Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If Trump declares a state of emergency, does that mean that the shutdown ends right away?

And if it does end right away and the declaration is overturned by judges, would the shutdown resume or stay shut down?
No, it would not mean the government opens right away. He would still need to sign a bill that funds the closed parts. At that point, the government would stay open for however long as the bill provided funding for regardless of whether the declaration was overturned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM

164 posts, read 119,092 times
Have those government employees never heard of an emergency fund? It's not like this is the first time we've had a shutdown. They should have been prepared.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM

702 posts, read 539,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Go outside and get some fresh air. Take a couple of deep breaths. It will be good for you my friend.

Why don't I go outside and get some fresh air and think about how I don't have to hide from the insidious implications of my grotesque attitudes. It will be good for me.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I read that people might not get their food stamps, rental assistance, and disaster relief if there is a prolonged government shutdown lasting several months or years.

Personally, I don't believe food stamps, rental assistance, or disaster relief should be the responsibility of the government. Why don't people work for what they have like I had to do my whole life rather than depending on the government for food and housing? As far as disaster relief goes, maintaining homeowner's insurance is an individual's responsibility. That is part of the cost of home ownership. The taxpayer shouldn't bear the burden of people irresponsible enough to go uninsured.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
What about all of the people who are being forced to work without pay? How are they supposed to feed their kids, pay their mortgages? Car payments? SMDH

Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Thanks for the answers. I hope he tries to declare the state of emergency, then. It seems like that would get everything opened faster than waiting for some compromise that isn't happening.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
What about all of the people who are being forced to work without pay? How are they supposed to feed their kids, pay their mortgages? Car payments? SMDH
Yes the government should reprioritize it's resource allocation and take money from somewhere that doesn't involve someone's paycheck.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
They would still have to pass a budget or continuing resolution to reopen the unfunded parts of government currently shut down.

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Default Pompeo, in Cairo rebukes legacy of Obama. Addressing the Muslim world, Age of self-inflicted American shame is over.

( wrong thread, tried to delete without success ) ignore and carry on. Lets see if I can edit it to nothing.

apparently not.

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPer View Post
and you think that the American people will reelect and not support the impeachment when his crimes are revealed with an fool that shuts down the government as a ploy to get his way?
Trump will appear to "win" if he declares a national emergency to get his $5B, and his hardcore base will be hooting and hollering in celebration - but this act will be sure to solidify more and more people into opposition against him.

Right now, there aren't a lot of people seriously considering impeachment. Seems like it is unlikely anyone will pursue it, but that could change if he does something like this.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It is not the Dems responsibility to make good on the cockamamie stuff that Trump promised his base during his campaign. He told them Mexico is going to pay for a 2000 mile concrete wall. So let him make good on that. He needs to be talking to Mexico.
He didnt say mexico was going to cut a check. They are paying for it. By having to house and pay for those who get stopped by the wall and get stuck in mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies