Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What a terrifying idea that someone could dictate us what we are to believe in or not believe in. If the left ever takes full power I am sure part of that will be a law enforcement arm of the government that makes sure the politically incorrect “pay the price”. Before that I pray that the sensible Americans rise up and fight for our freedoms and restore this nation. I truly cannot believe the things I hear Americans actually say these days. What happened to freedom of speech and respecting your oppositions right to speak their mind? The fact that people in this very thread believe in silencing those who oppose homosexuality is proof that our core freedoms are in danger. You must realize that at least half the nation does not approve of homosexuality right?

I can’t believe this is really the same America I grew up in. How on earth was this country’s values and politics changed so much in such a shor period of time.
Times change. And America is much more welcoming to ALL than it used to be. And everyone should have the right to believe what they want to believe but when you use those beliefs to restrict the life of others that’s not freedom that’s a right to oppress. Of course if you are part of the majority you don’t experience most if any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We are at a point where the rest of us do NOT have the right to reject their choices. We just have to tolerate it, or pay the price.
You're welcome to reject us any time.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Times change. And America is much more welcoming to ALL than it used to be. And everyone should have the right to believe what they want to believe but when you use those beliefs to restrict the life of others that’s not freedom that’s a right to oppress. Of course if you are part of the majority you don’t experience most if any of that.
The problem is liberals see oppression everywhere. We reject their thin skinned easily offended society. The freedom of speech of all is more important than a few offended minorities. I would like to know where this oppression is? Are people being denied housing because of race? Are people being kept from jobs or arrested for being black? gay? Mexican? Is anyone being persecuted? The answe is no they are not. Really what is going on is the demonization of white people, Christians and men. What all this is about is forcing people to believe in the left wing view of social issues or compelling them with threats to be silent. This is unacceptable. If this is your change then we stand ready to oppose it. I believe in America not this crazy leftist version of it. Freedom is worth fighting for.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It is a myth that most gays are confrontational. But in reality, most of us absolutely don't want to draw attention to ourselves and just want to live in peace. We know plenty of gay couples like us who don't show PDA. Any chance of trouble we will simply get up and leave. The gays you see who make a scene only make up a small minority of us.

Look at it this way. We have a lot to lose. I'm a professional engineer and husband is a PR pro. We both work in huge multi-national corporations. We own a home, have 3 dogs, 2 cars, go on yearly vacations, etc. We host events often at our home. We are starting up our own company. In other words, why in the world would we want to jeopardize all of what we have earned to have a 15 minutes of fame on the internet?

If we got chosen to kiss for that photo, we would have turned it down. Let other people be heros. We just want to live our lives in peace. Especially now when snowflake homophobic conservatives came out of the woods, we are not particularly thrilled to be in any kind of public light.

Edit.

In Feb, we will be in Cancun for the week of valentines. We asked both the booking agent and the resort directly if there will be any problem with a same sex couple like us. They made it clear to us that they don't care what we are as long as they get our business.

Too bad places like Jamaica have made it clear they don't want our business. There's one thing we really like and that's go on vacations. We are willing to spend top dollars to have a good time. We will be flying first class down to Cancun and stay at a 5 star resort in an ocean front 1100 sqft suite. Don't know why some places put their homophobia before business. Makes no sense to me.
I actually respect this view. If you have read my posts you know I don’t supply your lifestyle. However you appear to not be trying to force me to as well. You also state that for the most part your personal relationship is kept mostly private (just as most heterosexual people are as well). I respect your right to live your life as you see fit ( free country). What has caused all the trouble around this issue is the in your face assault against traditional values, even in parts of America where strong traditional values are entrenched. Of course this has produced a backlash. Even here in the south however I have never heard anyone advocate for actual persecution of gays. As I have stated before this is NOT Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany. No one actually supports persecution of gays even if our values are conservative and Christian in nature.

I have always thought we would get along better as a nation if we followed our constitution. Let liberal Massachusetts be what it is with it’s values and let conservative Alabama be what it is with it’s values. We need to stop trying to compel others to believe what we do and learn to respect the rights of our ideological opponents like Americans are supposed to do.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
I actually respect this view. If you have read my posts you know I don’t supply your lifestyle. However you appear to not be trying to force me to as well. You also state that for the most part your personal relationship is kept mostly private (just as most heterosexual people are as well). I respect your right to live your life as you see fit ( free country). What has caused all the trouble around this issue is the in your face assault against traditional values, even in parts of America where strong traditional values are entrenched. Of course this has produced a backlash. Even here in the south however I have never heard anyone advocate for actual persecution of gays. As I have stated before this is NOT Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany. No one actually supports persecution of gays even if our values are conservative and Christian in nature.

I have always thought we would get along better as a nation if we followed our constitution. Let liberal Massachusetts be what it is with it’s values and let conservative Alabama be what it is with it’s values. We need to stop trying to compel others to believe what we do and learn to respect the rights of our ideological opponents like Americans are supposed to do.
We as Americans should respect each other. No one should be denied services wether in a restaurant or hospital, hotel just because they have different beliefs than you.

And I disagree with anyone doing that wether is to a gay person, a person of color, or a non Christian as well as to a Christian or even those of different political views as was the case with Sarah Huckabee.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:

You say this, but did you say anything when 16 states had anti sodomy laws before 2003 when the USSC finally declared it unconstitutional? Conservatives like yourself fought tooth and nail to keep those laws in the book. I'm just saying. Respect has to go both ways. You guys have a history of oppressing us. Don't try to deny it.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
The problem is liberals see oppression everywhere. We reject their thin skinned easily offended society. The freedom of speech of all is more important than a few offended minorities. I would like to know where this oppression is? Are people being denied housing because of race? Are people being kept from jobs or arrested for being black? gay? Mexican? Is anyone being persecuted? The answe is no they are not. Really what is going on is the demonization of white people, Christians and men. What all this is about is forcing people to believe in the left wing view of social issues or compelling them with threats to be silent. This is unacceptable. If this is your change then we stand ready to oppose it. I believe in America not this crazy leftist version of it. Freedom is worth fighting for.
The canceled the Women's March in Califormia because too many white people signed up.
In an area that is 80% white.

This is true, google it and find the news report of your choice.

This is where we are today thanks to liberals. I guess white women are now second class citizens according to the women's march organizers?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Now, if they had been two HOT women.....................

Old 12-30-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You say this, but did you say anything when 16 states had anti sodomy laws before 2003 when the USSC finally declared it unconstitutional? Conservatives like yourself fought tooth and nail to keep those laws in the book. I'm just saying. Respect has to go both ways. You guys have a history of oppressing us. Don't try to deny it.
I am a states rights conservative. I believe the SC was wrong and those states had a right to regulate sexual behavior through law. However we must remember that those laws were really not being enforce and they were always tough to enforce. They had become more of a statement of values than something that could get a man put in jail.

Having said that I have mixed feelings about those laws. A statement of values I support but regulating peoples private sexual behavior is not something I support. My view is such that what is done in your private bedroom is your business as long as it does not endanger or victimize someone else. I guess that means I don’t support those types of laws even though I recognize the states right to have them.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The canceled the Women's March in Califormia because too many white people signed up.
In an area that is 80% white.

This is true, google it and find the news report of your choice.

This is where we are today thanks to liberals. I guess white women are now second class citizens according to the women's march organizers?
That's what they say. But they also cancelled one in Chicago.
I'm betting they cancelled it because no one was going to show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies