Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,748,673 times

Advertisements

The GOP for decades said America would collapse due to the judgment of God if same-sex marriage was legalized. The past two years have shown that they seem intent on making that a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 11:23 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,099,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rololoco View Post
Donald Trump has decided to run this airplane directly into the ground. While on the one hand this is a sad reality, on the other the US has been dead for some time. The people who saved it in 2008 at times thought the whole thing was over then. Half the country lives in trailers and is so poor it can't come up with 400 bucks.

Since most of the people on this board are working people, what type of life will you have and what will you tell your children to do? since hard work and ability will not matter soon. They actually don't matter now.
Half the country lives in trailers? What state do you live in? Otherwise, if things become as bad as you say, it would be easy to emigrate to another country. It’s what I’d do and leave behind those in Washington who want to fight endlessly without coming up with anything productive except raising taxes.

I’ve always wanted to live in France, maybe buy a farmhouse, raise chickens, lavender and have a garden. Or maybe life in Canada or New Zeland, who knows. Instead of just passively accepting whatever life throws at you, it’s possible to get out there and improve your life. Just takes effort.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,552,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Meh, I will sell my house, buy a Tesla Model X with free charging, and live in it. Sleep in it at night,, and drive to wherever the weather is best.
Unless of course the grid goes down and you suddenly can't charge your Tesla. That electricity isn't conjured out of thin air.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Half the country lives in trailers? What state do you live in? Otherwise, if things become as bad as you say, it would be easy to emigrate to another country. It’s what I’d do and leave behind those in Washington who want to fight endlessly without coming up with anything productive except raising taxes.

I’ve always wanted to live in France, maybe buy a farmhouse, raise chickens, lavender and have a garden. Or maybe life in Canada or New Zeland, who knows. Instead of just passively accepting whatever life throws at you, it’s possible to get out there and improve your life. Just takes effort.
Don't make the mistake of thinking everything is peachy in France, Canada, or New Zealand either. And frankly, no, it isn't that easy to just pick up and move to one of those countries. Not legally at least. Sure you can buy a 1 way plane ticket anywhere and just overstay your travel visa, but those local governments wont be much help to you once they realize you don't belong there.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,718,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking everything is peachy in France, Canada, or New Zealand either. And frankly, no, it isn't that easy to just pick up and move to one of those countries. Not legally at least. Sure you can buy a 1 way plane ticket anywhere and just overstay your travel visa, but those local governments wont be much help to you once they realize you don't belong there.

Good luck getting through customs on a one way ticket.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Good luck getting through customs on a one way ticket.
Well you don't tell them it's a one-way flight.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Law and order may stick around for a short time following a total collapse, but not for too long.

I think the world would look like 'the walking dead' world pretty quick (without the zombies of course), but the roaming armed gangs would probably be worse anyway!

Once the banks close and ATMs stop working, it would take about a week for society to transform into this 'mad max', 'walking dead' type world, plus, once this happens, it would almost impossible to ever regain control again.
ROFL! The ones who can actually walk a mile without collapsing could be taken down. If they can find gasoline, a little lead through the radiator and engine block will slow them right down. If law and order breaks down completely, we'll have to go back to disposing of the troublemakers.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 PM

271 posts, read 138,674 times
Quote:
I have a cousin who is banned from entering Thailand for overstaying his visa, not once but twice. I'm not sure if the ban if permanent, but I believe it's for at least five years.

I also know that there was almost no judicial process to remove and ban him -- it was strictly administrative and police oriented.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,099,866 times
Quote:
You’re right, no place is perfect, although I can think of a couple islands that are close. If the government goes down the toilet, like in the OP’s example, then it becomes a huge incentive to look for places to move. The world has plenty of expatriates and they’ve all managed to relocate themselves.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,326,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rololoco View Post
Donald Trump has decided to run this airplane directly into the ground. While on the one hand this is a sad reality, on the other the US has been dead for some time. The people who saved it in 2008 at times thought the whole thing was over then. Half the country lives in trailers and is so poor it can't come up with 400 bucks.

So, none of us can stop the collapse, but I am interested in what life looks like and who are the winners and losers going forward. It looks like Trump and many world leaders will operate as mob type barrons. In this case the people in America who will matter will be top rung politicians. It will not be CEO's or celebrities.

Working people may be better off not working, and doing the welfare/tax things.

Since most of the people on this board are working people, what type of life will you have and what will you tell your children to do? since hard work and ability will not matter soon. They actually don't matter now.
Said the college freshman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies