Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Most Americans do not want the wall. Trump shut the government down for no reason besides listening to Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity. His name is on the shutdown, and it will be on the recession/depression if the GOP doesn't put pressure on him to quit being a petulant child and at least pretend he's a leader.

The democrats will be in far more trouble if they capitulate to this would-be dictator.
If Trump had some common sense justifications he might get some traction. For example, he could make a pretty strong argument for improving "the wall" in population dense areas.

But to insist on "a wall" in sparsely populated desert areas, which comprise 90% of the length of the border? Everyone knows there are far better ways of policing those areas than building a physical barrier. Fund THOSE technologies and Trump might get some support. Until then he just looks like a fool.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
All you need is a pole and a hundred foot rope and an entire caravan could leap frog over the wall.

Walls with check points make sense in populated areas. Not so much out in the middle of nowhere.
Right. Unless you have a manned wall (Great Wall of China style) with stations every mile or two in the middle of nowhere. Of course, then there are areas due to the topography of the area that make a wall impractical, if not near-impossible to build anyways.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Lies.
Not everyone wants border security. That lie ranks right up there with "You like your doctor, like your health plan, you can keep them".
I haven't heard many (any I can personally recall) that want filly open borders.

How about the facts that illegal immigration has continued to drop year after year -- without the need of a wall?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Lies.
Not everyone wants border security. That lie ranks right up there with "You like your doctor, like your health plan, you can keep them".
Not a lie.

Nobody wants open borders. Stop listening to your talking heads that tell you that.

By the way I was able to keep my doctor so essentially that wasn't a lie to me. Whataboutism at its essence with your post.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Is making it harder and harder to win anything in 2020.

It was a longshot as it sits before the shutdown, but they are stupidly shooting themselves in the foot e very single day that insist on this petty obstructionist nonsense. Why dont they see that?

"We'll see what happens."

The longer tRump remains in DC, the more damage he does to the GOP.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
I haven't heard many (any I can personally recall) that want filly open borders.

How about the facts that illegal immigration has continued to drop year after year -- without the need of a wall?
What does that have to do with anything at all? Of course there aren't as many illegals coming across the border over past two years. We've begun cracking down on it. What happens when Trump leaves office, and we start getting increases?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
First of all, there is no such race as "brown people". If you are referring to Hispanics, they range from blonde-haired blue-eyed to dark skinned black.

For you to bring race into the conversation is, well...racist Nothing racist about expecting those who want to come here to do so in accordance with our immigration laws.

Second, where has Trump said anything about so-called "brown people"? And if you say he has talked about Mexicans, then you should know this --- not all Mexicans are "brown people".

Third, have you taken a look around you? There are plenty of so-called "brown people" who are here legally as well as US citizens.

Fourth, not everybody sneaking across the border is "brown". There are plenty of OTMs from all over the world who fly into Mexico City and hire coyotes to sneak them in here.

No one has the right to come here illegally or overstay a visa. Period.
Err... those "bad hombres?" I mean, if you know much about psychology, he's painting an image of brown, Mexican people as criminals.

I answered a question about race. I did NOT bring up the topic in the first place, so put down the "you're a racist" paintbrush, buddy.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If those white people from Canada made up the majority of illegal aliens entering our country would you be throwing out the same race/skin color card? No, of course you wouldn't. It's not our fault what the skin color or race of any illegal alien is and it doesn't matter anyway. It's not our fault that most coming here illegally are from south of our border. It is what it is and has nothing to do with that.

There is no irrational fear of illegal aliens the stats of their negative impact on our society are out there for all to read. It's not their skin color that is impacting us negatively it's their unlawful presence in our country.
Again... I answered someone else's question about race. I didn't "throw out" any "race card."

Ask Trump why he referred to Mexicans as "bad hombres" if you want to know why someone was categorizing for his white supremacist core.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think this effort will likely end up like the homeless man who was go-funded and discovered to be running a fraud with the couple who created the go-fund-me account
So that they all were supposed to split the proceeds
Then they stiffed him and he sued
Go fund me eventually refunded all the people who made contributions and I think all 3 are going to jail

I wouldn’t trust this guy as far as I could throw him or his wife...
I also think he's a scammer and I hope he takes every sucker who gave him money for as much of it as he can before he cashes out and moves to a place with no extradition agreements with the US.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Almost no one in the Democratic party opposes border security.

Almost no one in the GOP opposes border security.

This silly govt shutdown is NOT about border security.

It's all about tRump's desire for border drama.

It also keeps Russiagate out of the headlines.

Yes, yes, yes, and more yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies