Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:31 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The problem with the second amendment is that it allows idiots access to weapons that can kill.

I hope you came up with this mind-numbing statement as a consequence of New Years eve intoxication. Otherwise, it's no wonder that this country's doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I hope you came up with this mind-numbing statement as a consequence of New Years eve intoxication. Otherwise, it's no wonder that this country's doomed.
They are just easily brainwashed/ conditioned.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yes I have, and I've already explained the two instances here.
I believe you. I went to NJIT in Newark. One time I got chased to the Board St station by four guys. Luckily there was a cop station there.

NJIT was border by Central High and mugging by the high schoolers of the college students was a not infrequent occurrence.

Newark is a rough town.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I believe you. I went to NJIT in Newark. One time I got chased to the Board St station by four guys. Luckily there was a cop station there.

NJIT was border by Central High and mugging by the high schoolers of the college students was a not infrequent occurrence.

Newark is a rough town.
I was going to Rutgers-Newark when I got mugged. I was trying to save money on parking by not parking in the university garage, and instead parked on the streets for free around the housing projects to the north of I-280 (which, needless to say, turned out to be a terrible idea). The specific spot I got mugged at was right here, just before I was about to walk beneath the freeway. I didn't have anything on me they were interested in, so one of the guys whacked me across the jaw and then ran off. I didn't even bother reporting it to the police.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I was going to Rutgers-Newark when I got mugged. I was trying to save money on parking by not parking in the university garage, and instead parked on the streets for free around the housing projects to the north of I-280 (which, needless to say, turned out to be a terrible idea). The specific spot I got mugged at was right here, just before I was about to walk beneath the freeway. I didn't have anything on me they were interested in, so one of the guys whacked me across the jaw and then ran off. I didn't even bother reporting it to the police.
My sister got her nursing degree from Rutgers-Newark. Clinton St was also a bad place. Lots of car jackings.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:42 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
That sucks. Glad you were not seriously injured. Sometimes they hurt you, or worse, just for the "fun" of it.

A friend of mine is an attorney, and I've sat in on some sentencing hearings of his. One time a man was being sentenced for rape and murder. He car jacked a younger couple, killed the husband, and took the car and the wife for a joy ride. He raped her multiple times before she was able to escape. I am sure he would have killed her if she hadn't. The perpetrator got a Life Sentence. These scenarios are not as uncommon as one may think.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:57 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
With our largely unregulated gun laws and the adults who are ignorant, irresponsible and criminally foolish with no concept of firearms safety stuff like this is bound to happen.
unregulated? We have about 22,000 gun laws. You mean UNENFORCED.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:32 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Whether someone wants to argue gun control or not, what happened with a five year old getting ahold of the weapon and firing it represents inexcusable irresponsibility on the part of the owner of the weapon.

First off, let's hope and pray the child survives this and makes a full recovery which is Priority #1 at this point.

Beyond that, the gun owner(s), or the person(s) who acted negligent should be held accountable and not just given a slap on the wrist.

And this is just one more example of how having guns anywhere, everywhere, and with anyone doesn't solve problems and in fact can cause many more problems that it solves. This is a prime example of what happens when you have so many guns in the hand of so many people (including "law abiding" citizens). Maybe they're otherwise okay people, not professional bank robbers or gang members, and don't have a nefarious intention in the forefront of their mind. But their lack of competence and/or nonchalant attitude about guns makes means the biggest threat to themselves is often..themselves. I know someone will probably say "I've had my arsenal of 300 weapons in the basement for 40 years and never had a mishap." Well, just because nothing bad has happened to you or a loved one because of this doesn't mean it won't to your gun owning neighbor. Even if you have the right to do something, that doesn't mean that (1) you don't have a responsibility with that right; and (2) negative consequences won't still happen because you chose to exercise that right. And when they do, you'll have to be accountable for those. For many people who own firearms (and I'm including some "law abiding" citizens in here as well), they would be doing themselves and the world around them a big favor if they didn't.

The Accessibility of Firearms and Risk for Suicide and Homicide Victimization Among Household MembersA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians

Last edited by Jowel; 01-01-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This article disputes that number. It states that the vast majority are local laws that are super-ceded by states laws making them irrelevant. Basically old laws that do not get enforced because the state law takes precedent. A completely different story.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...s-20000-number

Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Well evidently we don't have enough if fools like this can still get their hands on a gun. Too many guns in the hands of people that have no business owning one, we see this p[layed out too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies