Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2019, 05:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I've lived in the real world and know this. There are some truly needy people in society, but it's a very small number, maybe 5%. The rest are just lazy or stupid. You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who turn down opportunities for higher paying jobs because "I don't want to work longer hours" or "It's not located in a trendy city."

Let me give an example. I know someone who works 2 part-time minimum-wage jobs and is a Bernie Sanders supporter. His mom told me that 1 of his jobs recently offered him a promotion to be a salaried manager. He turned it down because he is afraid that he might have to work longer shifts if he has a full-time job. Now of course he'll vote Bernie Sanders and complain that we all need to redistribute wealth to him because there are no good jobs available.

By the way, did you know that having a car loan is a choice? Most poor people don't know that.
Try actually being poor and see how much corporations ********* over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...or-in-america/

Quote:
It has never been easy to be poor in America, but decisions made in company boardrooms about seemingly modest financial matters — about fees, fines, interest rates, minimum balances — make life far harder than it has to be for low-income families. This week, Bank of America announced its free, no-minimum-balance checking account, popular with many low-income customers, will require a $1,500 minimum daily balance or $250 in direct monthly deposit (totaling $3,000 per year). If customers fall below that threshold, they will be forced to pay a monthly fee.
Quote:
Need to buy a car? You may only be able to get financing from a “buy here, pay here” car dealership that charges exorbitant interest rates (think 25 percent and up). If you save to buy from the dealership in cash, you may not be able to. “They wanted $1,900 for that car … and wouldn’t take cash for any of their vehicles,” said one low-income customer in Howard Karger’s book “Shortchanged: Life and Debt in the Fringe Economy.” “They wanted us to put $1,000 down and pay $89 a week for two years” — which amounted to more than $10,000 for a $1,900 car.
Quote:
If your employer limits your work hours to keep you at “part-time status,” your earnings will be limited even if you were eager to work more. You lose pay every time you or your child get sick, because there is no “working from home” in almost any line of low-wage work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
How do you think that applies to the case of the people who make it into the middle class after growing up in a family entrenched in generational poverty?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post56749911

Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
If only some people would stop being bent on expecting people that just don't have what it takes to have what it takes. Give up already. They won't reach the top or anywhere near what you want because they don't really want what you want.

Plus, some folks are so contradicting.

Just recently, a guy was excited over visiting a wildlife park, but then when asked if he'd want to go on a safari in Africa, he said, "No. I wouldn't want to be an animal on display for people going by looking at me." In other words, all's good as long as you have it your way.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, it is true. I already posted Pew's Food Stamps research. Here's more:
Food Stamp benefits over one's entire adult lifetime. And it confirms the Maxwell Poll's reported stats.
Give me a break, you had to dig up some crap from Tino Sanandaji who uses data from 2004 to make his point

Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In NJ they would give Illegal families money to relocate. They would be given a few thousand dollars per family to drive to another state and rent a home . It was common. Also if they could not speak the language they would go to the welfare department and ask for welfare because of a language barrier.

It has also been in the news how the illegals are flown into different areas of the United States from the border cities. When they have an overflow , they fly them out to other cities.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homelan...ida-san-diego/
DHS relocating migrants has nothing to do with your claim about states "paying illegals" to leave the state, and this thing about New Jersey, is that a secret that only a few special people know about or what? I spent quite a while trying to find confirmation of that and came up with nothing.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I will concede that poverty is a choice if the right will concede that losing your job in a changing economy is a choice.

Trump promised to bring back jobs, but how does that differ form a Dem promising more welfare? Those jobs Trump brings back mean more expensive products for all of us to buy since foreign labor is cheaper. So I am subsidizing that job that gets brought back, just like you are subsidizing some poor person's welfare check.

The guy who lost his job to off-shoring had to have seen it coming, so take action and don't depend on the government to fix it for you. That is the same message that many people want to give poor people - pull yourself up and don't expect the government to fix your life for you.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:15 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about someones name on a forum, it's not about you, and it's not about what you made up. It's about the truth. That poster isn't the one trolling here.

Finish High School , work a full time job, and wait until you are 21 to get married and have kids and one will have a 75% chance of being middle class or higher and less than a 3% chance of being permanently poor.
I wasn't allowed to finish high school. I missed my senior year. I still ended up with a diploma though. I have never been allowed to even have a part time job for keeps (just hire me to fire me after seeing how sick I can get). I was forced by the church and my parents to marry my rapist when I was a child so I didn't even have the choice to wait for any of that. When I was in high school I was on the honor roll and played sports any chance I got. I wanted to go to college and play sports, but the adults in my life made the choices for me. I had no rights. By the time I escaped my rapist's home I had one baby, so unless I gave up my baby to a rapist I was not going to ever be able to move away and do anything I wanted to do with my life. I sure never wanted to get married when I was a child. To me that was for old people to do. The adults in power over my life made the choices for me and then I have to live my life being blamed for them.

I literally did everything humanly possible to be employed, but I was never allowed to have it. Eventually, a person has to accept that he/she is too worthless for even minimum wage as told so many times and proven by reality. I went to college and graduated with honors and employers still rejected me anyway. What did I get for my efforts? Not a thing. I was a very obedient child, and I was punished for it with my future. Had I kept my mouth shut about being raped then I wouldn't have been married off to that thing, but I had been taught in sex education class in school to tell so I did. The biggest mistakes I made as a child was being obedient to the adults in my life and trying so hard to obey the Bible, but I had been taught to be that way since I was little so it was really like programming. I didn't even question it. I was taught to obey without question. If I ever did question something when I was little I was beat for it, so I learned not to question things. I never had the power to do things with my life when it mattered and then it was too late to matter. Those with money who run businesses have the power to decide who is employed. If they reject you and you don't have the means and good health to run your own business then you will be unemployed.

Because of my childhood upbringing, I have always been labeled as "strange" and later on said to not be a proper "fit" for anything after "fit" became the new business buzzword. I wasn't even allowed to have friends growing up. And if I displayed emotion I was beat for that too. If I even smiled, I was beat for it because I just had to be "up to something" in order to be smiling. I tried to make friends as an adult, and people tend to treat me like I am a freak and leave or they pretend to be friendly just to back stab me later. Just the way people really are. I have never had a true friend, and I have accepted that it won't ever happen. I used to write down my former teachers for personal references on applications, but they're dead. I did it to make the form complete really since they never liked me when I was in school. I can't even fully fill out a job application now because I no longer have anyone to put in the personal references section. My applications now go into the trash after I turn them in and I haven't been employed in ten years. I never chose to be unemployed. Those with the power to decide that decided not to employ me. All I had the power to do was fill out the applications to the best of my ability and accept any offers given to me afterwards. I do not have the power to force an employer to employ me.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I wasn't allowed to finish high school. I missed my senior year. I still ended up with a diploma though. I have never been allowed to even have a part time job for keeps (just hire me to fire me after seeing how sick I can get). I was forced by the church and my parents to marry my rapist when I was a child so I didn't even have the choice to wait for any of that. When I was in high school I was on the honor roll and played sports any chance I got. I wanted to go to college and play sports, but the adults in my life made the choices for me. I had no rights. By the time I escaped my rapist's home I had one baby, so unless I gave up my baby to a rapist I was not going to ever be able to move away and do anything I wanted to do with my life. I sure never wanted to get married when I was a child. To me that was for old people to do. The adults in power over my life made the choices for me and then I have to live my life being blamed for them.

I literally did everything humanly possible to be employed, but I was never allowed to have it. Eventually, a person has to accept that he/she is too worthless for even minimum wage as told so many times and proven by reality. I went to college and graduated with honors and employers still rejected me anyway. What did I get for my efforts? Not a thing. I was a very obedient child, and I was punished for it with my future. Had I kept my mouth shut about being raped then I wouldn't have been married off to that thing, but I had been taught in sex education class in school to tell so I did. The biggest mistakes I made as a child was being obedient to the adults in my life and trying so hard to obey the Bible, but I had been taught to be that way since I was little so it was really like programming. I didn't even question it. I was taught to obey without question. If I ever did question something when I was little I was beat for it, so I learned not to question things. I never had the power to do things with my life when it mattered and then it was too late to matter. Those with money who run businesses have the power to decide who is employed. If they reject you and you don't have the means and good health to run your own business then you will be unemployed.

Because of my childhood upbringing, I have always been labeled as "strange" and later on said to not be a proper "fit" for anything after "fit" became the new business buzzword. I wasn't even allowed to have friends growing up. And if I displayed emotion I was beat for that too. If I even smiled, I was beat for it because I just had to be "up to something" in order to be smiling. I tried to make friends as an adult, and people tend to treat me like I am a freak and leave or they pretend to be friendly just to back stab me later. Just the way people really are. I have never had a true friend, and I have accepted that it won't ever happen. I used to write down my former teachers for personal references on applications, but they're dead. I did it to make the form complete really since they never liked me when I was in school. I can't even fully fill out a job application now because I no longer have anyone to put in the personal references section. My applications now go into the trash after I turn them in and I haven't been employed in ten years. I never chose to be unemployed. Those with the power to decide that decided not to employ me. All I had the power to do was fill out the applications to the best of my ability and accept any offers given to me afterwards. I do not have the power to force an employer to employ me.
It's not about you, it's about the norm. Plus I don't believe your story.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Try actually being poor and see how much corporations ********* over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...or-in-america/
"If you save to buy from the dealership in cash, you may not be able to. “They wanted $1,900 for that car … and wouldn’t take cash for any of their vehicles,” said one low-income customer in Howard Karger’s book “Shortchanged: Life and Debt in the Fringe Economy.”

hahahahaha You actually fell for this? As if a dealership doesn't want to sell cars. And even if this absurd story is true, was that the only car dealership within hundreds of miles? Silly to give that story any credibility.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Exactly.
In 1970, 20% of the jobs in the market paid minimum wage. In 2019, 40% of the jobs in the market paid minimum wage. Who is going to work the 40% of the jobs in the nation?
Where in the world did you get your numbers???? Those on minimum wage are a miniscule number

"In 2018, 81.9 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.5 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 434,000 workers earned
exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 1.7 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.1 percent of all hourly paid workers.

The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in 2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979, when data were first collected on a regular basis."

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2017/home.htm

The 2.1% is just hourly workers. That small number goes down more when you add in non hourly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies