Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
McConnell won't let anything through unless it has Trump's wall money. He doesn't care that people aren't getting paid.

Indeed, Senator McConnell has just stated that he would not allow any floor vote on a House bill that he believes Mr. Trump would veto.

I am old enough to recall when the United States Senate was an independent body not subject to any President. The Senate used to call itself the 'greatest deliberative body in the world', in part due to the filibuster rules. They simply had to have the 'opposition party' agree to any compromise.

Indeed, I was against then Majority Leader Harry Reid's 'nuclear option' regarding the lower Federal Courts. I thought him a fool to believe that the Republicans, once they got power (for the pendulum swings, continually), would not respond with such for Justices of the Supreme Court.

Anyway, people should be alarmed that the Majority Leader of the US Senate has stated, outright, that his chamber is a tool for the President.

President Trump now controls not only the Executive Branch, but one-half of Congress. I dare you to cite to me any quote by the Framers in which they thought this would occur, or be beneficial to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What are you yammering about? What about making yourself clear? Is that even possible?

You can't comprehend what I'm getting at? Let me explain it to you. Obama faced a similar scenario. One would have thought that with things in his favor he could have rammed amnesty through and crammed it down our throats. Yet it didn't happen. Ponder that and you will get your answer as to why Trump couldn't get the wall previously.

Is that really so difficult?
He didn't get the wall previously because it wasn't an 'emergency'. Passing a big tax cut for his rich cronies was his *emergency* at that time.

Although his first order of business, I believe, was trying to throw a whole bunch of people off of healthcare with no replacement in mind.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Indeed, Senator McConnell has just stated that he would not allow any floor vote on a House bill that he believes Mr. Trump would veto.

I am old enough to recall when the United States Senate was an independent body not subject to any President. The Senate used to call itself the 'greatest deliberative body in the world', in part due to the filibuster rules. They simply had to have the 'opposition party' agree to any compromise.

Indeed, I was against then Majority Leader Harry Reid's 'nuclear option' regarding the lower Federal Courts. I thought him a fool to believe that the Republicans, once they got power (for the pendulum swings, continually), would not respond with such for Justices of the Supreme Court.

Anyway, people should be alarmed that the Majority Leader of the US Senate has stated, outright, that his chamber is a tool for the President.

President Trump now controls not only the Executive Branch, but one-half of Congress. I dare you to cite to me any quote by the Framers in which they thought this would occur, or be beneficial to the country.
This was likely not the first time a Senate President has done that, but it was explicitly said which is for the most part new. I'm sure there were talks of it when Reid was Senate President.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Just read...Canadian air route traffic centre employees bought pizza and salad for all those working in bordering US states air route traffic control centres. Those working at these US centres are working and not getting paid like myself. Thank you Canadians for showing compassion that US citizens don't have.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Just read...Canadian air route traffic centre employees bought pizza and salad for all those working in bordering US states air route traffic control centres. Those working at these US centres are working and not getting paid like myself. Thank you Canadians for showing compassion that US citizens don't have.
That was very human and nice. Seems our elected officials should do the same.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That was very human and nice. Seems our elected officials should do the same.
I know people being kind to each other and empathetic amazing isn't it!

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I know people being kind to each other and empathetic amazing isn't it!
That is nice of the Canadians but on the other side of the proposed wall, embassy’s local workers are also not getting paid. How’s that sit with our allies ?? Most agreement state these folks have to come to work too - with out pay. Facts

Old 01-11-2019, 09:37 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
https://twitter.com/FedcourtJunkie/s...87354685911040

Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
A few billion for border security and this all goes away.
Yup, Democrats know they can meet Trump halfway for 2.5 or 3 billion but they won't, because it's Trump

They're gambling with a man who has nothing to lose. So when it's re-election time for democrats and they don't win, they can remember this moment where they rather have their constituents starving and missing their mortgage than vote for border security.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
nope

Republicans controlled congress for 8 years. Dems had Obama and congress for two years and passed the biggest reform of healthcare in our lifetimes.

Trump had two years all he really cared about was his big tax scam.

If trump really wanted the wall he would have formed a budget that the dems could not refuse to sign and then congress could later pay for the wall through Budget Reconciliation. Trump chose not too. And instead opted for to push through the TAX SCAM
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies