Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 03:17 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Why do Dems and RINOs give ten times that amount in foreign aid that disappears (probably into their own bank accounts)?

Neon55 is very naive or new to politics. Probably voted for Bernie
Foreign aid has strings attached and it`s a way of us buying friends. Some people consider it to be a Christian thing.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Congress has authorized money for border security for decades. Some areas like San Diego had a barrier or wall built years ago. Other areas have security cameras and other electronic surveillance devices as well as border guards.

This latest round of budget talks included a bill with another $1.3 billion for border security that has support from both Democrats and Republicans. Trump said he was for it before he was against it (after listening to his Faux News "advisors"). He is demanding over $5 billion for a campaign promise that once included the absurd addendum of Mexico footing the bill, and has chosen to shut down the government to make his point.

So, it is definitely wrong to say that Democrats don't care about border security. They are more than willing to allocate money/resources to ensure our security but also want to address the immigration issue and have humane policies towards those seeking asylum in this country.

Trump has painted himself into a corner but this is also a time when he will be the most dangerous -- like any cornered rat. He is getting desperate to find a way out of this situation that will save face but no one seems willing to help him. He has burned a lot of bridges up to this point in his presidency and has turned on most of his cabinet members before throwing them under the bus.

What will his next stunt include?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 01-09-2019 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: grammatical corrections

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Why didn't the Republicans fund Trumps wall?
The only thing that makes sense to me is it is because the Republicans either do not want the wall or do not want to pay for it. Instead, they waited until it was basically too late in those two years to get anything done. There's a reason for that.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Sums it up.

https://twitter.com/StevenBeschloss/...11917683445760

Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind, it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind swept, God blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace - a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors, and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here.

That's how I saw it, and see it still. How Stands the City?
President Reagan, in his farewell address to the American people in January, 1988

Old 01-09-2019, 04:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The incentive is that whatever government functions that were shut down get reactivated. Perhaps they really are unnecessary.

They either have to deal with the President or offer something to enough Republicans to override any Presidential veto just as the system was designed

You can't get to a Presidential veto with the obstructionist Senate leader blocking a vote on a bill that would be vetoed.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon55 View Post
The Republicans controlled the government for 2 years all branches of government through Reconciliation why didn't they fund Trumps vanity wall?

The Dems offered to give Donnie 25 billion in exchange for extending the Dreamer program so what gives? What incentive do Democrats have to fund Donnies Vanity wall if the Republicans refused to do so?
Rinos/Neocons.
There's a difference between republicans/conservatives and those that are merely republican in name only. Hence Rino.

There was a go fund me campaign to fund building the wall.
.gov normally has no issue taking free money.
In this instance, .gov said Nope, we can't take your money to do what you want us to do with it.
Strange, government works for us. Not the other way around.

You'll learn the difference in time Young Padawan.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need 60 votes in the Senate to fund the wall. Republicans never had 60 seats in the senate.
But it seems Trump didn't put pressure on the Democrats until December of 2018. Why didn't they start the process in January 2017?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why didn't the Republicans in Congress? Because they're just as corrupt and perverse and the Democrats. Both parties are elitists pricks who want cheaper maid service and yard work crews. They are owned by companies who want to pay workers less money. Illegal immigration is in the best interests of all of them, but none of them would dare admit to it. Dems want more votes and a slave labor working class. Republicans also want a slave labor working class.

Regular ole Americans are trying to fund the thing: https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall I expect that the Democrats will find a way to not let it happen though.
It can't be done that way. Whatever is collected can be donated, but not with an earmark. It would go into the general fund, and Congress would spend it as they see fit.

If the people who donated were smart enough to check the law before they sent the Paypal, they could have saved themselves a lot of money.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The only thing that makes sense to me is it is because the Republicans either do not want the wall or do not want to pay for it. Instead, they waited until it was basically too late in those two years to get anything done. There's a reason for that.
Ding, ding, ding.

There are a few die hard Trump supporters that support the wall. The others don't care or don't support it.

It isn't just Democrats.

But it doesn't look good for this administration to own that their are those in their own party that don't support this mandate....so the Democrats are the big bad evil monsters...and now the Democrats hold the power in the House.

I think Trump sees this as a win win for him. If the Dems compromise and he gets some kind of a barrier -- he's a great negotiator. If he is unsuccessful and no barrier is ever built, the Democrats are against all border security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies