Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Look two posts above your own to see just how wrong you are.

But I understand, your answer is "I want a wall because I want a wall." Gotcha

I doubt that's the sentiments of the Border Patrol. You and yours don't want a wall because you don't want a wall. See how that works?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's amusing to see how upset leftists are getting over this government shutdown after they were in full support of Obama shutting down the government over Obamacare - which can also be described as his "personal agenda."

Personally, I don't give a rodent's rectum if the federal government stays shut down. Perhaps the workers will go find jobs that don't depend on taxpayer money.
Who said I was a 'leftist'? Your comment shows the extent of your intelligence 'I don't give a rodent's rectum if the federal government stays shut down.' - yeah, right up there with Trump.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
If you could somehow prove that a wall does indeed stop 60,000 illegals from entering the country and costs 25B, yet more advanced technology is proven to stop 120,000 illegals yet costs only 5B, do you still want a wall?

Obviously, I'd prefer the latter but, in the words of Pelosi, "I reject your facts". Because "catching" them and "stopping" them are not the same thing.

More advanced technology and more agents might allow us to catch more but as I've said before, what good does it do us to catch thousands more if it just means releasing thousands more? Most illegal entrants have learned to ask for asylum, which operates under different laws that allow them to apply no matter how frivolous the claim and protects them from deportation until their cases are heard years later.

Maybe you missed the news articles where we released thousands of migrants Christmas week? And the El Paso mayor claims 25,000 have been released there since October. I haven't fact-checked his story but it is beyond debate that many thousands are being released. Courts have ruled we can't separate families, we can't detain minors for very long, and we can't deport asylum seekers.

Fix the asylum and immigration laws so that getting caught by CBP is an immediate ticket back out of the country and not just a refreshment stop along their journey. Prove that they pass court muster. Ramp up processing so cases don't take months or years to be heard. Then I'll reconsider the need for a wall.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
It's a serious question. I'd like to see someone articulate why a wall is better.

A wall physically presents most of them (not all) from reaching this side of the border where they have "rights" and become protected by our laws and court rulings.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Maybe the right can get educated instead of sticking to slogans.... The wall won't stop drugs which mainly enter legal ports of entry.

In addition, it is well known the wall can be sawed through with simple tools.

Money would be much better spent on drones and personnel.

Considering trump put us $2 trillion in the hole already, we have to be judicious with what we spend on

E-verify won't stop drugs from entering the country, either. Does that mean e-Verify is not worth implementing?

It's well known you can saw through a wall but not as well known how long it will take. Some here have touted how all the prototypes have been breached but no one has been able to show how long it took. The wall will slow down the entry giving agents more time to respond.

Why do you say money would be better spent on drones? Where are your cost-benefit studies to support that?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You have no idea if 2019 is "on pace for 600,000" October and November are within a few thousand of those same months in 2017, a year when there was a total of 310,000 apprehensions. In any case the trend is still on a downward trajectory and the numbers are less than half of what they were between 2000 and 2008. This is not an emergency, there are not tens of thousands of invaders forcing their way into the US, this is nonsense made up by Trump to make you afraid, because that's exactly what petty dictators do...they rule through fear.

You have no idea of what "on pace" means. It's a mathematical fact. (100,000 / 2 months) = (600,000 / 12 months)

As I said, we don't know if that pace will continue, increase, or decrease. We don't know what the final total will be.

You also have no idea of what trend lines mean. There was a trend down starting in 2000 that leveled off in 2011. What happened 20 years ago mean far less than what has happened in recent years.

This is an emergency, notwithstanding your liberal mania that drives you to defend illegals at every opportunity and do everything you can to divert attention to the problem so that solutions are not implemented.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
First things first. When we get wall funding and an immigration bill then the focus can shift to infrastructure and healthcare.
He said he was going to work on healthcare on day 1.

As a candidate, Donald Trump made a slew of “Day One” promises that any president would find daunting.

He declared that repealing and replacing his predecessor’s health care law would be “one of his first acts as president.” He released an 18-point plan for actions that would push forward sweeping ethics reforms and potentially undo scores of regulations. And he promised to fundamentally change the nation’s approach to immigration and begin work on an impenetrable wall along the southern border—all on his first day.
Everything Donald Trump Promised to Do on Day One of Administration: | Fortune

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times

Yes really.

Oh the dhs wants a wall? Who would have thought? Of course a government agency wants $5 billion to sink into a wall. I would too if I were them. Still doesn't mean it'll work just because they want it.

The rest are opinion pieces. But I believe we've already covered that in another discussion.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who said it would stop all border crossings?

However, it's been proven here many times, than the RECENTLY built wall did stop 90% of crossings, since it went up...but those pesky damn people who are actually on the border protecting the border...what the hell do they know?
And it was also recently proven that the walls can be breached with simple tools from a local hardware store. Why do you continue to push for something you know won't work. You've been lied to. Wake up!!!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:39 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Who said I was a 'leftist'? Your comment shows the extent of your intelligence 'I don't give a rodent's rectum if the federal government stays shut down.' - yeah, right up there with Trump.
If you aren't a leftist, you do a fair impersonation of one in the OP. And no, I'm not a Trump supporter - I'm just amused by hypocrisy.

So, the government is shut down. It's happened before, it will happen again. I still have taxes coming out of my paycheck, and not a single thing that I do on a daily basis has been affected. Stores are still open, I still get mail, my elderly neighbors are still getting their Social Security payments. If any of that changes, I might get irritated. Until then, I'll just laugh as the same people who have been promoting a border wall for three decades perform linguistic gymnastics in order to prevent the other side from actually building one while fear mongering to the masses that our bloated fiasco of a government is somehow necessary for everyday life and that Trump calling the Democrats' bluff somehow makes him responsible for their refusal to do their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies