Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

James Watson is one of the world's most distinguished living scientists. The co-discoverer of the DNA double helix, he has been a Nobel laureate for the past 57 years. But establishment media only wishes he would keep his mouth shut and die already.
Quote:
...offered the chance recently to recast a tarnished legacy, Dr. Watson has chosen to reaffirm it, this time on camera. In a new documentary, “American Masters: Decoding Watson,’’ to be broadcast on P.B.S. on Wednesday night, he is asked whether his views about the relationship between race and intelligence have changed.
“No,’’ Dr. Watson said. “Not at all. I would like for them to have changed, that there be new knowledge that says that your nurture is much more important than nature. But I haven’t seen any knowledge. And there’s a difference on the average between blacks and whites on I.Q. tests. I would say the difference is, it’s genetic.’’
Dr. Watson adds that he takes no pleasure in “the difference between blacks and whites’’ and wishes it didn’t exist. “It’s awful, just like it’s awful for schizophrenics,’’ he says. (His son Rufus was diagnosed in his teens with schizophrenia.) Dr. Watson continues: “If the difference exists, we have to ask ourselves, how can we try and make it better?
Understand problems clearly, describe them truthfully, think about how to make them better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/s...gtype=Homepage

2019: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in ..., by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Why does he “take no pleasure” in the differences? Why does he “wish they didn’t exist?” That’s pretty stupid to me.

We are what we are. If my IQ is lower on average than a white man’s, so what? If the white man is a normal human being characterized by love and empathy for his fellow man, why should it matter? Answer: it shouldn’t.

But it DOES matter if the man with this superior intellect and high IQ has evil intentions and wants nothing more than to subjugate people that he sees as less intelligent, and therefore less deserving of the human dignity that he reserves for himself.

That wouldn’t be the REAL issue now....would it OP? Just asking.

We aren’t all the same individually, ethnically or racially. The overwhelming majority of people are fine with that notion. However OP...I’m really not interested in your “solutions” to make things better. Keep ‘em to yourself. I’ve got a better solution...you stay outta my way and I’ll stay outta yours.

We don’t have to like each other in this country. We just have to coexist...peaceably. You can be smarter than me and I’ll be dumber than you. That’s a deal I’ll make so long as you stay in your place and don’t get cute with any of your damn “solutions.”

Old 01-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why does he “take no pleasure” in the differences? Why does he “wish they didn’t exist?” That’s pretty stupid to me.

We are what we are. If my IQ is lower on average than a white man’s, so what? If the white man is a normal human being characterized by love and empathy for his fellow man, why should it matter? Answer: it shouldn’t.

But it DOES matter if the man with this superior intellect and high IQ has evil intentions and wants nothing more than to subjugate people that he sees as less intelligent, and therefore less deserving of the human dignity that he reserves for himself.

That wouldn’t be the REAL issue now....would it OP?
Yes, treating others with human dignity despite differences is important...
Quote:
Just asking.

We aren’t all the same individually, ethnically or racially. The overwhelming majority of people are fine with that notion. However OP...I’m really not interested in your “solutions” to make things better. Keep ‘em to yourself. I’ve got a better solution...you stay outta my way and I’ll stay outta yours.

We don’t have to like each other in this country. We just have to coexist...peaceably. You can be smarter than me and I’ll be dumber than you. That’s a deal I’ll make so long as you stay in your place and don’t get cute with any of your damn “solutions.”
... but so is finding solutions to society's problems. The bold is fine, but of very limited utility.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, treating others with human dignity despite differences is important...
... but so is finding solutions to society's problems. The bold is fine, but of very limited utility.
Then you’ll just have to deal with that limited utility and make the best of it. That’s the only choice you have. Try anything else and limited utility will be the least of your problems.

Let sleeping dogs lie...leave well enough alone. You don’t really want what you think you want. Folks like myself will buck at your solutions, and that won’t do either one of us any favors although you seem to be deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. You’d better be more realistic and have a Snickers.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:00 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:

That wouldn’t be the REAL issue now....would it OP? Just asking.

You do not seem like a stupid guy, nor a bad person. On the contrary on both points. I have the feeling if we were neighbors, we could be friends. Probably disagree on a bunch of stuff, but still ok with each other.

Just a hunch.

I dont dig these racial intelligience studies. Yes, I've read the Bell Curve. I prefer to take people one at a time.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i saw a study where people from northern states was smarter than southern states like mississippi and alabama. There was talking about some test, I was only paying half attention to it. The result was like 96.7 for northern states to 96.3 of southern states. The differents was so small, rounding of number would change it. but it was still a differents.

i wonder what type numbers this professor got

Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
There’s no way to fix the mean IQ differences; Asians are always going to be smarter than whites and whites are always going to be smarter than blacks on average. Of course that’s not to say that there aren’t some blacks who are smarter than some whites and asians there are plenty but the average is impossible to fix. IQ is highly hereditary no amount of schooling can fix someone’s IQ, it can give it a little boost during schooling but later in life after your done with school it will regress back to the mean. 2 high IQ black people will likely have a smart child and 2 low IQ white people will likely have a low IQ child. All hereditary, very little environmental impacts.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
He's a scientist who cannot bring himself to state what he knows isn't true according his evaluation, but knows what the visceral reaction will be in regard to that statement. A large portion of White people dislike invoking strong negative reactions from people, and the entire system of manners is largely a system to avoid that type of confrontation. He's trying to be polite. Stating that isn't "stupid", its an approach to manners that he can't help being beholden to as an elderly gentleman from an earlier time. Its typical British behavior and he isn't used to the bare-knuckle style of modern confrontation.

Quote:
We are what we are. If my IQ is lower on average than a white man’s, so what?
True. I'll add that it holds true in regard to the compared bell curves across all races.

Quote:
If the white man is a normal human being characterized by love and empathy for his fellow man, why should it matter? Answer: it shouldn’t
That depends what you mean by "love and empathy". If you mean "do no active harm" then I agree. If you mean "contribute every resource, adjust every institution, and anything else to give the appearance of equal ability and outcomes" then I do not. The words would then just be code for codified Marxism.

Quote:
Trust me when I state that no modern White person in the general public has any interest in subjugation of anyone. The current objective is to keep our heads above water. That being said, we aren't really interested in adjusting our rules (ie: criminal laws) or institutional standards to accommodate folks who can not work within them. I do not consider that to be subjugation, but others would certainly frame it like that if given the opportunity.

Quote:
I couldn't have stated it better.

Last edited by golgi1; 01-01-2019 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've always accepted the IQ differences based on ethnicity and don't give a hoot that there are various groups who, on average, have a higher IQ than me. It's quite obvious when I'm around someone who is intellectually superior regardless of our ethnicities. Since it's indisputable we should figure out how to best work with it, but it conflicts with current thinking.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Then you’ll just have to deal with that limited utility and make the best of it. That’s the only choice you have. Try anything else and limited utility will be the least of your problems.

Let sleeping dogs lie...leave well enough alone. You don’t really want what you think you want. Folks like myself will buck at your solutions, and that won’t do either one of us any favors although you seem to be deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. You’d better be more realistic and have a Snickers.
I'm still working on understanding the problems... haven't even proposed a solution yet. Meanwhile lots of people are out there trying to mandate bad solutions, working from bad premises and bad information, never even coming close to understanding what they're trying to fix. Most of the Democratic Party falls into this camp. Affirmative action, diversity quotas, sensitivity training... every liberal politician has a solution they want more of. I don't see you bucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies