Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I've lived in the real world and know this. There are some truly needy people in society, but it's a very small number, maybe 5%. The rest are just lazy or stupid. You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who turn down opportunities for higher paying jobs because "I don't want to work longer hours" or "It's not located in a trendy city."

Let me give an example. I know someone who works 2 part-time minimum-wage jobs and is a Bernie Sanders supporter. His mom told me that 1 of his jobs recently offered him a promotion to be a salaried manager. He turned it down because he is afraid that he might have to work longer shifts if he has a full-time job. Now of course he'll vote Bernie Sanders and complain that we all need to redistribute wealth to him because there are no good jobs available.

By the way, did you know that having a car loan is a choice? Most poor people don't know that.
Unless you can demonstrate that there are job openings for those 95% that put them as being not "poor"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Being poor in America is a choice, 95% of the time
Being anything... anywhere... is likely the result of factors beyond our control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_Uyi9bNS4

Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The US poverty rate is 13.5%. That's about 44 million.
AND poverty is relative. Most of the “poor” in the US own smart phones and are over-weight. “Poor” middle Americans own land, businesses, cars at rates higher than middle class people in large metros on the coasts. Almost no where else in the world will you find “poor” people that own Trucks and acres of land.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I've lived in the real world and know this. There are some truly needy people in society, but it's a very small number, maybe 5%. The rest are just lazy or stupid. You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who turn down opportunities for higher paying jobs because "I don't want to work longer hours" or "It's not located in a trendy city."

Let me give an example. I know someone who works 2 part-time minimum-wage jobs and is a Bernie Sanders supporter. His mom told me that 1 of his jobs recently offered him a promotion to be a salaried manager. He turned it down because he is afraid that he might have to work longer shifts if he has a full-time job. Now of course he'll vote Bernie Sanders and complain that we all need to redistribute wealth to him because there are no good jobs available.

By the way, did you know that having a car loan is a choice? Most poor people don't know that.
Lol...the sad thing is that folks are gonna bother arguing with you over this nonsense you posted. SMH

Old 12-30-2018, 05:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Numbers may not be correct in OP, but anyone who believes that we don’t have “lazy”, (yet quite cunning) social welfare program abusers among us, lives in a Lala land.

I think this probably be quite a big chunk in those who choose to live in poverty.
And we breath air also....

Noting that people differ in makeup, ambition and other ways is not really a "thing". It is, again, stating the obvious.

Making it political...what you are effectively saying is that all those poor folks in WV and KY...that it's their fault. It's their fault Wall Street and London conned their ancestors out of ALL the timber and mineral rights. It's their fault the state pols were in the pockets of those corporations and allowed them to make off with the resources...and give nothing back to the state????

The only 1/2 truth here is that it IS their fault for electing Trump when Hillary had a clear plan to "give back" and do job training and new industries for these places.

But I do not think the people in WV or KY or such places are naturally lazier than any others. They may at this point be worn down to hopelessness and booze and opiate addiction.

I don't think Native Americans are naturally lazy either. But perhaps being shoved onto a reservation and having their birthright (lands) stolen and forced onto welfare...after generations...has dampened their spirits.

Point is, the world is a much more complex place than "lazy people aren't rich". Many lazy people ARE rich because they figured out how to get the most with the least amount of sweat.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Extreme poverty has been eradicated in the US for a long time and is being eradicated around the world at rates no one ever though possible thanks to capitalism.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Extreme poverty has been eradicated in the US for a long time and is being eradicated around the world at rates no one ever though possible thanks to capitalism.
LMAO...maybe you should drive a few miles away from your domicile. Extreme poverty is that close to you and it ain’t being eradicated at all.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:

Your real world doesn't seem to be like mine. I have been on the streets, I have had 6 figure jobs.
I have chronic illnesses that prevent me from holding any job. Day to day is a struggle and your words hurt. Bringing politics into it doesn't make sense.

Poor people are no different than you except maybe they have compassion for their fellows.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:

I agree. Being a loser is mostly a choice. It seems so obvious to the people who are "not losers" (notice I didn't say "winners"...that would be a little presumptuous.)

As you say there are genuine hard luck cases out there that need help, but then mostly there are the lazy, the unmotivated, the apathetic, the brainwashed who cant think for themselves, and the ones who never learn their lesson. That's a lot of people.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:36 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...maybe you should drive a few miles away from your domicile. Extreme poverty is that close to you and it ain’t being eradicated at all.
Poverty is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies