Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 01:11 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

America is finally going to get the security and protection that it needs.

No more illegal aliens coming from Mexico.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM

662 posts, read 313,118 times
I still laugh when I think about dumb donald rambling about his wall and saying even if you could get a ladder to get to the top, you'd be in trouble because you couldn't get down, and then he pauses and says "well, maybe a rope."

Yes, even dumb donald figured out how useless his wall would be with a few seconds of thinking about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LbynP8GOo

Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 PM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There is seriously something wrong with your inability to see that Trump is not eloquent and often trips over his words and you have to look at the whole message not parse words and diagram sentences to know what he is saying. The immediately following words were "I said they're going to pay for it. They are"

This is a great example of how liberals characterize clumsy wording as "lies".
It's not really even a good example of anything worth thinking too much about...

Hard to understand all this effort to massage all that Trump says and does into something more reasonable, intelligent or even coherent, and of course that's what "handlers" are for, but to put it simply, the general recognition that you just "can't paint a turd" remains.

There are mountains of well documented statements and tweets from Trump we can all easily consider without a whole lot of need for interpretation skills to see the unprecedented level of falsehoods, exaggerations and half-truths that we've never seen any POTUS provide in such quantity and with gusto!

Most recently we have Trump clearly explaining he would take full responsibility for this government shutdown. Anyone really need that fact to be made more clear or beyond question? Yet..., Trump supporters have no limits to just how far they will bend reality to maintain their distorted sense of reality, Trump's reality!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
30 million illegals walking around was an emergency years ago thats been kicked down the road.love him or hate him, we need this wrapped up finally.

Wait a minute...your concern is with "30 million illegals walking around"? Isn't that shutting the barn door after the cow gets out?

A wall won't fix what's wrong. We need to address policy, enforcement, security, all of that--but the resources are used in better ways.

And what we have here is a situation where one side (one person) is refusing to negotiate. Why shouldn't he negotiate? If he didn't want to, then this should have been done when the GOP controlled both the House & Senate. It's absolutely ridiculous to insist on something without any concessions to reality.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
I'm watching Trump live in TX now on the White House youtube channel.

Very compelling stories from residents, local officials and Border Patrol. One idea floated was to give money to TX and they'd build their own barrier for less money. El Paso mayor(?) said illegals flooding in have stopped since they got their barrier and don't believe opposition media. A rancher said some ranchers by the river were worried about losing some of their acreage to eminent domain and Trump said he'd look into modifying it.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:22 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is an emergency if the Dems won't even agree that we have a problem at the border.
Many people are arguing the point that if you don't support Trump's barrierwallfenceslats. then you don't support border security. This is, obvious to most thinking people, an asinine prospect. Trump himself said one of the reasons he may go that route is because the Democrats won't agree to his proposal. Not getting your way is no reason to declare a national emergency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It'll be a knockout blow, with Schumer and Pelosi stunned at their loss.
Well, that's one way to look at it.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I know it's hard for you liberals to grasp, but there are people that value American lives over your precious illegal migrants.

As long as Americans are getting killed, assaulted, raped, and there is heroin coming here, I would say that qualifies as an emergency.

Most of the problems stem from the left refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem at all and to them it's just a game of politics. If you think the right is gullible, then that would make the left stone cold blind.

Sorry, but nope. All of those problems you site? A wall isn't going to fix that. We need to fix it, too, so that's why the wall--as it is proposed--is being denied. There are things that need to happen that the wall doesn't address. It's too much money for a thing that too many people can point to major flaws in. There are security concerns--there's no wall that can't be breached by going through, over, under, there isn't enough allocated to fix personnel issues. There are environmental concerns--if the wall is too much of a barrier, it will have an impact on wildlife & flooding. There are funding concerns--the amount he's asking for doesn't seem adequate to built what he says he wants built. So, Trump must address the concerns that actual citizens have about this. That's what he was supposed to be able to do, right? Negotiate to find a solution. There's a book out there--The Art of the Deal--maybe someone should buy it for him.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'm watching Trump live in TX now on the White House youtube channel.

Very compelling stories from residents, local officials and Border Patrol. One idea floated was to give money to TX and they'd build their own barrier for less money. El Paso mayor(?) said illegals flooding in have stopped since they got their barrier and don't believe opposition media.
I'm not on the border and, frankly, don't have strong personal reactions to fencing. No way do I want floods of people coming across. The San Diego fencing was among the earliest (predating the 2006 Act) and without a doubt that is both effective and needed. The same may well be true for El Paso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A rancher said some ranchers by the river were worried about losing some of their acreage to eminent domain and Trump said he'd look into modifying it.
Well and good, although it strikes me he's a bit late. For him to finally pay attention, we need to have this stand-off with the Democrats and shut down the government? This appears to be a major issue, and one of the reasons why some of the fencing that was built after 2006 was so ineffective. You got fences that start and stop without reason, with the lawsuits ongoing from a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We don't have many thousands of miles of border to the south of us. Our southern border is less that 2,000 miles. Why wouldn't a good barrier help to stem the flow of drugs? It would for those that are not coming through a legal port of entry. Geesh!

My main concern is the number of illegals coming here raping our country economically. They make up the largest number of illegals entering our country.
A concrete barrier for the entire 2,000 miles. Are we back to THAT? Beyond the fact that many Americans who live on the border are adamantly opposed ... that strikes me as a bloody awful idea. You must have seen aerial photos.

Portions of the border are open country ... seemingly empty, dotted only with cacti. Other sections are drop-dead gorgeous, with the national park etc. There is the private land. The border down the center of the Rio Grande, yes? Are we to "give" the water to Mexico with a wall on the US side? No idea.

Trying to wall it all would be a bit of tragedy - maybe not for you, maybe not for me but certainly for those who live on and use the border. Placing some walls without careful planning would funnel traffic to unwalled segments.

Where illegal immigration is a problem - deal with it, but deal with it effectively. One of the tools can be fencing (certainly). It may well be that only a "minimal" amount of double-walled fencing is required for any upgraded border security plan.

Frankly, I'd planned to listen to Trump's address to the nation the other night wondering if he would present a plan with references to detailed analysis - to address various concerns. I lost track of time to realize that it was 9:20 and I'd missed him. So I guess whatever he said was not THAT. (On the contrary for I saw some blurb that he's all ticked off that his aides "made" him do the address.)

Old 01-10-2019, 01:30 PM

316 posts, read 222,748 times
[quote=Camaro5;54112336]
As long as Americans are getting killed, assaulted, raped, and there is heroin coming here, I would say that qualifies as an emergency.
/QUOTE]

Most assaults and rapes are done by legal Americans, born and bred here. Heroin is coming in through China. Your precious little wall, which cannot in any way shape or form, cover the entire US border, will do absolutely nothing. Instead of a wall, we need better technology and training for our border patrol agents. That is what "the Dems" want, 21st century solutions not bricks and sticks. FYI, most illegals that are here now came over in airplanes. The terrorists involved in 911 came over in a plane. What will Trump want next, a roof over the whole country?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:35 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times
[quote=Miso Blu;54112561]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
/QUOTE]

Most assaults and rapes are done by legal Americans, born and bred here. Heroin is coming in through China. Your precious little wall, which cannot in any way shape or form, cover the entire US border, will do absolutely nothing. Instead of a wall, we need better technology and training for our border patrol agents. That is what "the Dems" want, 21st century solutions not bricks and sticks. FYI, most illegals that are here now came over in airplanes. The terrorists involved in 911 came over in a plane. What will Trump want next, a roof over the whole country?
Not to mention illegal crossings of the northern border are up threefold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies