Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 12:47 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The majority of Americans disagree with you. We don't want it, we know it won't work, and besides, Trump promised Mexico was going to pay for it, not us. Congress (the House, anyway) is reflecting the will of Americans instead of the will of Trump - for a change.

Do you ? I think I'd take this guys opinion on it over Pelosi's or the average person.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-pelosi-doubt/

Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Is making it harder and harder to win anything in 2020.

It was a longshot as it sits before the shutdown, but they are stupidly shooting themselves in the foot e very single day that insist on this petty obstructionist nonsense. Why dont they see that?
Guess you didn't read all the articles I posted about Texans not wanting a wall. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water . . .

Gotta give you your props though. You, Sanders and Trump never fail to stay on your messaging, no matter how false. LOL>

Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
17 criminal aliens are caught at the border....DAILY folks....what about those that slip through?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Let not worry about what the people who are guarding the border say....
Again with these statistics and links to Trump's websites, and I do mean Trump's, who removed much of what was there under Obama. Now we get to read what Trump wants us to swallow as if the voice of reason for all of America! Works for Trump supporters of course, but not everyone!

If we are to take any of this seriously, of all those "criminal aliens" you keep fear mongering about, all "17 daily" (as if that's a UUGE number), HALF are listed with the crime of "illegal entry/re-entry." Not exactly the kind of people grandma needs to pack a gun to protect against. Probably has one or two cleaning her house in fact. Of the 6,259, subtract those "criminals," less another 1,298 categorized as "other" who are probably no more to worry about, and you're down to a whopping 1,324, and some of those are double counted!

Over 1,000 are DUIs. Not good to add to our millions of good Americans with DUIs, but not exactly the sort of criminals that Trump likes to call "rapists and murderers."

Yes, be afraid! Be very afraid, and spill another $5 billion on a "big beautiful wall" while we're at it!

When you can't make your case with numbers that actually and/or accurately demonstrate the level of risk we're truly dealing with here, when like Trump you've got to misrepresent and exaggerate the facts, one really has to wonder about the nature of the case being made in the first place.

Just like Trump had us all wondering about those "thousands and thousands” of people he saw cheering in New Jersey after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Remember that? Bet you bought into all that "hook, line and sinker" as well. Right?

Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
From what my friends in Texas tell me, I would imagine that most Texans would say if you are going to spend five billion on concrete in their state, then use that concrete to help with the overtaxed crowded highways around the Texas Metro areas.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
From what my friends in Texas tell me, I would imagine that most Texans would say if you are going to spend five billion on concrete in their state, then use that concrete to help with the overtaxed crowded highways around the Texas Metro areas.
And this is exactly the point being made by the Dems. The money can be put to better use for the good of the country.

And that is the for the good of the Country. Not for the good of Trump's 30%.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The estimates for the total wall project are $25-30 billion without accounting for overruns. That money could easily be spent on projects that have already been through cost-benefit and feasibility studies and are likely to yield real benefits rather than 13th century nonsense like a border wall.

The sam could be saids for the $10 Billion in foreign aid we promised Mexico and Central America.

Show me the cost-benefit and feasibility studies done for that foreign aid.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again with these statistics and links to Trump's websites, and I do mean Trump's, who removed much of what was there under Obama. Now we get to read what Trump wants us to swallow as if the voice of reason for all of America! Works for Trump supporters of course, but not everyone!

If we are to take any of this seriously, of all those "criminal aliens" you keep fear mongering about, all "17 daily" (as if that's a UUGE number), HALF are listed with the crime of "illegal entry/re-entry." Not exactly the kind of people grandma needs to pack a gun to protect against. Probably has one or two cleaning her house in fact. Of the 6,259, subtract those "criminals," less another 1,298 categorized as "other" who are probably no more to worry about, and you're down to a whopping 1,324, and some of those are double counted!

Over 1,000 are DUIs. Not good to add to our millions of good Americans with DUIs, but not exactly the sort of criminals that Trump likes to call "rapists and murderers."

Yes, be afraid! Be very afraid, and spill another $5 billion on a "big beautiful wall" while we're at it!

When you can't make your case with numbers that actually and/or accurately demonstrate the level of risk we're truly dealing with here, when like Trump you've got to misrepresent and exaggerate the facts, one really has to wonder about the nature of the case being made in the first place.

Just like Trump had us all wondering about those "thousands and thousands” of people he saw cheering in New Jersey after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Remember that? Bet you bought into all that "hook, line and sinker" as well. Right?

LOL...truth hurts...huh....its a fake website because trump owns it....HAHahahahahahahaha, I'm sure he inputs everything, and if what you say is true, the numbers are going the wrong way....

So, the states from 2016 are also false, you know when Obama owned that exact same website.....

The numbers are there whether you like them or not. I'll continue to post them...don't like it, put me on ignore...I don't care...

We just sent 5 billion to mexico...you're probably happy about it.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Are there no advisers around Donald Trump to tell him that, if he did this, it would open him up to the 25th amendment, and at the very least guarantee he'll be a one-term president???

Don't get me wrong, I want Trump to be a one-term president, but is nobody close to him in the White House telling him this would be political suicide!? Or is it that nobody wants to tell him "no?"

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/statu...71579911290881

Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. I also don't care who pays for it, just get it done. I don't understand why the Dems won't budge on this, while trying to get $12 billion more for foreign aid. Why should we be spending $3 billion on the West Bank , Gaza, Syria, and Pakistan ? It certainly does seem like they care very little for our border security.
The issue (here) is that the wall appears to make so little sense in some areas (private land, Rio Grande valley) that even Republicans won't fully fund it. At which point, the concern becomes what Trump might do to dredge up funds. He can't have the military build it or ransack funds appropriated outside Homeland Security.

But it's never been clear whether he might be able to access funds within Homeland Security - and reduce border security where it matters.

That concern may be unfounded but Trump does have a talent for generating chaos and uncertainty.

So, yeah (personally) not building the wall is about "border security." That was my take on day 1 and nothing he's done or said since then really clarifies much.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Are there no advisers around Donald Trump to tell him that, if he did this, it would open him up to the 25th amendment, and at the very least guarantee he'll be a one-term president???

Trump will definitely be a two-term President. The first one is 4 years the second will be 15-20. Bada boom, I'll be here all week folks. Tip your waitress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies