Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 01:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,624,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Crocs or gators are fine but piranha are not native so I would scratch them and replace with water moccasins.
Only in the movies so these things hurt or stop anyone.

100's of gators here on the banks of the creeks and lakes and there is a concession to rent Kayaks and canoes.....run by the state (FL), so if they expose thousands of tourists to them they can't be too bad.

I wonder if I am going to have to school Wall people on technology? There is new tech that can see virtually anyone and their movements and track it all 100%. It can be done from light planes and there are companies that are ready to do it. The founder was an instructor at War College and in Iraq - he knows what he is doing:
https://www.pss-1.com/hawkeye-ii

That is in addition to drones and satellites. It wouldn't cost much to use a special geo-stationary low orbit bird with some good cameras on it.

These technologies could be implemented next week. But it won't happen.

What I think people are getting wrong is that it is not the movement of people that is the problem. It is the "Drug" that the employers are giving them - WORK and MONEY. Having those employers flourishing in Texas and Florida certainly doesn't help.

If I was in their position I'd hop the border also. I'd want work. Can't blame people for wanting to be productive and earn a living. But you can blame employers for being hypocritical and making certain their states don't e-verify.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,690,219 times
What will happen, if we build that steel fence, is that the scrappers will be chopping pieces out of it and selling them at the local scrap yard.

The people Trump is trying to keep out are very smart and resourceful. They probably have 20 ways to defeat any wall or fence already figured out.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM

26,548 posts, read 14,387,745 times
i loved this line:

“During the campaign, I would say Mexico’s going to pay for it. Obviously, I never said this,..."

he's simultaneously claiming he did/didn't say something!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM

25,423 posts, read 9,741,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So when Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall, what he meant was that Mexico would not pay for the wall?
Yes. You know, alternative facts and such.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,031,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So when Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall, what he meant was that Mexico would not pay for the wall?

I think Giuliani said something to the effect that the truth isn't always the truth, or similar. Basically, he was saying that people lie, but some people think it is the truth, even though it is truly a lie.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,060,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I agree with that!

OP: the article didn't say how long it took to break through, at least I didn't see it.

I can tell they used an acetylene cutting torch which is hardly an "ordinary tool". How long did it take for them to cut through?

If people were gathered at the wall using cutting torches they would be foiled quickly.

Solution: any flotation device would render the moat a bust. Besides, we can't spare the water.

Although, maybe a dry moat filled with razor wire. No, that could be crossed with two sheets of plywood.
Then I guess we're back to land mines.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:20 PM

46,879 posts, read 25,845,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Donald Trump lied. He lies a lot.

His base doesn't care.
I've come to believe it's a feature, not a bug. Repeating lies is how Trump followers pledge their allegiance. Being willing to stand up and say something demonstrably untrue, because Trump said so - that is some serious virtue signaling in that crowd. Kinda like Soviet Party members in the bad old days. Truth is irrelevant, Party Doctrine is everything.

And in Trump's inner circle, anyone not willing to propagate his lies has failed to show loyalty (to Trump - Trump knows of no higher loyalty than that, certainly not to vague ideals like truth) and will be purged.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,588,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
He never meant that Mexico would pay for the wall and of course his supporters will believe that just as they believed that Mexico would pay for the wall.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/trum...gn-pledge.html
He never said Mexico was going to prepay for the wall. Build it and they will pay.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,820,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
He never said Mexico was going to prepay for the wall. Build it and they will pay.
Sure I can see how that is something a fool might believe.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,734,935 times
Does anyone with a brain even really believe the liar in chief on anything anymore? He is not even a good liar because he either can't remember his previous lies and changes his story or he just doesn't care that he lies because he knows his base will follow him blindly and not check anything he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.