer than people may think. Trump actually had a net loss of Republican votes than Romney in Wisconsin, and yet still won because I argue that Clinton wasn’t popular enough in the rust belt. It’s likely to be easier to argue that the candidate is what matters more than the political party, however the electoral map with the states that are likely to become more competitive are coming from former Solid Red states rather than blue states. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania were the anomaly and the 2018 Midterms are a reflection if the Democrats put up a reasonable candidate. Even if the Republicans perform slightly better in the rust belt, it doesn’t justify the fact that elections are becoming MUCH closer in former GOP states than blue states. As I said earlier, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are still pretty solid Democratic states. However, the states of Texas, Georgia, and Arizona are all becoming more and more purple every election cycle due to migration from northern states and immigrations that don’t tend to support the GOP. Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada pretty much always vote Democratic now without any question or debate. Since 2008, they’ve had the Dems win in the presidental election, and it has been getting closer to all Solid blue states ever since. Do you think the GOP will have to readjust their platform to Left just a tad to gain support, or do you think that the GOP will continue to be supported by being an alternative to the increasing Liberal hysteria that GOP leaders gravitate towards when facing elections?

I know we all like statistics but let’s remind everyone that the GOP loses in every category of voters except White, Religious, Lower education, and blue collar workers (unless there’s more?). Where will the GOP gain voters in going forward? I don’t think this will be sustainable in 10-20 years, but I could be wrong?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:35 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,042 times
Both parties are going down the same roads. Hopefully, Libertarians will gain as common sense is being lost by the extremists in both parties.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
While the Reds are shooting themselves in the feet more than the Blues these days, the entire f-ing system needs an overhaul. Should start off from scratch with the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and then:

Move the capital to the middle of the country, have no political parties (as George Washington advised), elect non-politicians, and forbid lobbyists. Anything less will keep us on the same bandwagon of division and dysfunction.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:49 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,246 times
It's going to be harder for white Democrats to win as well.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I know this has been covered extensively through the years and it’s being continuously used whenever the electoral college is in question. The Trump election won 2016 was rather odd, not his candidacy or his campaign, but his chances were slim to begin with. The results were extremely slim, and closer than people may think.

Trump actually had a net loss of Republican votes than Romney in Wisconsin, and yet still won because I argue that Clinton wasn’t popular enough in the rust belt. It’s likely to be easier to argue that the candidate is what matters more than the political party, however the electoral map with the states that are likely to become more competitive are coming from former Solid Red states rather than blue states. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania were the anomaly and the 2018 Midterms are a reflection if the Democrats put up a reasonable candidate.

Even if the Republicans perform slightly better in the rust belt, it doesn’t justify the fact that elections are becoming MUCH closer in former GOP states than blue states. As I said earlier, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are still pretty solid Democratic states. However, the states of Texas, Georgia, and Arizona are all becoming more and more purple every election cycle due to migration from northern states and immigrations that don’t tend to support the GOP. Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada pretty much always vote Democratic now without any question or debate.

Since 2008, they’ve had the Dems win in the presidental election, and it has been getting closer to all Solid blue states ever since. Do you think the GOP will have to readjust their platform to Left just a tad to gain support, or do you think that the GOP will continue to be supported by being an alternative to the increasing Liberal hysteria that GOP leaders gravitate towards when facing elections?

I know we all like statistics but let’s remind everyone that the GOP loses in every category of voters except White, Religious, Lower education, and blue collar workers (unless there’s more?). Where will the GOP gain voters in going forward? I don’t think this will be sustainable in 10-20 years, but I could be wrong?

Any thoughts?
Yep, hit the enter button now and then.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Both parties are going down the same roads. Hopefully, Libertarians will gain as common sense is being lost by the extremists in both parties.
The issue is that Republicans will attempt to show as much resistance as possible to prevent that because it’ll almost make it certain that the Republican voter base will shrink drastically which will only prop up the Democratic Party. Same as the Green Party, but reversed.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:26 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Well stated, both parties need to start representing the bulk of their party and stop allowing their fringe elements to be their voice.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
While the Reds are shooting themselves in the feet more than the Blues these days, the entire f-ing system needs an overhaul. Should start off from scratch with the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and then:

Move the capital to the middle of the country, have no political parties (as George Washington advised), elect non-politicians, and forbid lobbyists. Anything less will keep us on the same bandwagon of division and dysfunction.
I am standing up applauding your post!!!

The only thing I disagree with is the no party system. THAT would basically become a majority rules situation where the Constitution could not exist.

I believe you are very close and with a little more thought I could get completely on board.

Moving the Capital to the middle of the country also makes perfect sense. DC would turn into the dumpster it is and those public funds millionaires would be in the shts, which is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Well stated, both parties need to start representing the bulk of their party and stop allowing their fringe elements to be their voice.

It truly is that simple. People say they want to change the status quo and when they make a sincere attempt at doing so (electing Trump) the swamp monsters rise up and thwart them by activating their ignorant army of witless morons. Trump, though I didn't vote for him (Johnson for me), was elected and we see how the left has become anti-American in the name of THEIR VALUES! What a joke!!

Condescending hypocrites who wouldn't know their right brain from their left.

Cheers to you and all other Constitutionalists!! GOD BLESS the USA!
(progressives just became outraged, GOOD!)

Old 12-28-2018, 04:19 PM

17,602 posts, read 6,890,573 times
As for RowingFiend, it's going to be hard to ever vote for another Democrat given their stated hatred of white men and American citizens.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I know this has been covered extensively through the years and it’s being continuously used whenever the electoral college is in question. The Trump election won 2016 was rather odd, not his candidacy or his campaign, but his chances were slim to begin with. The results were extremely slim, and closer than people may think. Trump actually had a net loss of Republican votes than Romney in Wisconsin, and yet still won because I argue that Clinton wasn’t popular enough in the rust belt. It’s likely to be easier to argue that the candidate is what matters more than the political party, however the electoral map with the states that are likely to become more competitive are coming from former Solid Red states rather than blue states. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania were the anomaly and the 2018 Midterms are a reflection if the Democrats put up a reasonable candidate. Even if the Republicans perform slightly better in the rust belt, it doesn’t justify the fact that elections are becoming MUCH closer in former GOP states than blue states. As I said earlier, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are still pretty solid Democratic states. However, the states of Texas, Georgia, and Arizona are all becoming more and more purple every election cycle due to migration from northern states and immigrations that don’t tend to support the GOP. Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada pretty much always vote Democratic now without any question or debate. Since 2008, they’ve had the Dems win in the presidental election, and it has been getting closer to all Solid blue states ever since. Do you think the GOP will have to readjust their platform to Left just a tad to gain support, or do you think that the GOP will continue to be supported by being an alternative to the increasing Liberal hysteria that GOP leaders gravitate towards when facing elections?

Any thoughts?
Yes. They know this. It's why they are so KEEN on voter suppression and whatever cheating method they can use to keep themselves in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies