Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 04:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So it sounds like you are in full agreement that many people may not get lucky like you did and have someone capable of helping them...and therefore they are left behind.

With many in poverty, there are 10 or 20 situations like the one you mention happening all at once. Are you doing a lot of volunteer teaching and mentoring in poor communities to "pay it forward"?

I think we all agree that our country is often leaving a lot of talent behind due to the vast differences in educational and other opportunities. There is nothing worse than wasting HUMAN capital. But we do it...a lot.

That's why many countries have pulled ahead of us (in most measurements.)...they have systems to help people and to clearly notice aptitude and the best type of education for each and every citizen.
I think the plethora of posts I've made on this thread already stating that have said that. Did you bother reading them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We is the free government health care that Walmart employees need because they are paid so little.
We are the roads, the police, fire, the military and the justice department and much more.

The real reason this country is headed down the tubes is that "Greed is Good" has replaced "Ask no what your country can do for you". The Waltons not only asked what their country could give to them...they forced the issue.

When did it become decent or even a good thing to milk the system? Note how so many defend Trump for all his bankruptcies...saying "well, they were legal" (or at least he didn't lost any big lawsuits regarding them)...

That's not the point. If we all milk the system the teat goes dry.
How is your “free” health care funded?

Old 01-01-2019, 05:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How is your “free” health care funded?
Just like it is now. Skin in the game. Remember that talking point? Went the way of the DoDo bird but my enlightened state actually does it (to a degree)....

I don't want "free" car insurance either. But I do want car insurance. I don't want to give others a choice not to buy it and then get in accidents and not be able to pay the bills.

I want clean air and water also. You would think I deserve that "for free", but not in todays world.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Nobody will be poor if they do the following:
1. Obey the laws including traffic laws
2. Live below your means and never spend the money you don’t have.
3. Don’t get married or if you do, don’t get divorced.
4. Don’t have children that you can’t support through college
5. Graduate high school and finish college if you can.
6. Develop a good work ethics and hold on to your job
#1 and #3 are next to impossible....or at least both together, based on statistics......

"However, about 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher."

My wife and I didn't get a ticket for 20 years in New England the Mid-Atlantic. We bought a house in Florida and had three tickets within a month. Did we change our driving habits? No.

Heck, here in Florida they still lock people up for Pot....big time. They'll even lock up a pain patient from another state with a Medical Card (since it's not a florida card)...

As far as children, I hear many people here lamenting the fact that our reproduction rate has gone lower and lower. Personally I am very glad we had our first two when we were very young (didn't have much money....that's for sure). A young person is much more capable of juggling more balls in the air, especially kids and work. The idea of waiting until one has a certain amount of money in the bank before reproducing is not something I subscribe to.

I'd council the middle ground on that one. Make sure you have a partner or family that will/can help and be realistic about what it takes to raise a child. I wish they would teach more of this in public schools. I'll write the script.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:43 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Walmart is a sham... if the consumer thinks they save $500 a year... then it means we as citizens, suffer $5000 or more in deteriorate cities, estimated business devastation, losses of American Base Revenue from Production- by the influx of imports, which means less jobs and less money to maintain our infrastructure... .
LOL. We were gonna import with or w/o Wal Mart. The Uniform Shipping Container made that a reality

Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
6. Develope a good work ethics and hold on to your job
I can't hardly believe some folks believe this! Qualifies as one of the dumbest posts of the year on CD!
1, What about the folks that really are on the low end of the intelligence scale?
2, What about the folks born into a dysfunctional family, one that offers zero support to their kids for what ever reason.
3, What about those that are saddled with a mental illness, the percentages will surprise you.
4, Number 2 is ridiculous, sometimes poor folks have to eat!
5, Number 5, assuming you have the intelligence to do so!
6, What about the folks that saw their livelihood disappear, the factory they worked at closed, there was nothing else in the area available and not enough resources for them to move?

Old 01-01-2019, 05:52 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
LOL. We were gonna import with or w/o Wal Mart. The Uniform Shipping Container made that a reality
Correction
Corporate Lobbyist donating millions to politicians made it possible.

It is funny how the right is so against Communism, but then have no problem supporting them if there is money to be made.

Just like they are most vocal against Islam and yet support the home of Islam when there is money to be made.

They claim Hitler was a leftist and yet the Big Corporations along with the Bush Family helped bring Hitler to power.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
I love how folks who are not poor -- and I am guessing you are not, lifeexplorer, love to give advice about things they have not experienced.

1.) OK, sure. Try telling that to an 18 year old kid.

2.) Seems simple enough, especially when your own means are adequate enough. Some people have a tough month and have to put some groceries on credit because they don't want to ask for food from a charity or friends

3.) Marriage takes two people to agree to it. Divorce does not.

4.) Again, sounds nice in principle. Some folks find they are expecting unexpected children.

5.) Again, nice in principle. But there are often valid reasons why folks cannot finish high school or go to college. By the way, with a lot of folks, myself included, tech school is a much better option than college.

6.) My work ethic is fine. I was good at it and won awards for it. But I still got laid off twice because I was the newest hire both time. Then there was my aforementioned medical scare that caused me to have to quit my job.

Again, it's easy to sit at a keyboard or on your phone and give great life advice like "Do this and you'll never be poor." It's also bull crap.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
This would greatly aid everyone's chances, and are easy to do.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This would greatly aid everyone's chances, and are easy to do.
Right up until an unforeseen medical event occurs that is NOT covered by your insurance program.

Right up until you have that car or workplace accident and become disabled with four mouths to feed.

Right up until you're born into some rural backwater that still doesn't have running water and you're the one responsible to feed the family including grandparents.

Life circumstances are not all easily planned for and can often be patterned before you're out of the womb.

"Bootstrappers" are often those who have never had to wear boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies