Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Poor liberals: "They had a shutdown, but no one missed the portions o govt closed".

This may lead, long term, to more limited government.
I have to admire your attitude. Kind of like the guy walking on the railroad trestle. Can hear the train whistle approaching, but everything must be OK as no train has hit him yet.

This train may yet hit Trump and it won't be pretty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:29 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
They have a very rational reason not to negotiate. They had a deal and Trump backed out. Trump said that he wanted to own the shutdown. He doesn't want to budge on his demand. Might as well let him twist in the wind on this issue as he is getting most of the blame. Like with a child, sometimes they have to learn that they can't always get their way.
Yep.

Quote:
”You want to know something?” Mr. Trump finally said, exasperated. “I’ll tell you what: I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck.”
“I will take the mantle,” Mr. Trump went on. “I will be the one to shut it down — I’m not going to blame you for it.”
The pretzel logic being used to deny his own words is nothing short of dumbfounding.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
I have to admire your attitude. Kind of like the guy walking on the railroad trestle. Can hear the train whistle approaching, but everything must be OK as no train has hit him yet.

This train may yet hit Trump and it won't be pretty
May? LOL!

We may hit MegaMillions, too.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
They have a very rational reason not to negotiate. They had a deal and Trump backed out. Trump said that he wanted to own the shutdown. He doesn't want to budge on his demand. Might as well let him twist in the wind on this issue as he is getting most of the blame. Like with a child, sometimes they have to learn that they can't always get their way.
It takes two to tango. The dems are refusing to negotiate. Dems care about illegal aliens instead of American citizens.

If they cared about their furloughed constituents, then they should be coming to the table to work on a compromise. They wanted Trump to end the shutdown and then talk about border security later. Trump was smart not to trust the dems as they have proven themselves to be unworthy of trust. Reagan (whom I was no fan of) believed the promises dems made in order to get the 1986 amnesty. Once the amnesty happened, dems reneged on every promise they made. They promised that the border would be secured (it never has been secured); 2) They said that the 1986 amnesty would be the one and only amnesty to ever happen (there have been several stealth amnesties since then); and 3) They promised that no illegal would ever be able to find a job (currently we have 8 million no-match SSNs in the workforce).

It's not just Trump who isn't "budging". The dems aren't "budging" either.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Of course not! They will be transporting them in those "unbelievable vehicles" trump says they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8f7sH6wjA
Okay---now you've been already called out on that^^^^nonsense. So, why are you repeating it yet again?

The average illegal won't have such vehicles---and you know it, too. It will be the cartels who will have those. They've already painted vehicles to resemble legit BP vehicles. They also even painted trucks to look like FedEx trucks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/drug...ehicles-2014-6

Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump's $5 billion is downpayment on a boondoggle that will cost billions more. It's a stupid waste of money.

Pass mandatory E-Verify with significant penalties. That would go a lot farther to solving not only those crossing at the border but those overstaying their visas.

If that was the alternative choice you *might* have a point. But that is not the alternative to not building the wall. Still waiting on this new Democratic House to introduce an e-verify bill or any other alternative solution.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
As a patriotic and loyal citizen, I follow instructions issued by my president.

President Trump said he will take the blame for the shutdown. It was so entered into the public record.

Yes sir, Mr. Trump, I blame you for the shutdown. Following your orders as requested, sir.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Individual 1 supporters like to be conned and lied to as long as it comes from their unindicted co-conspirators mouth.

This opinion piece is spot on.

The GOP has become the drunken frat-boy party — and it sees no reason to sober up

Quote:
Traditional Republican presidents such as Calvin Coolidge, Dwight D. Eisenhower and George H.W. Bush were not very exciting, but they were very responsible. They wanted to manage the government effectively and to live within our means. Those days are long gone. The GOP has metamorphosed from the preternaturally mature “Father Knows Best” party to the perpetually juvenile “Van Wilder” party. It wants to live it up, moon the grown-ups and dodge the consequences.
Quote:
The GOP’s proclivity for using government shutdowns to force through its agenda is another example of its drunken frat-boy antics. The three longest government shutdowns in U.S. history were all caused by Republican temper tantrums.
Quote:
The current, partial shutdown — the longest on record at more than three weeks and counting — is even more reckless and ill-advised, having begun on Dec. 22 when Republicans still controlled both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. The “border emergency” used to justify the funding stoppage is a figment of the xenophobic imaginations of Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and Donald Trump. The number of apprehensions at the southern border declined 75 percent in the past two decades — from 1.6 million in 2000 to 397,000 last year. The number of undocumented immigrants in the United States is at a 15-year low. Immigrants, both legal and illegal, commit fewer crimes than the native-born. And there has never been a terrorist attack in the United States carried out by terrorists who entered the United States from Mexico.
Quote:
A party that felt an iota of responsibility to the country would be alarmed by these developments and would reopen the government even if it meant overriding the president’s veto. But for the drunken frat-boy party, the damage inflicted by its ideological bender is no reason to sober up. Indeed, for the most antigovernment Republicans, the shutdown is a feature, not a bug, because it is shrinking, at least for a few weeks, the size of the government. The Republicans of yesteryear would send today’s Republicans to their rooms without any supper.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.84b4ff898ac2

Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
As a patriotic and loyal citizen, I follow instructions issued by my president.

President Trump said he will take the blame for the shutdown. It was so entered into the public record.

Yes sir, Mr. Trump, I blame you for the shutdown. Following your orders as requested, sir.

Do you blame him or give him credit?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I thought I would share. My sons and I love going to see them.

https://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/...ently-furlough

The world famous Harlem Globetrotters announced today that the team is offering complimentary game tickets to any U.S. government employee currently on furlough to the 2019 Fan Powered North American tour.

“As the Ambassadors of Goodwill, we want to show our support to all those government workers whose paychecks, and by extension their families, are directly impacted,” said Globetrotter President Howard Smith.

Any U.S. government employee currently on furlough can show their valid government ID at their local box office and receive two complimentary tickets to a Harlem Globetrotter game in North America while supplies last. The offer is only valid during the current government shutdown and is not valid on previously purchased tickets. Quantities are limited and seat locations vary by venue. Fans are asked to check with their local box office for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies