Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 03:33 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They all see their little portions. And their little portions make up the entire length.

And the BP reports back to one person on what they have seen, which gives them the entire picture, not a single sheriff perspective of what he thinks is going the entire length of the border.

Quote:
I didn't say Trump said it would stop immigration. Maybe you should quote me more accurately.
Your quote is below....you said stop, not partially, nothing. You gave an absolute.

Quote:
I have a problem with Trump's rhetoric that somehow a wall is going to stop illegal immigration, since his own government's facts show that the majority of illegal immigrants come here legally, and overstay their visas.
And go back and comprehend what I wrote.....I also said "or who has said that?"

Quote:
In the meantime, it appears the government will be re-opening, people will get paid, and negotiations can proceed. Hopefully, negotiations will yield a long-term deal.

Yes, lets hope.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You seem to have quite the sense of superiority about yourself!

See, I called it a long time ago....
So if 2 people are seeing the same thing...."if the shoe fits."

Old 01-25-2019, 03:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Lol..this OP.

I guess I’m supposed to feel sorry for some Texas rancher (perish the thought) who likely uses a ton of illegal labor in his operation??

Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Well the way I see it is that we have an internal problem with our laws. Walls are breach able and they won't stop someone from coming either over, under, or around. We have border fencing and barriers, every president has built them. Has it stopped people from coming here? No it hasn't. They come for the jobs provided to them by businesses that want cheap labor. They in turn contribute to our economy. Eleven million illegal immigrants contribute an estimated 11.64 billion in state and local taxes, on average 8% of their income. Source The Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy.

Does the wall stop drugs from crossing into our country through the ten ports of entry between Mexico and the USA with millions of un-screened trucks that come through? No it doesn't.

Does a wall stop people from coming here through over stayed visas from all countries? No it doesn't. So we have an internal problem.

What we have on the border now is a humanitarian crisis. Like it or not, our laws dictate that anyone can come here and ask for asylum. Is a wall going to stop that. No it isn't.

Does land seizure through eminent domain hurt American's? Yes it does. Emotional thinkers would like nothing more than to erect a wall across the entire border, thus giving the Rio Grand to the Mexican's and all of those tourist dollars that goes with it.

Build the wall is nothing more than rube rhetoric for emotional thinkers that want to wallow in hate. The bottom line is that the politicians don't want to stop illegal immigration. Follow the money. Cheap labor is a commodity.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Its not so much that we are better without it, its that the Billions spent on it could be better used elsewhere-including for border security.

Its like buying a $100,000 SUV when a $40,000 van would be the better choice.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:35 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Wait for it, wait for it. Liberal's excuses.

1. Mexico is supposed to pay for it, wah, wah.

2. It's too expensive, wah, wah.

3. It won't work, wah, wah.

4. Better more effective ways, wah wah.

Every lame excuse has been debunked over and over and yet they come back in here day after day like a bunch of parrots repeating the same old nonsense ad nauseum.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
4. Better more effective ways, wah wah.

Every lame excuse has been debunked over and over and yet they come back in here day after day like a bunch of parrots repeating the same old nonsense ad nauseum.

Actually no, that really hasnt been debunked.

Mandatory E-verify. Tell me why its not a good choice?

Old 01-25-2019, 04:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
haven't heard much about this, would have thought we'd have a fence or at least a line in the sand to let people know they are getting too close and to report in at the appropriate check-point to proceed.
A large portion of the border falls in the Rio Grande River.
How does one go about delineating that?

There is Indian land that stretches from the U.S. into Mexico.
Again, how should that be delineated?

The issues that caused the Secure Fence Act of 2006 to be revisited and re-legislated in 2007 still apply. If the OP is really interested in answers, research into that would be a good place to start.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
So much rivalry going on re: wall- pro and con.

Putting politics aside, I can see how we, as a country, can benefit with having a border wall.

For those who are against it how do we benefit by not having a wall?
1. Eminent domain, generally a bad idea. Seizing the property of those who own 2/3 of the border through Texas is not going to go well. We are still seeing eminent domain grabs from the last fence project 8 years ago going through the court now.

2. Along the Rio Grande, a wall, fence, whatever will have serious implications for the flood plain and can result in worse flash flooding and issues for farmers/ranchers.

3. Ecological impacts. Numerous and varied but this could mitigated to a large degree by incorporating corridor technology into fence designs where appropriate but it would be expensive.

4. Mostly I am against the notion of "THE" wall. Physical barriers in some areas maybe warranted, other areas maybe not. A border that is nearly 2000 miles long should not be treated as a simplistic one size fits all item. Each segment should be treated in the best way that suits the needs of the community, the topography, the needs of DHS and the border patrol and so on.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A large portion of the border falls in the Rio Grande River.
How does one go about delineating that?

There is Indian land that stretches from the U.S. into Mexico.
Again, how should that be delineated?

The issues that caused the Secure Fence Act of 2006 to be revisited and re-legislated in 2007 still apply. If the OP is really interested in answers, research into that would be a good place to start.

It wasn't revised due to anything you are claiming.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...mplementation/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies