Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
IN the US, you can be fired if you do not follow compelled speech. Just ask the teacher. he was fired for what he did NOT say. He would not use the demanded pronoun. He used the demanded name, and did NOT use the nondemanded pronoun. He was as respectful as he could be, calling the student by name, and was still fired.

You can also be jailed in Canada. I suggest you do some research.
He was fired for simple insubordination.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
You don't have a right to a job, and they are not required by law to hire or continue to retain your services. That is freedom of association. If I call my boss a jackass, I can also get fired. Oh woe is me, they are suppressing my free speech, compelling me not to call my boss a jackass! Someone halp!

So a employer fired an employee, big whoop.

This ain't Canada, what they do in their house is their business not ours.
You still are not understanding.

The teacher was fired for COMPELLED speech. That means, the teacher was being forced to use specific words. Since the teacher did not use the demanded pronouns, he was fired.

He called the student by the name the student wanted, was respectful and did not call the student by the "insulting" pronoun. Just by name. The teacher was 100% respectful to the student.

And was fired any way. Because he did not speak the exact words that the student DEMANDED to hear.

Compelled speech. Forced speech.

How can someone be fired for something they did not say?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:39 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
No, it's spot on. The poster's argument was that since something existed before, it means it's normal.

Just because something existed before has no bearing on its normalcy.
As someone before pointed out you are not the morality police.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
You are reading major emotions into my posts that do not exist.

The anger is coming from you --- becuase you would "banned" by all those kind words you would post, right?

Simply because I do not want my rights to my speech messed with. Just stunning. Go ahead and write your hatefilled rant. I look forward to your display of tolerance.
Oh, the irony.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
No one anywhere has said that it is a problem that they "openly exist."

The problem occurs when the movement tries to force ideology on others, via compelled speech, indoctrination in public schools, and cries of bigotry.

Most people -- especially posters here -- do not seem to understand the difference, so I'll explain.

Pick a hobby. Any hobby. Now imagine everyone is forced to not only participate, but you have to like it too. You have to say how much you love it and you have to support others who participate. If you don;t you are called hateful and mean. But you don;t hate the people who are participating, they are your friends. You just have ZERO interest in the hobby and want nothing to do with it. Others can do as they please, as long as they leave you alone.

But you aren't given that option. Becuase they are forcing you to participate. Or be called horrific names.

That's the equivalent.
Only, it's not.

Does anyone force you to be transgender? Nope.

You are only expected not to be rude to trans folks. That's all. Not to discriminate against them, mock them, or refuse to use their chosen gender pronouns.

Note: you can always refer to a trans person by name instead of using pronouns, so the argument that you're somehow forced to call a "man" a "woman" when you disagree with their gender affiliation is moot.

If Larry comes out as trans and now wants to be referred to as "she" and called Laura, you can always just call Larry "Laura" and avoid referring to Larry as female it it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Only, it's not.

Does anyone force you to be transgender? Nope.

You are only expected not to be rude to trans folks. That's all. Not to discriminate against them, mock them, or refuse to use their chosen gender pronouns.

Note: you can always refer to a trans person by name instead of using pronouns, so the argument that you're somehow forced to call a "man" a "woman" when you disagree with their gender affiliation is moot.

If Larry comes out as trans and now wants to be referred to as "she" and called Laura, you can always just call Larry "Laura" and avoid referring to Larry as female it it makes you uncomfortable.
And a teacher was fired for doing that.

He called the student by name only, avoided using the pronoun the student didn't want, and was fired ... for what he did NOT say ... the demanded pronoun.

Where did I say that it's OK to be rude? Nope, didn't say it. Ever. People can be civil, people should be civil. And that is exactly what I would do/have done. Name only.

But we are LOSING free speech. And people seriously aren't understanding it. At all.

No one should force anyone else to say things that they do not want to say.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:49 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
You are reading major emotions into my posts that do not exist.

The anger is coming from you --- becuase you would "banned" by all those kind words you would post, right?

Simply because I do not want my rights to my speech messed with. Just stunning. Go ahead and write your hatefilled rant. I look forward to your display of tolerance.
Who, precisely, is "messing with your rights to speech"?

This ought to be good....

Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
And a teacher was fired for doing that.

He called the student by name only, avoided using the pronoun the student didn't want, and was fired ... for what he did NOT say ... the demanded pronoun.

Where did I say that it's OK to be rude? Nope, didn't say it. Ever. People can be civil, people should be civil. And that is exactly what I would do/have done. Name only.

But we are LOSING free speech. And people seriously aren't understanding it. At all.

No one should force anyone else to say things that they do not want to say.

Actually I do not believe you are telling the entire story here. I seem to recall reading that the teacher refereed to the trans student out loud as their birth gender. The teacher said it was a slip up. Teacher was then asked to sign a document stating that he would not slip up again. Teacher refused.
Not defending the teacher being fired mind you, but just stating some details that were reported.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Why are trannies and their supporters so insistent on normalizing the abnormal over the storm that’s happening between their ears, not ours? I fight it because I don’t want to work with one with an expectation that I will be expected to call he a she or face HR’s wrath. I don’t want my daughter indoctrinated with the idea that a fellow student can suddenly decide to be something other that what it is, or be forced to team with one on classroom assignments, or have a tranny prancing around in her locker room after swim practice. These creatures need help and should get it, not expect the rest of us to cater to their delusions. Their feelings be damned, the rest of us, the other 99.9999% of humanity, have feelings also. A dude in a dress is still a dude.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i thought a trans gender person was a gay person that didnt want to be called gay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies