Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Oh come on. You know that's not how it works when you're a big time builder. You just walk in and demand money for a big beautiful building, at a TBD location on property you don't own, with no plans on height or building materials, and the bank just hands you money.
It's so odd that no one seems to have any answers.

Surely, this man and his lawyers would have thought all of this through prior to asking for donations.

Wouldn't they?

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Those who claim that they can't find Americans to take their jobs aren't being truthful. Illegals have depressed wages for Americans. Not only that, safety conditions on the job worsen, as well as benefits. For example, growing up I had a friend whose father worked in construction. We had rough winters so construction work tended to come to a halt. Her father went without work in the winter. However, when he was working the rest of the year, he made good money---enough to put some away so they easily got through the winter. Now, illegals have severely depressed wages.

We had to do some remodeling to our house before we put it on the market. The construction supervisor was Hispanic-American and fully bilingual. He was telling us that he and his wife were in the process of buying a new townhouse. Every time, he would visit the construction site, he kept finding shoddy work. Plus he noticed most of the workers were illegals. The guy putting up the drywall told him he was paid 10 cents for every sheet of drywall he hung. The guy who painted the home interiors told him he was paid $100 per every 3 houses he painted. Our construction supervisor asked both these men why did they put up with such conditions. One of them told him. If I quit this job, there are a dozen people waiting to take it. In other words, when illegals are a dime a dozen, wages get severely depressed.

The interesting thing is the same builder that was building those shoddy townhouses was the same builder who built our house 20 years ago. Back then, the workers were Americans who lived in WV and would take their campers and live in campgrounds for the season. These guys did great work. The guy who put up the siding on the houses would tell the then supervisor every time he came across a problem while doing the siding. When I told our construction supervisor this, he was shocked. He was surprised that the same builder who built our house was the one building his.

Many of the immigrants who live in overcrowded housing or illegal basement apartments always make the excuse that it's all they can afford near their jobs. Yet we have Americans who endure 30 or 40 mile commutes because they couldn't find proper housing near their jobs. Americans know better than to live in flophouses. I can just imagine how the person who makes such a daily commute must feel when there is a flophouse/illegal apartment on his street.

Basically, if the only way you can live in a particular neighborhood is if you live in a flophouse with 10 or more people, then it means that neighborhood is out of your reach. It would be if I were to say that I want an apartment that overlooks Central Park, only to discover that I would have to move 10 other people in there in order to pay the rent. That's a sure sign that I couldn't afford to live there. Not to mention that no decent landlord would put up with that behavior.

When jurisdictions try to change the laws in order to close down flophouses, bleeding hearts start screaming "racism!" Then what laws that do get passed have no teeth in them. For example, LoCo passed a law that said unrelated people can't live in flophouses. So the scofflaws quickly learned that when a flophouse got reported, all they had to say was everybody who lived in the house was related. Thus, it was rare that any flophouses got shut down.
You write much as if you have personal experience and knowledge about all you project as nothing but truth, but I have to wonder how much is opinion based on preconceived notions and bias and how much is based on actual truth.

For example, you write, "Those who claim that they can't find Americans to take their jobs aren't being truthful."

I have many times commented before that I used to own an employment agency that put thousands of minimum wage workers into jobs that mostly only Hispanic Americans would even apply for. A big problem for me was competing with even bigger employment agencies that had no problem hiring illegal workers, because they couldn't get others to take those jobs, just like my company struggled mightily to find. That minimum wage, BTW, was higher than in most parts of the country!

And what do you have to say about my first hand experience and countless other similar testimonials from business owners in so many industries? From construction to farming to restaurants to meat packing?

We aren't being truthful?

Do think again, and while you're at it, do you or any other pro-Trump wall folks ever wonder why the states that actually border Mexico have state governments and/or so many elected representatives who are not at all similarly obsessed with a wall like Trump and his supporters are? Not so inclined at all? How do you explain that, exactly, when these states have such high Hispanic Americans in them already, with family members also coming to work here with work visas. They too all liars or whatever other insulting description helps you tune out what you don't want to hear or accept?

Border security, sure. Sensible immigration policy, of course, but you would think from comments like yours, these states right at the border would be war zones with 3rd-world like problems complete with murderers and rapists ruling the streets! Slums and drugs at every turn! Not that these aren't problems everywhere (with our without illegal immigrants), but again...

State/percent Hispanic
New Mexico/48.8%
Texas/39.4%
California/39.1%
Arizona/31.4%

Why aren't these states in economic shambles? Why aren't these states where most of Trump's supporters can be found? Why, in fact, the opposite?

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So what stops drugs coming in from legal ports of entry, or what stops illegals trying to come in through airports? So we build a big dome over the country?
Betcha won't get an answer to that one.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I wonder how much it would cost to build this to look like the wall of Mordoor? (around 400ft tall, 50ft deep)

Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Refreshing and rare indeed!

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html

Sorry, but I can't help but again refer to this other thread that is about just how rare it is we change our mind about anything...

I glanced at that thread but don't have the time to read it all. I disagree that discussion is futile and people don't ever change their minds. It just doesn't happen in an instant. It isn't going to happen in a discussion. It happens over a long period of time. If your goal in a discussion is to prove you are right and make someone change their mind or admit they are wrong, you will fail. If your goal is to plant seeds for thought then you might be able to do that even if you might never know it.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The guy putting up the drywall told him he was paid 10 cents for every sheet of drywall he hung. The guy who painted the home interiors told him he was paid $100 per every 3 houses he painted. Our construction supervisor asked both these men why did they put up with such conditions. One of them told him. If I quit this job, there are a dozen people waiting to take it. In other words, when illegals are a dime a dozen, wages get severely depressed.
I don't buy it, no one is hanging drywall for 10 cents a sheet or painting a house for $3. Someone is playing with your or just plain lying. All they need is a fake ID and SSN and they can get work that pays at least minimum wage so why in the world would they work for a few pennies?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Actually Trump got 62,979,636 votes and if you divide that by 5 Billion , all of his voters would only have to cough up is $79.36 a piece.

What a bargain huh?

Let them pay for it!

Except that the whole wall is projected to cost 25 billion for the whole thing although if it costs that it may be the first time in history a construction project came in at projected cost and not above.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
REPUBLICAN senators begin defying Trump, siding with Democrats to reopen the govt

https://twitter.com/TheRynheart/stat...44919025217541

Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Except that the whole wall is projected to cost 25 billion for the whole thing although if it costs that it may be the first time in history a construction project came in at projected cost and not above.
Is it really $25B though?

Have to remember, in negotiations, the asking party normally always starts with an exaggerated amount (much more than they really need), so they have wiggle room to negotiate down and still get the amount they need.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
REPUBLICAN senators begin defying Trump, siding with Democrats to reopen the govt

https://twitter.com/TheRynheart/stat...44919025217541

wow calling those 3 republicans is like calling Obama white...especially sue Collins , she has voted with the democrats her entire career ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies