Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The wall's never gonna be built.

Texas landowners will make sure of it. And they are justified in using deadly force against government agents who come to seize their property.

-Eminent domain is theft
-Taxation is theft
If the landowners attempt to resist with deadly force, I would fully support the government agents using superior deadly force against them.

I don't know the legalities of this matter, but there is something seriously wrong if the United States government's authority over its own border extends no farther than the width of the border itself, which is a theoretical concept that has no actual physical width. The border is -- or, if it isn't, it should be -- analogous to a highway, which consists of the roadway itself but also the land immediately adjacent to it, known as the right of way. The government has the right to widen or otherwise improve the highway within its right of way. This certainly should be the case with our national border as well.

In any case, you may not like eminent domain, but it is not "theft." It is a legal process by which the government can obtain land for a public use, upon paying fair compensation to the owner.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:49 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Another blatant lie.

I've only ever seen the president and his supporters claim that El Paso and other border cities are riddled with crime due to their proximity to the border.

Now y'all want to pretend that you knew all along that El Paso was safe.
What BS.

What is a puzzlement, I'm sure to many, is how a city that is 80% minority is so safe.
Also, how it remains so when thousands of people cross back and forth from Mexico on a daily basis.
I know that it is because the people who live there are good, hardworking people so there is absolutely no "puzzlement" for me.

And yeah, 55 miles is a loooong way.
It's about the distance between Denver and Colorado Springs, which takes all of a hour to drive.

But any little thing, right?
Meh. I didn't know anything much about El Paso. But C-D indicates it's safer than most cities.

Pretty lame, wanting someone to believe that 55 highway miles are the same as 55 desert miles. Nice try.
Another 55 in the Oct budget, and before ya know it, it'll be all built. Dunno why some people feel all triggered about that.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If the landowners attempt to resist with deadly force, I would fully support the government agents using superior deadly force against them.

I don't know the legalities of this matter, but there is something seriously wrong if the United States government's authority over its own border extends no farther than the width of the border itself, which is a theoretical concept that has no actual physical width. The border is -- or, if it isn't, it should be -- analogous to a highway, which consists of the roadway itself but also the land immediately adjacent to it, known as the right of way. The government has the right to widen or otherwise improve the highway within its right of way. This certainly should be the case with our national border as well.

In any case, you may not like eminent domain, but it is not "theft." It is a legal process by which the government can obtain land for a public use, upon paying fair compensation to the owner.
Yeah the gang taking peoples property also has a monopoly on violence and the law and thus declares it "legal". My isn't that convenient?

Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Why didn't the righties say that this deal was enough for them in the first place? Trump could have spared the country all the angst over the shutdown if he had known the minions would take 55 miles of slats on 2000 miles of Texas border and celebrate it.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Considering that another shutdown may have been averted, this thread is remarkably quiet.

Wonder why.

It ain't over till the fat boy signs. Just a few minutes ago he was saying he will "modify the bill", he is back to his "Big Beautiful 'Wall' BS." He is a very dishonest negotiator. Who knew?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-12-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meh. I didn't know anything much about El Paso. But C-D indicates it's safer than most cities.

Pretty lame, wanting someone to believe that 55 highway miles are the same as 55 desert miles. Nice try.
Another 55 in the Oct budget, and before ya know it, it'll be all built. Dunno why some people feel all triggered about that.
Yup. With two shutdowns a year and 55 miles per compromise, we get all of the border done in about 30 years.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
"Build that fence!!!"

Yep, Trump can run down to Home Depot and get himself a really nice fence for about $29.99 per 8 foot section. With the $500 the Democrats gave him, he should be able to do about 150 feet or so !

I love how he said " I am not happy!" I have never seen a more beaten man in my life !

Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
A friend of mine pointed out something I really hadn't considered.

Trump is task oriented. He doesn't care about optics and being politically correct. He just wants the job to get done, progress to be made. The polar opposite of the political class.

He will get it built one way or the other or both and that's driving the left crazy!

"I won't give him one dollar" Pelosi
Now 55 miles. I'll take 55 miles at a time. When that's finished another 55, rinse repeat and so on. Before you know it, it'll be done!
So much for that, Y'all.

You people are projecting how angry you are at this change of events - GOOD!
Let's see.
It's taken Trump two years to get those 55 miles.
At this rate, he'll have what, maybe 110 done in another two?

Okee-dokee.

And, no, I'm not angry.
Not in the least.

Watching y'all spin this as a win is greatly amusing, though.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
55 miles is 55 miles we don't have at this time. I suspect Trump has access to several more billions that can be diverted to wall construction. While I believe neither party really wants to resolve the issue, don't count Trump out just yet!

Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, Trump can run down to Home Depot and get himself a really nice fence for about $29.99 per 8 foot section. With the $500 the Democrats gave him, he should be able to do about 150 feet or so !

I love how he said " I am not happy!" I have never seen a more beaten man in my life !
Trunp says he is not happy but his loyalists on this thread certainly appear to be. I suppose that the alt-right talk shows haven't formed an opinion for them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies